Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been with my girlfriend for about 4.5 years, and am thinking about proposing sometime in the next 6 months or so. (She knows this and so it is not going to be a surprise.) The problem is that I recently put down a deposit on a WaltWorks and will not have enough cash to purchase the frame, build it up, and get a ring. The proper thing of course is to forgo the bike and get the ring; however, after 6.5 years of medical school of doctoral studies, I am ready to treat myself to a present when I finish up in the next few months.

As I will not have enough money to get both the bike and an engagement ring, I have told my girlfriend that I will get her a token ring for the time being, and get her a nice one after about 3 years. By that time, I will be a couple years into my residency and should have a little bit more cash saved. My girlfriend has an idea that I may be getting a new bike in the next few months, but she has no idea about how much it will cost. (I still buy nice things for her, but have really limited my expenses to save cash.)

So here is the question for the married or engaged guys out there, how much did you spend on your bikes versus engagement rings? And if the bikes were more expensive, by how much more expensive were they, and most importantly, does your wife or fiancé know this? This should give me an idea of how much my redemption will cost down the line.

Thanks for the input.

Sanjeev

edit....Although the last paragraph poses the question, I must apologize for the poorly worded title of this post. I can't afford to purchase a proper ring now even without getting the bike, so in terms of bikes, how Moots ti would make a good engagement ring after a couple years?

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Too funny. You're asking on mtbr.com...have you asked the same question at brides.com?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
fred-da-trog said:
Too funny. You're asking on mtbr.com...have you asked the same question at brides.com?
what's wrong with asking about marital advice at the same place where people request that we not leave pubes in the biking shorts after trying them on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FoShizzle said:
you can always get married....the 29er fad will be over soon; i would get the bike.
That's what I was thinking as well. Gotta jump on the bandwagon while it is still moving. Truth be told, even if I did not get the bike now, I would not be able to afford a nice ring for her at this time, and would probably have to wait a couple years before getting a proper one for her.

·
Mmmmmm Beer!
617 Posts
I already had a bike before I got engaged. I would be up frot with her and explain it just like you have here. You worked your butt off to get through school and being married is about much more than a ring.

I have spent WAY more on bikes since I have been married than on rings since being married too. She is way cool about bikes though. Last year I got the 29er bug and bought two new bikes. I did sell some old bike related stuff but it didn't come close to paying for them. I got a new road bike as well.

BTW. Rent Blood Diamonds before you look at rings. She might not want one anymore.

Good luck!

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
sgvarghese said:
That's what I was thinking as well. Gotta jump on the bandwagon while it is still moving. Truth be told, even if I did not get the bike now, I would not be able to afford a nice ring for her at this time, and would probably have to wait a couple years before getting a proper one for her.
Engagement rings are a waste of money, imo.

A simple gold wedding ring when you two get married is all that is needed.

R.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oliver said:
My last bike cost me 2,500. My wife's engagement ring cost me a GSX R 750 and 8,000 in cash. I do not know if that helps, but there you have it. :eek:ut:
I am not sure if I will be able to drop that much for the ring in a couple years, but it would be definitely be a couple times more than I would spend on a bike.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
CPATCRASH said:
I already had a bike before I got engaged. I would be up frot with her and explain it just like you have here. You worked your butt off to get through school and being married is about much more than a ring.

I tried that, it did not work. Something about saying I do changes everthing.

BTW. Rent Blood Diamonds before you look at rings. She might not want one anymore.

Now that is a great idea. :thumbsup:

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
i got my wife an engagement ring.

she got me a bike.

it's called dowry, and north america is one of the few places that DOESN'T observe this practise. tell her she owes you the bike....it worked for me....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CPATCRASH said:

I have spent WAY more on bikes since I have been married than on rings since being married too. She is way cool about bikes though. Last year I got the 29er bug and bought two new bikes. I did sell some old bike related stuff but it didn't come close to paying for them. I got a new road bike as well.

Good luck!
She is pretty cool about most things, so she would be understanding about it. I was already planning on staying away from diamonds due to their political and cultural impact, and was looking towards sapphires instead.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Oliver said:
CPATCRASH said:

Now that is a great idea. :thumbsup:
There you go. That's exactly what I was thinking. My wife wants to go trade her rings in and not be part of something that encourages violence and greed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ferday said:
i got my wife an engagement ring.

she got me a bike.

it's called dowry, and north america is one of the few places that DOESN'T observe this practise. tell her she owes you the bike....it worked for me....
lol...don't think she would follow that reasoning as sound as it may be.

·
Registered
150 Posts
mward said:
The very fact you think of your possible engagement in these terms means you should probably grow up a little more before getting married. Get the bike, spare your possible future wife from living with someone who puts a material item before her.
mward is right.
If she was really the "One" you wouldn't have to ask us to help you choose.
There would be no question.
If you want to be successfully married your priorities should be:
Wife is #1, the bikes #2 (or #3 if you have kids).

Buy the bike...get married when you are sure she's your #1 priority.
You will be happier and so will she.

Good Luck,

b3ksmith
(married 15 years)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I could think of better ways to spend the money aside from bikes and rings, but sometimes when a girl has grown up with the idea of a nice engagement ring, you want to do the best that you can for her.

·
Mmmmmm Beer!
617 Posts
sgvarghese said:
She is pretty cool about most things, so she would be understanding about it. I was already planning on staying away from diamonds due to their political and cultural impact, and was looking towards sapphires instead.
Good call. Bottom line is she wants you happy and healthy. The bike will do both. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
teamdicky said:
Oliver said:
There you go. That's exactly what I was thinking. My wife wants to go trade her rings in and not be part of something that encourages violence and greed.
My wife has thought about selling hers for the same reasons. I say get the bike, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than premission. :D

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.