Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo mtbr.com forum goers. :)

I Endostyle (Vancouver, B.C. - Canada) :cool: and I is pleazed to meet you all. Please feel free to show off your MTB Savy here. ;)

Now down to business.

I can allocate $600-$1000 Canadian for a bike.

I did some MTB years ago, XCing (Singletracks mostly) with a used $500 hardtail and a pair of low-end Rock Shox (I still had cantilever brakes, remember those?). I didn't commute so much with that bike, but I'd often "cruise" around the neighbourhood trying to learn Trials and just generally jumping and dropping off stuff. The bike I need now will have to do the weekday commute.

What I want can be summarized in one sentence: I want an all-around Mountain Bike for under $1000. (The lower the better obviously)

Needs
- Daily Commute* (approx. 50 km/week)
- Casual Weekend XCing / "Crusing"

*The road conditions are 40% Paved / 60% Hard Packed Gravel Trails

So what do you guys think? I'm thinking Entry-Level XC Bike, is it the right type of bike for me?

Looking forward to reading all your replies, thanks guys. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Vancouver and vicinity have a lot to offer in terms of bike shop and trails. You can look at Rocky mountain and Kona Cinder Cone this years'. They are all close to your price range.

Cove bikes is also at Vancouver. http://www.covebike.com/ They make own brand bikes.

Buying used can be your another option.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions mutex.

I've been calling and touring Bike Stores and most Salespeople have been suggesting the '04 Rocky Mountain Fusion ($799) and '04 Kona Cinder Cone ($899) for my purposes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you should also take a look at the Cannondale F600 (SL). I recently got one and because of the headshok fork being able to completely lock out with the flick of a switch its a great commuting bike. It can take lots of abuse on the trails too and is extremely light.
good luck

·
Registered
150 Posts
RingNecPheasant said:
you should also take a look at the Cannondale F600 (SL). I recently got one and because of the headshok fork being able to completely lock out with the flick of a switch its a great commuting bike. It can take lots of abuse on the trails too and is extremely light.
good luck
The C'Dale is awesome. Do they have Jamis up there? They Dakar line is awesome. take a look!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Endostyle said:
Thanks for the suggestions mutex.

I've been calling and touring Bike Stores and most Salespeople have been suggesting the '04 Rocky Mountain Fusion ($799) and '04 Kona Cinder Cone ($899) for my purposes.
RM tends to be more pricy. They are claimed made in BC. Kona has a good value. $900 for Cinder Cone is a good price.

Try to look for a steel frame if you can. Marin and Jamis make steel frame bike in your price range. Kona had Lavadome last year, but not in 2004. Steel is more compliant and offers a more comfortable ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts