Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much do you weigh?

My pc7x chain was stretched 1/2 link over the length of the chain. The cog is pretty wasted. Sorry I don't have a picture. It had about 2000 miles over 15 months on it.

After I replaced the chain it was obviously skipping. I'd say the steel cog in the rear was about as worn as the aluminum ring in the front.

In retrospect, I probably should've been measuring the stretch, and should've replaced the chain sooner to save the cog and ring. Maybe buying two chains and rotating every month would be a good thing.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Bummer. Did you run the chain for 2K miles? If so, that's definitely a lot. Don't bother rotating chains every month, just replace a couple (or 3) times a year and you should be fine.

In the meantime, maybe you can deburr the cog with a file (if that's the wear problem).

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
cog or FW?

Fast Eddy said:
$50 + shipping for a new cog. Two week wait if you want 16, 17 or 18t.
whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis? Eno? Cog? Huh?

I was waiting for a 16t Eno freewheel from Bikeman.com, but went ahead and had them ship the 17t that they had in stock. No idea when the 16 is coming in. I paid more than $50, too.

HW

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Hollywood said:
whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis? Eno? Cog? Huh?

I was waiting for a 16t Eno freewheel from Bikeman.com, but went ahead and had them ship the 17t that they had in stock. No idea when the 16 is coming in. I paid more than $50, too.

HW
Not only can you replace the bearings on the ENO freewheel, but you can replace the teeth (a.k.a cog). I think my LBS quoted $40 when I got mine.

·
Registered
323 Posts
rEyNOlds

ernesto_from_Wisconsin said:
I wish my teeth were made out of ENO teeth. Then I could use a rope and make silly jokes about us ss guys because I like Kool-Aid and beer.
Then you brush your teeth with Go-Jo and a wire brush!!!! I often wish I had an ISIS penis...square tapered penis's don't tranfer power quite as well, but the bearings are bigger.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
tR

The_Real_Cyclesmith said:
Then you brush your teeth with Go-Jo and a wire brush!!!! I often wish I had an ISIS penis...square tapered penis's don't tranfer power quite as well, but the bearings are bigger.
Would you go for 175 or 180mm??
They say it is not the size but what you do with it.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I sometimes

The_Real_Cyclesmith said:
I sometimes wish I had an Easton Monkey Lite seatpost for a weiner. it fits in really tight places, but Phil Wood loobe is best for getting the post out of the seat tube.

I woke up this morning with a bad hangover
And my penis was missing again.
This happens all the time.
It's detachable.

[background singing begins: "detachable penis" over and over]

This comes in handy a lot of the time.
I can leave it home, when I think it's gonna get me in trouble,
or I can rent it out, when I don't need it.
But now and then I go to a party, get drunk,
and the next morning I can't for the life of me
remember what I did with it.
First I looked around my apartment, and I couldn't find it.
So I called up the place where the party was,
they hadn't seen it either.
I asked them to check the medicine cabinet
'cause for some reason I leave it there sometimes
But not this time.
So I told them if it pops up to let me know.
I called a few people who were at the party,
but they were no help either.
I was starting to get desperate.
I really don't like being without my penis for too long.
It makes me feel like less of a man,
and I really hate having to sit down every time I take a leak.
After a few hours of searching the house,
and calling everyone I could think of,
I was starting to get very depressed,
so I went to the Kiev, and ate breakfast.
Then, as I walked down Second Avenue towards St. Mark's Place,
where all those people sell used books and other junk on the street,
I saw my penis lying on a blanket
next to a broken toaster oven.
Some guy was selling it.
I had to buy it off him.
He wanted twenty-two bucks, but I talked him down to seventeen.
I took it home, washed it off,
and put it back on. I was happy again. Complete.
People sometimes tell me I should get it permanently attached,
but I don't know.
Even though sometimes it's a pain in the ass,
I like having a detachable penis.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Never do more than about 400 miles on a chain. That way I seem to massivly reduce the wear on chainrings and sprockets.

My WI Steel freewheel has no marks on it. My Ti looks brand new and my WI chainset with green chainring now has green and silver teeth alternatively after 24 hrs of mud.

P::..

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Just out of curiosity...

Fast Eddy said:
My pc7x chain was stretched 1/2 link over the length of the chain. The cog is pretty wasted. Sorry I don't have a picture. It had about 2000 miles over 15 months on it.

After I replaced the chain it was obviously skipping. I'd say the steel cog in the rear was about as worn as the aluminum ring in the front.

In retrospect, I probably should've been measuring the stretch, and should've replaced the chain sooner to save the cog and ring. Maybe buying two chains and rotating every month would be a good thing.
How much stretch is that over a foot; it s/b 12" pin to pin? Any more is stretch..

1G1G, Brad

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
the advantage of an EBB..

Fast Eddy said:
1/2" per 3', or 12mm/meter. About 3/16" per foot. or 1/32" per pin.
Running a 34:18 and taking up the slack of a new chain, leaves me about 3/8" of adjustment. When that's gone it's time for a new chain; it's just a tad under 1/8" of stretch over 12".

1G1G, Brad

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Heh

Fast Eddy said:

... at the 24hr race, you were crowing about how little maintainence you have to do on your SS. I guess you shoulda done a bit more, eh?

dang, $50 for a simple gear with a wait? Would it be worth it to check into a Boone Ti cog for that kinda dough?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts