Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help a fellow long time single speed brother in his new project.

#1 For a rear SS wheel do you recommend 32/36 hole? Is more stronger/better for this application. Weight is a factor, but not the deciding factor.

#2 I have a eno rear hub on order, I am trying to find some old new stock 517's (with some luck). Or I will use 717's. Triplecross lacing...does anyone know offhand the spoke lengths needed for this application?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
ENOing...

cjpavlov said:

#1 For a rear SS wheel do you recommend 32/36 hole? Is more stronger/better for this application. Weight is a factor, but not the deciding factor.

#2 I have a eno rear hub on order, I am trying to find some old new stock 517's (with some luck). Or I will use 717's. Triplecross lacing...does anyone know offhand the spoke lengths needed for this application?

Thanks in advance.
As for spoke length, this might help: ENO Eccentric center to flange: 32.5mm; flange diameter: 48.0mm

I use 32, and my wheels are strong! WAHOOO!!!!
Triplecross is key.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ENO answer

I have an ENO rear hub, 32 hole, three cross with 15/14 DT spokes with brass nips strung to a Mavic x618 hard anodized rim (discontinued but available and Cheap!-try Cambria bike outfitters) and have no problems - ever. I'm semi-clyds and 5'11". Good luck. Don't be too concerned about the weight. Just take a dump before you ride and it will be like riding Chris Kings.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
cjpavlov said:

Thanks in advance.
for the rear wheel...32 hole should be fine, and as ErNestO said, build 'em 3 cross. i'd also use brass nipples. if you buddy is well over 200 pounds, i'd do 36 hole.

as for the rims, 517s are nice, hope you can find them. check to see if you can find a pair of syncross lil' snappers. yea, funny name, but there are a few people here that love them and they were going for dirt cheap on ebay. is your buddy going to run discs??? the 317 is a disc only rim. they are on closeout at universal cycles!

i have a eno hub laced to a 28h velocity aerohead rim. these were built for a fixe project, but i have been pounding the crap outta them on a cross bike....they have been fine!!!

i'm about to swap the eccentric axle ends to the regular (non-eccentric) ends....anyone ever do this???? it sounds/looks easy.

cheers!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the input. I have located all the info needed for my project.

Always a great base of knowledge here at mtbr.com

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.