Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently saving up the cash for an Enve AM 29 carbon rim build for my Enduro Expert 29 and I'd like to get others opinions on whether these rims are really the top dog for an AM 29 wheel set build or maybe there are other options?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Although Enve is a hot ticket and I was going with them, I decided to save money and go with Control Carbon and I am glad I did.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
I would point you toward the Nox Composites carbon rims. I think you get a lot more bang for your buck. With Enve rims, you are paying a premium for those stickers that say 'ENVE'

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although Enve is a hot ticket and I was going with them, I decided to save money and go with Control Carbon and I am glad I did.
Are those the Specy Roval Control? I was looking at the Traverse SL wheelset as an option alright but seems like a lot of people are having issues with the spokes breaking, but they are a fair bit easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would point you toward the Nox Composites carbon rims. I think you get a lot more bang for your buck. With Enve rims, you are paying a premium for those stickers that say 'ENVE'
Yea that's always the way with the top brands. I've never heard of Nox Composites, are you saying they are better than the Enve's or just as good for less cash?

·
change is good
3,220 Posts
I have ENVEs. I think they are the best but I can't argue that point from the perspective of an engineer. If you have the money I recommend them. For my back up 27.5 I plan to go with Light Bicycle's rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you want narrow carbon rims get the Enve's. If you want a wide wheel look at Derby Rims and Ibis for a complete wheel set and save more than a grand.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I went with the 29er ENVE AM for piece of mind. The 5 year warranty and lifetime crash replacement was well worth the cost of admission for me. Some say you're paying more because of the sticker, maybe. But what happens when you crack or destroy those cheaper carbon hoops? Pretty sure it'll cost more in the long term, that was my thinking when deciding which way to go.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want narrow carbon rims get the Enve's. If you want a wide wheel look at Derby Rims and Ibis for a complete wheel set and save more than a grand.
Just had a look at the Iblis website and saw this: Wheels

41mm wide, that's very interesting if if the benefits are true.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with the 29er ENVE AM for piece of mind. The 5 year warranty and lifetime crash replacement was well worth the cost of admission for me. Some say you're paying more because of the sticker, maybe. But what happens when you crack or destroy those cheaper carbon hoops? Pretty sure it'll cost more in the long term, that was my thinking when deciding which way to go.
Yea, it's their reputation for stiffness and durability + 5yr warranty and 50% crash replacement that drew me to them.

·
Unpredictable
2,208 Posts
I don't have a 29er, but I have also been struggling with issues of cost, width and strength in carbon wheels. Also, the option of rims, hubs and spokes bought separately or a pre-built wheelset. I pulled the trigger last week and they are on the way.

The issue is not carbon (composite), but how it is used to make the rim. Not just the way the fibre is laid-up either, but the cross sectional design of the rim. In general, a deeper rim may have less impact absorption and a wider rim may have more torsional stiffness (or develop more torsional flex because of more direct tire to rim transmission of force). Then there is the issue of rim tape versus complete tubeless construction. And then the issue of a bead lock or straight inner rim edge (like Light Bicycles). Lots to think about.

It is such a hard thing to come up with an affordable and guaranteed combination. If I were buying a 29er wheel, above all I would want to avoid torsional flex, because it is the force most magnified through the larger wheel, spoke, axle, fork, rear triangle combinations. I guess low rotational weight would be an issue, but not so much for an AM wheel. Therefore I would be tempted to look at Ibis wheels (as yet unproven) or Derby rims, plus a stiff fork and axle combination. I don't like the idea of an unlocked bead on an AM bike, so while Light Bicycles seem to be popular here in Australia, it's not for me.

There are lots of really good options for wheelsets - Easton, Roval, Enve, Ibis, Enve, but to me there are less options for putting together a rim and spokes and hub that are "just right" for you. I wanted Chris King Hubs if not a straight pull hub and wheelset combination. What I bought was a Superstar Components AM wheelset with Tesla Evo hubs and Sapim CXray spokes. It's not the lightest and rim tape is essential, but Superstar Components have a really solid history and they provide a university test comparison with other rims. The 29er wheelsets should be available soon.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yea that's always the way with the top brands. I've never heard of Nox Composites, are you saying they are better than the Enve's or just as good for less cash?
So far I'm really happy with the nox rims... but I can't compare to Enve as I've never ridden them. There is an entire multipage thread on nox available here.

·
Registered
822 Posts
But what happens when you crack or destroy those cheaper carbon hoops? Pretty sure it'll cost more in the long term, that was my thinking when deciding which way to go.
At $900/rim for an Enve versus less than $200 for a wide light-bicycle rim you can buy 4 complete sets and one extra (9 rims) of the Light Bicycle rims. I weigh about 200LBs geared up and ride hard on very rocky terrain and the Light Bicycle rims have been extraordinary. I don't worry about them at all. They are stronger and stiffer than any other wheel I have ever had....and I built them myself. Other than XX1, they were the best upgrade I have done to my bike.
Light Bicycle rims will NOT cost more in the long term.

·
change is good
3,220 Posts
At $900/rim for an Enve versus less than $200 for a wide light-bicycle rim you can buy 4 complete sets and one extra (9 rims) of the Light Bicycle rims. I weigh about 200LBs geared up and ride hard on very rocky terrain and the Light Bicycle rims have been extraordinary. I don't worry about them at all. They are stronger and stiffer than any other wheel I have ever had....and I built them myself. Other than XX1, they were the best upgrade I have done to my bike.
Light Bicycle rims will NOT cost more in the long term.
Crash replacement for ENVE rims is $400. My perception is that the Chinese rims have improved tremendously in the last year and a half. I'm still happy with my decision to purchase ENVEs a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Crash replacement Light Bicycle rims are less than 1/2 that. ;) I did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on the LB rims and could not be happier. I very well may buy a third set, I have two, one on each bike and am thinking of getting a spare set for road trips or whatever when I only bring one bike.
I am sure the Enve rims are awesome but truth be told, I seriously doubt that if you keep the proper amount of air in either rim there will be any issue providing they are built up properly. I suspect a lot of the issues with carbon rims are user error, improper build techniques, not using enough air, or doing something stupid.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
I had Enve AM's on my Tallboy LTC and never had any issues.

I bought a ONE MONTH OLD Tallboy 2 that had Enve XC's on them and in less than (8) months, I damaged the rim walls on both. (1) beyond repair and (1) where it's peeling apart but still working tubeless so I'm still riding it. Since I'm not the original owner, I'm S.O.L. - I'll personally never buy Enve's again

I now have NOX wheels on my Tallboy 2 and Pivot Mach 6. No issues so far and the wide 27.5 wheels area awesome. Doesn't hurt that they were $1500 and have LIFETIME warranty and same crash replacement warranty. They are also an American company.

I also have had Easton's and had (1) hub issue but overall were awesome and their customer service was excellent with my one issue. I had a bad hub and they sent me an entire new wheel.

I have friends with LB wheels and they have been flawless for $1200 a set with CK hubs.

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts
Another vote for NOX... if you're willing to wait, as I think they're backordered right now. Not USA made like ENVE, but from people who love the sport. Get them laced up with what you want, to whatever hub you want; another bonus for them over the Easton or Specialized.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've had a lot of time on LB carbon rims (old process/new process) and they are a great
rim for the price (I did crack one of them). Along with other Chinese carbon rims (regardless of company backing them) you get max a 2 year warranty.

I run Enve's now and if you want the stiffest wheels hands down, USA made,
and a 5 year warranty and can afford it go Enve. I don't regret switching to Enve. If there were no performance difference and all they had was USA made and the 5 year warranty then they aren't worth it. The guys in UT really do build a great wheel. You just gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't mind paying for the best if the best is so far ahead of the competition that it justifies the 2x-3x-4x price tag. I'm looking for stiffness and durability over weight saving, I'll have a look at the Nox also and the new Ibis 941 has definitely caught my eye as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've had a lot of time on LB carbon rims (old process/new process) and they are a great
rim for the price (I did crack one of them). Along with other Chinese carbon rims (regardless of company backing them) you get max a 2 year warranty.

I run Enve's now and if you want the stiffest wheels hands down, USA made,
and a 5 year warranty and can afford it go Enve. I don't regret switching to Enve. If there were no performance difference and all they had was USA made and the 5 year warranty then they aren't worth it. The guys in UT really do build a great wheel. You just gotta pay to play.
What sort of riding do you do? How are they noticeably stiffer than the LB rims...in all types of riding or only in certain circumstances? I went from several years on Stans Notube rims Arch/Arch EX to the LB rims, and there is a very noticeable difference between those two. I can't imagine paying another $600 to $700 just for rims (no hubs, no spokes, no wheel build). I have about $1,000 in each of my wheelsets (I9 rear wheels/and CK front and Hope front wheels). The equivalent Enve rimmed wheels would be another $1,400 in my estimation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts