Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i live in New Hampshire where there is lots of rooty and rocky trails. With long climbs. I'm looking for a new fork for my mountain bike. My bike is a Giant revel 3, and currently the fork is made by Giant. The fork only has adjustable preload, and mounts for v-brakes. I would like to have lockout on the fork. I would also like to have Mechanical Disc brake mounts, and v-brake mounts
Since I'm only 14, i don't have very much money to invest into the fork, my price range is from $150-$250. I could maybe pay $275
What do people think of the Spinner Aeris, or the RockShox Recon Silver TK.

Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
get a used Reba. you'll be glad you did.
I found lockout to be not really needed unless you have a remote pop lock that can be mounted on the handlebars and quickly activated during your ride.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
hmm good looking out +1 Shakester - 2 quick ?'s - is it worth it ? or wait to upgrade my bike? 2- I don't need to change my breaks do I? -

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Geoff - a used fork is going to be probably your best bet. Any chance you're in southern NH? I know a lot of people with spare parts kicking around.

jcd - those Dirt Jumpers are pretty much designed for exactly that. They're quite heavy and ride stiff, as they are tuned more to take isolated big hits than to smooth out general trail chatter. Also, you've posted one fork for a 26" bike and one for a 29" bike. Not something you can interchange.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Yes slapheadmofo - that was my bad 26 it is - but I see what you are saying, I'm going to stay put save my money (enjoy my current bumpy ride) and get another better stacked bike. I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Realistically, you'll be spending that money on just getting lockout and disc mounts. Performance wise, you're not going to see much of a difference in getting another low-end coil sprung fork and most likely the spring will need to be changed to better suit your body weight. IMO, "upgrading" to another low-end coil fork is pointless.

You'd be much better getting something like a Reba or even a Rock Shox Tora solo air. A friend of mine got one of the Tora solo air forks for around $200 online recently with V and disc mounts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jcd you could also take advantage of the suntour loyalty program. I along with others have done this. Probably the best, cheapest way to go to upgrade to an air sprung fork.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts