Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend with an eccentric that seems to lose the tension no matter how hard he bolts it on. Is there any tricks to keeping it in position over the duration of a ride? Is there a trick to the direction that it should be run so it is self tightening etc?

any help appreciated!

·
Combat Wombat
1,873 Posts
I had a similar problem.

rockcrusher said:
I have a friend with an eccentric that seems to lose the tension no matter how hard he bolts it on. Is there any tricks to keeping it in position over the duration of a ride? Is there a trick to the direction that it should be run so it is self tightening etc?

any help appreciated!
I used an ENO eccentric wheel on my 99 GT Zaskar and with about every 30 miles of riding, I had to re-adjust the hub. Which at the time, was about every other ride. On this bike, there is very little for the offset-axle to clamp onto and this is not a problem on all frames. I have seen someone else complain about their ENO slipping and regardless of what others think, it does happen. I actually bought a very long allen wrench to make sure I was getting it tight enough and I am honestly surprised that I did not brake the bolts with the amount of torque I put on them. I have since been riding a dedicated SS frame, but I still have the wheel and plan to use it on my steel 1994 Stumjumper frame. The back side of the dropouts on this bike are not hollowed out and so there is plenty of surface area for the axle to clamp onto. I am betting that I will not have problems with it slipping. Your friend could be having the same issues I had with my GT. I initially tried to make some sort of tuggnut, but could never figure out a viable solution. I also thought about filling in the hollowed out backside portion of the dropouts with JB Weld, to give the axle more surface area to bite onto, but since I already owned a set of wheels built on Paul hubs, I decided to just buy a dedicated SS frame and move everything over. I know that this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I have seen people post in the past, asking about this problem and there was always plenty of flaming. As if all frames are exactly the same, so since a certain person's Eno never slipped, there was just no possible way that someone elses could.

Brian

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
BrianU said:
On this bike, there is very little for the offset-axle to clamp onto and this is not a problem on all frames.
Yep, some frames are like this. I had an Ibis Mojo that had this problem. It used Breezer style dropouts that were sculpted so a normal axle had a nice mating surface but the Eno was left with little to bite. Here's a picture of the type of dropout I'm talking about. If the Eno's surfaces were gnarled it might help in these cases. The Eccentric is a great hub and great idea that will work for most people and frames, but a few wil have issues.

Watch stripping the bolts trying to tighten things up too much. I carried a few spares with me after I stripped one trailside. I also replaced them with a longer bolt that had more threads, that seemed to help. Eventually sold the wheel to someone else who has been using it for a few years without issues.

·
Combat Wombat
1,873 Posts
Excellent example.

riderx said:
Yep, some frames are like this. I had an Ibis Mojo that had this problem. It used Breezer style dropouts that were sculpted so a normal axle had a nice mating surface but the Eno was left with little to bite. Here's a picture of the type of dropout I'm talking about. If the Eno's surfaces were gnarled it might help in these cases. The Eccentric is a great hub and great idea that will work for most people and frames, but a few wil have issues.

Watch stripping the bolts trying to tighten things up too much. I carried a few spares with me after I stripped one trailside. I also replaced them with a longer bolt that had more threads, that seemed to help. Eventually sold the wheel to someone else who has been using it for a few years without issues.
That picture really is worth a thousand words. I can remember trying to explain why my hub kept slipping and everyone's answer was either I was setting it up wrong or was not getting it tight enough.

Brian

·
Registered
130 Posts
Weird. I've had been running an ENO hub on Klein's Micro dropouts for over two years with absolutely NO problems. And I give it some pretty good hits during my rides, too. Part of the eccentric contact surface hangs off the edge of the dropout on both sides. Perhaps setting it up as you guys have mentioned would solve his problem - but it's a darn good hub if you don't want a dedicated SS frame.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
I had some problems with this when I first got my ENO (running on a Schwinn Homegrown). I use it with a cheap BMX freewheel and a cheap square-taper crank. After a lot of troubleshooting, I found that the Sugino crank was not installed in its ideal position on the square taper BB, and as it tightened and loosened, it caused the fat BMX chain to pull the hub forward and loosen everything, no matter what. I also broke a chain or two.

Square taper BB's and cranks are not the same on all four flats, and there is always one orientation that works better than the others. If you're running square, try rotating it. After reinstalling the crank correctly, my problems were greatly reduced. I also agree with "fatad" about the orientation of the hub, assuming you can get your brakes to work with it.

And like some people said, it may just be the frame interface, which may or may not have enough surface area to accommodate the ENO.

·
Combat Wombat
1,873 Posts
But are the Klein's dropouts the same as the Breezers?

Klein Freak said:
Weird. I've had been running an ENO hub on Klein's Micro dropouts for over two years with absolutely NO problems. And I give it some pretty good hits during my rides, too. Part of the eccentric contact surface hangs off the edge of the dropout on both sides. Perhaps setting it up as you guys have mentioned would solve his problem - but it's a darn good hub if you don't want a dedicated SS frame.
Considering the size of the off-set axle on the ENO and unless you can get it to align perfectly with either the seatstay or chainstay, I imagine most users are going to have some hangover. As long as the off-set part has some good surface area to bite into, I figure that the ENO would work great. It is a great hub, but a potential buyer does need to be aware that there are frames that it will not work with. The picture that riderx attached to his post demonstrates this point.

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.