Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I figured I would post this up to see if anybody had any reactions/suggestions. I just got a set of ENVE All Mountain 29er wheels a couple weeks ago. It was a really difficult choice to spend the hard earned dollars on the ENVE wheels for sure, but I very much value stiffness and durability which ENVE’s AM stuff is supposed to embody. I got the wheels delivered to my door on 3/6/2014 and noticed the rear wheel had a local failure at the bead hook on 3/14/2014 while out on the Stagecoach 400. I’m thinking the failure might have happened in the 1st ride I took on them, given it was a 70 mile dirt sufferfest but it was all XC type of riding. I got the AM wheels not because I’m riding any big stuff but because I wanted stiff and durable. Generally speaking all I ride is SoCal XC stuff. To be honest though I didn’t noticed the failure until about mile ~140 total on 3/14. That was the starting day of the Stagecoach 400 ride and I noticed the failure when I went to drop the tire pressure going into the sandy Fish Creek Wash. It is about 70 miles from Idyllwild to the start of FCW. I was riding at about 35 PSI, never had a pitch flat or any other issues when bam, look what I found in the pictures as I leaned over to remove some pressure for the sand. I’m currently sending the wheel back to ENVE and they have been really easy to deal with, however, I get nervous thinking about spending that type of money on a set of wheels and having it end up being *not* covered under warrantee because they won’t say one way or another until the wheel gets there. On the plus side the damage didn’t change or get worse over the rest of the Stagecoach 400 course. I ended up riding 393.5 miles including off route ventures for food/etc. For the record I think the product is kick ass and they are great wheels, I just hope this is a fluke and I can go back to happy miles on my stiff wheels. What do you guys think? How would you react if this happened to you in the first few weeks of ownership? Have you ever had ENVE warrantee something you owned?

enve_fail.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
OP: It would depend on if Enve is going to give you a new rim. If they didn't I would be steaming mad for how much they cost. At least you could sell the good one and buy a set of Derbys lol. Let us know how they treat you.

-Nolan

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I've been riding my XC wheels for 2 years now without an issue. 2 trips across the Kokopelli Trail plus I don't know how many miles of riding in CO. Mostly XC.

Also, I'm a clyde and run about 30 PSI in them with Spec Ground Control 2.3 rubber.

Love them and they've been perfect to date. I'll be very surprised to hear anything other than Enve making this 100% right for you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a set of Enve 45s on my road bike and XC 29ers on my SS. Have no issues with the XC 29ers but the R45s developed a brake track issue and they were replaced and rebuilt free of charge / no problems. I purchased the 45s when they 1st came out (theye ere sill Edge at the time) and they had some issues with heat management on the brake tracks. It doesn't sound like there are any abuse issue in this situation so I don't think you will have any problems at all. Enve componentry is expensive but they are a very good company that stands behind the products they sell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts