Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.enve.com/en/support/war...anty/&utm_campaign=Lifetime Warranty, Service

This is looking even better than SC now, looks like replacement at no cost even for accidents.

"Damage from an Accident (car rack incidents, exhaust pipes, dog ate your wheel, etc…) - Damaged ENVE product will be replaced at no cost. Parts, labor, and return shipping covered by ENVE."

I'm not quite sure what exactly is the 5-year warranty now vs Lifetime accident protection.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
As I understand it...

Just the carbon hoops are covered under lifetime warranty.

Everything else....stems, Seatpost, hubs, etc...are under the 5yr warranty.

I’m guessing spokes would fall under 5yr warranty...but spokes are relatively cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Not to mention they are at the very top of the market price-wise and they are not at the top of the market in terms of weight, stiffness or any other features... previously, including warranty.

I am sure the last 3 years have not been kind to ENVE's wheel sales with the emergence of (somewhat/reasonably/very?) reliable branded chinese carbon like Light-Bicycle, as well as a zillion other name brand competitors.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Competition/ capitalism at its best!

I’ve had no issues...but glad to know I’m now covered under a lifetime warranty. Assuming the company is around when I need them.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Not to mention they are at the very top of the market price-wise and they are not at the top of the market in terms of weight, stiffness or any other features... previously, including warranty.

I am sure the last 3 years have not been kind to ENVE's wheel sales with the emergence of (somewhat/reasonably/very?) reliable branded chinese carbon like Light-Bicycle, as well as a zillion other name brand competitors.
Yeah ENVE used to be really exotic when they were among the only ones making carbon rims. In those days there was a real "wow" factor to the very idea that maybe justified the crazy price. Funny line from that PB article: "They are also proud of the fact that their wheelsets essentially cost the same as they did 10-years ago when they started." Considering how the price and exotic-ness of carbon has dropped in that time, this seems like a flaw not a feature!

Now that there are dozens of options that perform as well or better and have decent warranties at under half the price, I can't imagine why anyone is even considering these anymore. Adapt or die, I guess?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I got a set of CB Synthesis wheels(review coming soon) in a pro-deal. I would not pay retail pricing otherwise. Having ridden a few bikes with ENVE wheels, they're just waaay too stiff in comparison to the CB Synthesis wheelset. Even if the ENVEs weren't expensive, they're just full blown too uncompromising and uncomfortable, at least for me.

There are a few other wheelsets out there that approach ENVE's price range, like CB or Zipp, but at least they bring something new to the table. And believe it or not, CB's compliant front and stiff rear... actually makes a remarkable difference. Review coming soon.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
I got a set of CB Synthesis wheels(review coming soon) in a pro-deal. I would not pay retail pricing otherwise. Having ridden a few bikes with ENVE wheels, they're just waaay too stiff in comparison to the CB Synthesis wheelset. Even if the ENVEs weren't expensive, they're just full blown too uncompromising and uncomfortable, at least for me.

There are a few other wheelsets out there that approach ENVE's price range, like CB or Zipp, but at least they bring something new to the table. And believe it or not, CB's compliant front and stiff rear... actually makes a remarkable difference. Review coming soon.
I spent a lot of money on my suspension. If I can feel rim harshness through a low pressure 2.4 and past my suspension, something went terribly wrong. By a lot!

A 2100 gram trail wheelset in 2019 is pretty far towards the low end. We're seeing big, wide wheels closer to 1700g... Then consider the astronomical $3000 price tag, and im wondering how anyone could justify that!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I spent a lot of money on my suspension. If I can feel rim harshness through a low pressure 2.4 and past my suspension, something went terribly wrong. By a lot!

A 2100 gram trail wheelset in 2019 is pretty far towards the low end. We're seeing big, wide wheels closer to 1700g... Then consider the astronomical $3000 price tag, and im wondering how anyone could justify that!
I Like my made in Wisconsin USA Bontrager Kovee XXX wheels. I was running rocky terrain with under inflated rear tire and damaged the rim. Trek agreed to rebuild my wheel with the new spokes, nipples and rim for $400. I've had the KOVEE XXX 29 or wheels for just under three years. I am 6 foot one and weighs 175 pounds.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts

Great choice imo.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
The author of that article never once mentioned how much he weighs, the tires he was using, or how much air were in the tires.

Granted..It's fairly clear Enve had issues with the warranty rims. But when the author comments that he had previously had catastrophic failures of 2 other carbon rims, one can't help but wonder what wheels those were, how many / how often he destroys aluminum rims, and again, how much air he puts in his tires.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
The author of that article never once mentioned how much he weighs, the tires he was using, or how much air were in the tires.
I suppose that's a bit of the point though. Does it actually matter?

SC set the bar pretty high with the reserves. How about no air at all? Or no tire? I was pretty shocked how well the sc's held up to no tire at all down concrete stairs. They're a decently high $1600, which is still way cheaper than enve.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I suppose that's a bit of the point though. Does it actually matter?

SC set the bar pretty high with the reserves. How about no air at all? Or no tire? I was pretty shocked how well the sc's held up to no tire at all down concrete stairs. They're a decently high $1600, which is still way cheaper than enve.
Of course it matters. Bicycle tires need air. The wheel needs an inflated tire to survive trails, especially rocky DH trails, inserts aside.

Despite the stunt - and it was a stunt - I am sure that I can put 10 psi in my 2.4" tire and ride down a set if stairs, and likely do serious damage to my wheels. The article mentioned hearing bad things from the wheels while riding a rock garden. (I'm paraphrasing, not quoting.)

If I hear that noise and feel the rim hit the rocks ONE time, I'm stopping and checking my tire for proper inflation, and adding more air regardless.

That is just dumb. Abusive. Ignorant at the least.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Bought time they stopped robbing people for ludicrous amounts of $$ with crap warranty, they're charging for about 6 sets of rims at that cost :skep:

I'd have to say :eek:ut: I just got a Pro4/Asym i35 wheelset, 16mm brass nipples (no clue why those nipples) and they're only marginally heavier, if not near the same IIRC, than the Enve's and at full retail only cost $600 (I didn't pay near that, hence the pre-built)

·
West Chester, PA
5,003 Posts
For better or worse (and I do think it will be unfortunate for people to lose their jobs), I don't think Enve will be making rims in the US much longer. You don't have to be a business school grad to see that this just doesn't make sense anymore.
Plus this warranty upgrade is another kick in the crotch for people that bought their rims in the past and didn't get a free replacement when a break happened.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
For better or worse (and I do think it will be unfortunate for people to lose their jobs), I don't think Enve will be making rims in the US much longer. You don't have to be a business school grad to see that this just doesn't make sense anymore.
Plus this warranty upgrade is another kick in the crotch for people that bought their rims in the past and didn't get a free replacement when a break happened.
Wouldn't the original 5yr replacement have covered it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.