Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

[url]http://www.bicycleretailer.com/product-tech/2014/04/08/enve-releases-new-mountain-bike-wheel-line#.U0QiGa1dUVg

[/URL]

"Enve releases new mountain bike wheel line
Published April 8, 2014
by BRAIN Staff
The new M90 wheel is available only in 26-inch.

OGDEN, Utah (BRAIN) — Enve's latest line of four carbon mountain bike rims and wheels has a new system for designating the intended use for the four models.

The new M-Series products are named for the ratio of descending to climbing that the rider has planned: The M50 rim is intended for a 50-50 descend-to-climb ratio, for example. The other models are the M60 (for 60 percent descending), M70 (70 percent descending) and M90 (90 percent descending).

The M50 is available only in 29-inch; the M60 is available in 29-inch and 650b; M70 is available in all three sizes and the M90 comes only in 26-inch.

Besides the new naming system, the rims have a new shape that the company said is lighter and stronger. The company also said the new rims are more impact resistant than its previous models.

The various rim models are sized for the tire sizes used in each application, and the lighter weight models have more vertical compliance. A new hookless bead design is said to create a more reliable seal and reduce the possibility of burping with tubeless tires.

The new wheels are available now for aftermarket sales and will be seen on some complete bikes from Cannondale, Santa Cruz, Turner and Intense.

The rim models all have the same price: $999 per rim. Three wheelsets are available: A set with DT240 hubs retails for $2,718; with Chris King hubs is $2,750; and with DT 180 hubs is $3,298."

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I currently have a pair of Enve AM 29er rims, but I have to admit, Enve's value proposition has been significantly impaired with all of the other, less expensive carbon rim options that have come to market lately. I was hoping Enve's next rim option would have moved in the other direction in respect to pricing.

Looks like I might be riding Specialized or Ibis carbon hoops next time around.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I currently have a pair of Enve AM 29er rims, but I have to admit, Enve's value proposition has been significantly impaired with all of the other, less expensive carbon rim options that have come to market lately. I was hoping Enve's next rim option would have moved in the other direction in respect to pricing.

Looks like I might be riding Specialized or Ibis carbon hoops next time around.
+1. I'm a big fan of Enve Components but if a Nox XC wheelset holds up as well an Enve XC wheelset not sure why anyone would drop and extra $1K just for the Enve name. LBs are even less expensive although their QC seems to be hit or miss but from what I've read they're pretty good about warranty claims on their rims. Enve is really going feel some pricing pressure over the coming months!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I will be in the market for some carbon wheels here pretty soon....I can tell you, with all the options out there...ENVE will be my LAST choice due to the high price.

Suckers and hipsters only pay that price

1 - 6 of 6 Posts