Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever ridden any of the following? If so, what are they like? Do you recommend them?

1. Lake City to Ouray via Engineer Pass.
2. Molas Pass to Durango on the Colorado Trail.
3. The Colorado Trail from Hwy 114 (near North Pass) to Baldy Lake.

Thanks very much! Coming from sea level, I'll wear an oxygen mask.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Going from Lake City to Ouray would be incredibly scenic, but the actual "riding" would not be the best. Almost all jeep road, and not a very fun jeep road to ride. But nonetheless it would be mind-numbingly scenic.

As for Molas Pass to Durango, I have hiked it years ago and plan to ride it this August. It is also INCREDIBLY scenic. It is 73 miles of singletrack, all at very high altitude. I have a feeling it will be the ride of my life. The first 15-20 miles wouldn't be too terribly hard, but the next 30 miles would be quite brutal. Be in good shape, and lightning is an issue, as there are very long stretches with no opportunity for cover.

I've heard the last 18 miles from Kennebec pass to Durango is incredible riding. I'm doing it in 2 days, by driving to bolam pass and setting up a camp by celebration lake. I'll then ride from molas to bolam (about 20 miles) the 1st day, then ride 53 miles the 2nd day. Then probably try and hitch a ride from durango back to molas pass.

Words really can't describe the scenery from molas pass to cascade creek. It is a high altitude paradise, to say the least. Some of the best scenery in Colorado, next to certain areas of the Weminuche Wilderness. Enjoy the ride.

·
MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer
632 Posts
Molas to Durango.

Is a brute of a ride. Drop, Climb, repeat as necessary. Bring double what you think you will need and you will fininsh the ride. Get a designated driver to take you back up to pick up your car so you can sleep, and get rested up for the drive down the hill to a hot tub, and beer.

TJ

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
canyoncreek said:
As for Molas Pass to Durango, I have hiked it years ago and plan to ride it this August. It is also INCREDIBLY scenic. It is 73 miles of singletrack, all at very high altitude. I have a feeling it will be the ride of my life. The first 15-20 miles wouldn't be too terribly hard, but the next 30 miles would be quite brutal. Be in good shape, and lightning is an issue, as there are very long stretches with no opportunity for cover.

I've heard the last 18 miles from Kennebec pass to Durango is incredible riding. I'm doing it in 2 days, by driving to bolam pass and setting up a camp by celebration lake. I'll then ride from molas to bolam (about 20 miles) the 1st day, then ride 53 miles the 2nd day. Then probably try and hitch a ride from durango back to molas pass.

Words really can't describe the scenery from molas pass to cascade creek. It is a high altitude paradise, to say the least. Some of the best scenery in Colorado, next to certain areas of the Weminuche Wilderness. Enjoy the ride.
Those 18 miles from Molas to CoalBank are not easy. Plenty of climbing, most above 11K.
You are riding the CO into town this weekend. Huh, sounds like a lot of snowshoeing to me. You are right about on thing it is a beautiful ride.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cbrossman said:
Those 18 miles from Molas to CoalBank are not easy. Plenty of climbing, most above 11K.
You are riding the CO into town this weekend. Huh, sounds like a lot of snowshoeing to me. You are right about on thing it is a beautiful ride.
Thanks to all of you for your replies. They're extremely informative and helpful! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
cbrossman said:
Never did I say I was doing that this weekend. 10+ feet of snow in places could pose a slight problem. I stated in AUGUST. I did not say the first 18 miles would be easy, just not quite as hard as as the indian ridge part. Yes, there is plenty of climbing, but there are plenty of rides with tons more climbing at the same altitude, so in comparison the beginning would not be too bad. (but if someone tried it coming from sea level, and was not in great shape, then it would be brutal)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.