Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I don't use energy drinks. I will drink tea or coffee before a ride.

During any ride over 75 minutes and temp over 80 I will fill a bidon with ice cubes, Gatorade powder and water. This is in addition to my camel back filled with tap water.

This works very well for me.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,727 Posts
F no. Nothing in there is good for you or helps you. Think about the human body, what did people drink 1000 years ago? Water, that's about it. Milk was only for babies. Water allows your body to function, all of the processes to take place, foods to be broken down and energy stored/harnessed. Back when I drank that crap every once and a while I was 215lbs and a fairly good climber. Now I'm 160 and all muscles and an absolute beast on a bike. Your body was not designed to function on rockstar.

Powdered gatorade can be a a little helpful due to the electrolytes and lack of HFCS, but back when I used to drink a bit of rockstar I also did quite a bit of bottled gatorade and powerade and after switching to copious amounts of all-water it felt like a barrier was lifted.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Do any of you guys use them? I really enjoy the extra endurance they give me before biking, dirt biking, or playing other sports. My favorite is Red Bull, next to that Guru, and then Rockstar. Answers encouraged ;)
1 Red Bull before any serious bike activity. I will probably die from heart attract soon lol

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I refuse to drink any of that sh!t, try half strength Gatorade or Endurolytes and real food for real endurance.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nope, don't do anything for me. Tried one for skiing over the winter and didn't feel any positive or negative effects. A good meal and water is your best bet.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Just to be a stickler, they are not energy drinks, they are stimulant drinks. There's a difference. Energy comes from digestible food. Caffeine is a stimulant.

OK, I got that out of my system.

It's not that I don't like caffeine: I do. I just don't like marketing hacks misnaming things to sell them.

·
GONE
25,724 Posts
Energy drinks are incredibly bad for you and they ought to be outlawed. Drink water or Gatorade or a mix of both. I find that Gatorade goes twice as far as the equivalent amount of water.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Does coffee count? I've found that a cup of strong black coffee a bit before riding helps control my exercise-induced asthma. If I don't get caffeine, my breathing is really ragged and labored for the first half hour until I get warmed up.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
To the OP, if you really want to jump start your rides, look into 'Pre-Workout Supplements' like NO-Xplode, Arnge Krush, Fast Twitch or Jackd.
They are L-Arginine supplements. L-Arginine dialates your blood vessels, providing a huge boost of oxygen to your muscles. More oxygen means more reps (pedal strokes) before fatigue sets in and a quicker recovery time.
Pre-Workout Supplements also universally have powerful stimulants. Normally it's a big dose of caffeine.

Of course these supplements are not popular with the insect and bird seed eating nature boy crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Numerous studies have suggested that caffeine is an exercise enhancer.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
"Energy drinks" (sugary soft drinks with a high added caffeine content such as Red Bull, Monster Energy drink, Rockstar Energy Drink etc) aren't great for cycling. They're a triumph of marketing over substance really. The high sugar levels of many "energy drinks" puts them firmly into the junk food category.

http://www.fitsugar.com/You-Asked-Red-Bull-Ingredients-547628

Caffeine content of popular "energy drinks":

16 ounce Monster Energy Drink: 160 mg of caffeine (the 24 ounce version has 240 mg)

16 ounce NOS Energy Drink: 260 mg

8.4 ounce Red Bull: 80 mg

16 ounce Rockstar: 160 mg

16 ounce Rumba Energy Juice: 180 mg

2 ounce 5 Hour Energy shot: 138 mg

8.3 ounce AriZona Extreme Energy Shot: 100 mg

Now let’s see how those drinks compare to a few popular coffee brands:

10 ounce Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee: 132 mg

16 ounce Starbucks Grande Caffe Americano: 225 mg

16 ounce Starbucks Grande Coffee: 330 mg

16 ounce McDonald’s Coffee (large): 145 mg

16 ounce Einstein Bros Coffee: 206 mg

And to a few soda brands:

12 ounce Coca-Cola Classic: 34 mg

12 ounce Diet Coke: 45 mg

12 ounce Dr Pepper: 41 mg

12 ounce Mountain Dew: 54 mg

Source:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/10/22/can-energy-drinks-cause-heart-attacks/

The main issue for cycling is that sugar and caffeine both provide a short sharp boost but it's limited in duration. After that your energy levels will crash, which isn't what you want if you're aiming to keep riding hard for more than an hour or so. If you're having large amounts of caffeine regularly its effects also become increasingly less effective.

http://www.naturalnews.com/012352_caffeine_coffee.html

For cycling you'll tend to have more stable energy levels long term by using a sports drink containing complex carbohydrates and electrolytes (Hammer Nutrition Heed is an example of this type of drink), rather than an "energy drink".

http://www.hammernutrition.co.uk/15-simple-ways-to-improve-your-athletic-performance-33-c.asp

With your food and drink intake on the bike you're always eating for the future. What you do early on can have a large impact later on in the ride. There's a delay between ingesting food and it becoming available to your body as energy. Eating small amounts little and often tends to work best. If you're trying hard it's easier to get small quantities down and puts less strain on your digestive system.

Along with a sports drink I like to break cereal bars into quarters and then have a piece every 15 minutes or so. (1 bar per hour). By having them broken up to begin with it makes it quick and easy to get out of your jersey back pockets whilst riding.:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not to even TRY to argue that "energy drinks" are good for you, but isn't there a big difference between the sugary "regular" energy drinks and the "lo carb", "zero", or "diet" energy drinks?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Not to even TRY to argue that "energy drinks" are good for you, but isn't there a big difference between the sugary "regular" energy drinks and the "lo carb", "zero", or "diet" energy drinks?
I have nothing to back up my response but here goes.

I would assume that they are using artificial sugar substitutes instead of sugar. This makes no difference to your body when these drinks are going to be used for "pepping" up before a ride.

I love me some red bull but its not very good for you.

In my opinion you should never use any energy drink like red bull, monster, ect before a ride.

I've done it before but it's not the best idea.

If you need energy eat some jerky, fruit or granola bar. These will all work better.

And do they guy that thinks they should be illegal... Your dumb.

Nothing should be illegal. If ppl want something give it to them. Leave it to ppl to be responsible for there actions.

Considering our government cannot properly run anything ever in the history of the world I doubt any law would be effective.

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
Does a Banana or Yogurt count? I drink Vitalite on my rides, much lighter tasting and less sugary than gatorade. FYI, gatorade finally stopped using HFCS in the premixed stuff, but the powder still taste better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do a line or 2 of coke before I ride. Sometimes though I overdo it and have to mellow my self out with a few drinks.

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 42 Posts