Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain the advantages to a 29er full suspension bike? I get the whole 29er hardtail thing, but what are the other advantages to a larger wheel other than response to bumps/rolling over things? Why do you need a tire/wheel to do the suspension's job when you already have suspension? Theoretically, a 26" wheel should accelerate/brake quicker and corner faster. Not being critical here, just looking for enlightenment.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
natepac said:
Can someone explain the advantages to a 29er full suspension bike? I get the whole 29er hardtail thing, but what are the other advantages to a larger wheel other than response to bumps/rolling over things? Why do you need a tire/wheel to do the suspension's job when you already have suspension? Theoretically, a 26" wheel should accelerate/brake quicker and corner faster. Not being critical here, just looking for enlightenment.
If the suspension is all that is needed why not use 16" wheels?

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
natepac said:
One explanation would be that he suspension doesn't have to work as "hard". With the shallower angle of attack, the initial transfer of energy from forward motion into the suspension is more gradual and doesn't load the dampers as quickly as a 26" wheeled bike. Thus giving a more controlled ride. This assumes you're comparing apples-to-apples. I went from my everyday bike being a 5" 26" bike to a 4" travel 29er and I prefer the 29er. It rolls better, more traction on the climbs and in the corners, less feeling of going over the bars when the trail gets interesting. With a lighter wheelset, it has also replaced the 4" travel 26" bike that I used for endurance and XC racing because it is much better in choppy terrain and more comfortable for long rides/races. The tradeoff is that it doesn't accelerate as well, but I'm more of a diesel that keeps chugging along anyway.

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is no beginning to practice nor end to enlightenment; There is no beginning to enlightenment nor end to practice.

The only enlightenment you will find at the top of the mountain is the enlightenment that you bring with you.

There is nothing you can see that is not a flower; there is nothing you can think that is not the moon

Should you desire great tranquility, prepare to sweat white beads.

How do you step from the top of a 100-foot pole?

It is better to practice a little than talk a lot.

http://oneproverb.net/bwfolder/zenproverbs.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.