Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jut took my new Epi out today and got the first paint scratch!!! I was re-mounting the bike and VERY softly I scraped the top tube with the clip under my shoe! Now I have a short line that shows the aluminum!!!

My old Truth was also black anodized, but the the rough feel to it. This one would have never lost paint that easily, it would take a VERY hard hit to do this.

Is it the paint? Or is the aluminum 'softer'...

Has anyone noticed this? I'm actually thinking of getting some 3M clear protector for all the main tubes....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re...

natemirus said:
The Epiphany is not painted, it's anodized. The Truth was shot peened than anodized to give it that texture.
Yeap... But I expected the anodize to be pretty strong given the experience I had with the Truth. Then the 'shot peened' treatment gives it more resistance? Is then the Anodize just as 'weak' as paint (without the peeling or cracking)?

·
GoCyco
359 Posts
I'm kinda worried about the "new" Epi ano. My '04 Moment is bombproof. It still looks great. But my old Santa Cruz Superlight, which also has a smoother ano finish like the Epi, is pretty scratched up. It even has huge gouges where the cables are literally cutting into the tubes! One crash on the SL turned my bars so that my brake lever ended up crossing the top tube, producing a nice scratch down to aluminum. I hate it when that happens!

I'd be interested to hear more on how the Epi finish is holding up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.