Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Economy Stimulator
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know who's making a real good entry level(or slightly higher) road bike this year? Friend of mine is in need on one, must have triple, and be compact geometry(or woman specific). Thanks alot.

trevor

·
Economy Stimulator
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fred3 said:
Have you tried RoadbikeReview? The link is at the bottom of the page.
Yes, i have been there, it is actually more logical to ask hardcore XC racers than asking crusty old roadies who will just tell you to but some high end ultra chi bling bling eurotrash carbon infested overpriced bike. Figured most xc racers had a road bike as well. I know i have one. thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
teebor76xc said:
Anyone know who's making a real good entry level(or slightly higher) road bike this year? Friend of mine is in need on one, must have triple, and be compact geometry(or woman specific). Thanks alot.

trevor
I'd recommend a good steel framed bike that has braze-ons for racks and panniers. If she gets really into it, she could buy a lighter bike later, and still keep the steel bike for touring/commuting/etc. Steel makes for a comfortable ride, and lasts a long time.

Any of the entry level bikes from the major brands will feature similar componentry. It's all decent stuff, Tiagra or Sora, and will work fine for someone starting out.

Something similar to this:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/554.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Specialized Allez Sport. Not WSD but is compact geometry and fits nicely -- decent price range too -- about $700 on sale.

Also, the Supergo Scattante is nice and has more upgrades, I think.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I picked up one of those Bianchi Brava's for $500 and have rode it since October. The only thing I changed was the oem seat that was a torture device, other than that it's been fine. It is what it is, a workhorse, I put it on my trainer for about 2000miles and I ride it 3-4 times a week in the rain, snow, sun, over potholes and I haven't had any problems yet... Well I broke a spoke doing a bunny hop over a manhole, but I figure that was my fault. It's been ideal for what I use it for, I'd rather spend 500 to get some miles in when the trails are not rideable, and save 2k to use toward a new trail bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.