Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has the finish on the Epi Rockers been a problem for anyone?

Any ideas what could be going on with mine? Seems like rust pits :sad: , but they are silver.. Have not tried to polish them out yet... Suggestions?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Magnesium is very prone to salt corrosion. That's why they only use the material for freshwater fishing reels and not for saltwater.

Do you live near the ocean or come in contact with road salt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oops...really?!

I live in Puerto Rico... And (not frequently) have gone to seaside trails... Any idea on how to fix the finish? I'm surprised since all my components are 3x as old as the frame and no rust or finish issues... Weird also tha it is only on 2 spots... tnxs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Borinken said:
I live in Puerto Rico... And (not frequently) have gone to seaside trails... Any idea on how to fix the finish? I'm surprised since all my components are 3x as old as the frame and no rust or finish issues... Weird also tha it is only on 2 spots... tnxs
You might try some mag wheel polish but use one with no abrasive qualities to it. I doubt you'd want to alodine it afterwards (because it's ugly) but you might consider taking it apart to clean it and spray a clear over it to prevent it from happening again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
First thing you should do is do something to neutralize whatever is eating the magnesium so it doesn't corrode further.

Wash it with some soap and plenty of freshwater. Maybe mix some baking soda into water to clean it too in case acid got on it.

Give Ellsworth a call or email them to see what they recommend.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
37,888 Posts
ahimanic said:
Magnesium is very prone to salt corrosion. That's why they only use the material for freshwater fishing reels and not for saltwater.

Do you live near the ocean or come in contact with road salt?
It's prone to corrosion in general. A few airplanes were made with magnesium parts, and some still exist, but it's usually a bad idea in it's pure form. Some alloys don't corrode as much, but then you start to lose the advantage of magnesium. This is why aircraft are made out of aluminum generally, even though magnesium could offer lighter weight with plenty of strength in some structures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,721 Posts
Jayem said:
It's prone to corrosion in general. A few airplanes were made with magnesium parts, and some still exist, but it's usually a bad idea in it's pure form. Some alloys don't corrode as much, but then you start to lose the advantage of magnesium. This is why aircraft are made out of aluminum generally, even though magnesium could offer lighter weight with plenty of strength in some structures.
I'm with you. un coated magnesium was a bad idea. works good for fork lowers, but they are painted....:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I would media blast them to clean them up and then coat them with some compatible paint or powder coat them. There is clear powder coat, if you want the unpainted look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
I don't know much about metals, but if Magnesium is prone to corrosion from salt, could it be corroding from your sweat? In the lastest MBA, there's a review of the Ephiphany. In the article, they disliked how their calves would rub against the rockers. Just a thought of what could be causing the issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
SprocketHead said:
I don't know much about metals, but if Magnesium is prone to corrosion from salt, could it be corroding from your sweat? In the lastest MBA, there's a review of the Ephiphany. In the article, they disliked how their calves would rub against the rockers. Just a thought of what could be causing the issue.
I bet just dripping sweat from a hot ride, or sports drink, would be enough to cause corrosion. If you ride in the winter where the salt the roads, that would be the worst. Bare magnesium is a bad idea. Powder coat is probably the best fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Borinken said:
Has the finish on the Epi Rockers been a problem for anyone?

Any ideas what could be going on with mine? Seems like rust pits :sad: , but they are silver.. Have not tried to polish them out yet... Suggestions?
I bought an Epithany 2 months ago....... and the problem same to yours appeared recently due to my sweat............. as it;s not serrious as yours.............

is it a design fault or the finsihing is suck as u said........... pls advice whether it could be claimed with Ellsworth or not........... ths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Ugg - That SUCKS!!!
I would call Ellsworth ASAP! ...and PLEASE, let us know what Ells has to say about proper care for these rockers.
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,336 Posts
Dave or other Ells reps:
Please reply to this thread, as photos like this and/or statements of sweat/sports drink causing corrosion are enough to take this bike off my, and probably others, short list of new frames IF true....
Thanks,
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
This is a known issue with Magnesium. In fact, I tried to polish a Magnesium lower for an 02 Boxxer only to find it blackened due to contact with air in only 12 hours. Pitted Mg, due to reactions with alkali metals and salts, is far worse as it EATS the metal away making the piece weaker. This is not a light issue. If left unattended you could find the piece uncoupling from the frame.

This whole point to me is retarded. The added savings in weight from Mg to Al for the rockers, of such size, is negligible. You could add the weight with a sweater (even less) and to introduce a known metalurgical problem when it was not needed is sad. Of course, Tony could of used Titanium to solve the issue, but again his cost conscious mind kicked in. So now he has a warranty issue, and a big one too. You would use 6/4 Ti, but it is extremely tough to cut and machine, so it was excluded. Not so for Mg.

Why, why, why?

If you really wanted to save weight, get a truth.

As far as I know, no major maker makes use of Mg on frames unless it is painted or anodized to prevent the pitting, but I suppose Tony already knew that. There are NO bare Mg fork lowers (the reason for the paint on the Fox 40). A problem that shouldn't of existed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
That would remove what little protective finish there is and then the whole piece would be susceptible. I would contact Ellsworth immediately and demand a remedy. Sadly, the only one would be Al rockers to aleviate the issue completely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
blackfly said:
This whole point to me is retarded. The added savings in weight from Mg to Al for the rockers, of such size, is negligible. You could add the weight with a sweater (even less) and to introduce a known metalurgical problem when it was not needed is sad. Of course, Tony could of used Titanium to solve the issue, but again his cost conscious mind kicked in. So now he has a warranty issue, and a big one too. You would use 6/4 Ti, but it is extremely tough to cut and machine, so it was excluded. Not so for Mg.
Ti is heavier than Mg or Al, would not be an advantage. Al is probably the best material for this type of part, just like is used for almost every other frame of this general configuration.

Even if the Mg rockers were powder coated, there could end up being problems down the road at the bearing interfaces (which would have to be masked off, or machined after PC). Maybe they'll offer Al replacement rockers. Hopefully this won't turn into another CS fiasco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Hey all, hoep you enjoyed some god riding over the weekend. Personally got my ass handed to me by a guy who claimed not to ride that much--always a pleasure.

OK, Magnesium surface flaking. Not something we have experienced yet. Despite some of the wilder posts, this is a finish problem and not a structural problem. Magnesium which is silver goes through two protective steps. First is is sealed with Chromate which gives it the gold color that you know and then it is clear coated so seside rides followed by no warm soapy bath would be a bad thing. Lots of sweat followed by no soapy bath would be a bad thing. Many road frams suffer from blistering where the head tube meets the top tube because of this same thing. I think this would have to be a lot of sweat or sorts drink to make this happen so just be aware of this and bathe your baby if in fact you are a sweaty fellow.

Sweaty guys notwithstanding, if you have a rocker that is showing this finish wear and it bothers you, send it back to me and I will have it inspected and refinished as new. I don't want anyone riding around not feeling good about their steed.Simply have your dealer contact our warrnaty department and we will take care of it free of charge.
Take care,
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
I think this would have to be a lot of sweat or sorts drink to make this happen so just be aware of this and bathe your baby if in fact you are a sweaty fellow.

Dave
Do you know anyone (that really rides) that is not a "sweaty fellow"?

So you are saying the solution to this issue is to either not sweat, or wash the rockers after every ride? Seriously?
 
1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Top