Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive read a few magazines and books no training and alot say to drink an energy drink along with water.

Im assuming there not talking about gatorade, or monster, or redbull. and i wouldnt picture these as being benificial to training.

so what are the energy drinks your all using if your using any and where can i get some. and do they really help?

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
My favorite is Amino Vital. Very well balanced, great taste too but it's extremely pricey for a powder.

Another product I like is the Emergen-C "Hydro-Mix" packets -- hard to find at retail,these are really convenient, and can quickly turn a bottle or a camelback of water into a camelback/bottle of basic electrolytes. Nothing fancy, but just the ticket sometimes.

(I use regular Emergen-C often in the morning before a ride, but not during, since they have 1000mg of C and that could have you looking for a bathroom.)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Gatorade is pretty good

Has sodium and potassium, and it is close to the recommendations for sugar osmolarity to promote absorbtion. Not saying it is the best, but it is a drink designed to be used during exercise. I use half gatorade and half water in my camelbak during rides. If is hot more water, if its cold more gatorade.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
dungeonsound615 said:
So ive read a few magazines and books no training and alot say to drink an energy drink along with water.

Im assuming there not talking about gatorade, or monster, or redbull. and i wouldnt picture these as being benificial to training.

so what are the energy drinks your all using if your using any and where can i get some. and do they really help?

Mike
i use gatorade diluted with water. gives the needed salts and a little kick from the sugar. seems beneficial to me.

and i'm a big fan of endurox for recovery. occasionally i'll use 1/2 strength endurox midway through an endurance race just to get some additional protein into my body.

rt

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Thirded - Hater-ade...err I mean Gatorade mixed with water.....Its cheap and readily available at a convienence store near you... :thumbsup:

I've used all the powders/mixes and such and I dont like drinking grit while im racing...definately not my thing

-Boz

·
MrT
119 Posts
I have had success with a scoop of Accelerade (2 is recommended for a bottle) - half Gatorate (same flavor) and half water per bottle. Tastes good enough.

Endurox afterwards seems to help too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
isnt this thread about ENERGY drinks? :)

Lo-Carb Monster.... cant touch it... the stuff makes you ride like a crazed billy goat...

I've even let it flatten out, and drank it during XC races last year. Carefull with it though, it can dry you up like the Mojave with all that cafeine and taurine. Lots of B vitamins to keep the energy steady.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've tried Powerbar Endurance, Hammer HEED, and Cytomax. I'm currently sticking with Cytomax.
I think you should experiment with the various drinks and pick the one that you like the best/works the best for you. I once heard/read that the best drink is the one that keeps you drinking.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I like Cytomax best. On a related note, many advocate just plain water in the Camelbak to keep mold from growing. But, there's the problem of hyponatremia (where sodium in body is being depleted and diluted). As a minimum, if it's hot, put some salt in the water or drink a sports drink (better) and just keep the Camelbak clean and dry (which will prevent mold from growing).

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
MikeDee said:
I like Cytomax best. On a related note, many advocate just plain water in the Camelbak to keep mold from growing. But, there's the problem of hyponatremia (where sodium in body is being depleted and diluted). As a minimum, if it's hot, put some salt in the water or drink a sports drink (better) and just keep the Camelbak clean and dry (which will prevent mold from growing).
or you can just make sure to wash your hydration bladder thoroughly after each ride and make sure it dries.

and when all else fails, diluted bleach works wonders for removing the funk from your hydration bladder. rinse thoroughly and you won't even know you ever put bleach in it.

rt

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If a drink has calories then it technically contains energy. The kcal is a unit of energy like the joule. So everything stated above falls under that umbrella, except water.

Anyways, another vote for Cytomax. You can get a 4.5 pound tub of the stuff for 25 bucks or so and it last forever; I bought two tubs of it for 50 bucks with no shipping from some weightlifting supplement website. Search on google.

As stated above, stick it in a water bottle only. And wash it often because it gets nasty quick.

Another friend is gave me his accelerade because he couldn't stand it. I like it, but notice that it even gets water bottles even dirtier since it has the protein in it.

I do not use any of the so-called "energy drinks" (red bull, etc.) unless they are free. Couldn't tell if it helps. Take that money and buy some "sport legs" pills instead. A friend gave me a dose of that before a race and I had the best race of my life.

I think the exploding market of the "energy drink" is a farce. Initially they were a bit geared towards athletics, but now you have 300-pound out of shape people using it to get through work on 4 hours of sleep, resulting in a multi-million dollar a year market for these corporations. It's making people more unhealthy.

My opinions. Ponch.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
*rt* said:
or you can just make sure to wash your hydration bladder thoroughly after each ride and make sure it dries.

and when all else fails, diluted bleach works wonders for removing the funk from your hydration bladder. rinse thoroughly and you won't even know you ever put bleach in it.

rt
Yeah, that's what I meant. The newer bladders with the big openings are easier to clean too because you can reach your hand and arm in there to scrub them out. Plus, they make it easier to put ice in, which is nice in hot weather.

·
Shut up and ride
1,159 Posts
I go with cytomax or Hammer Heed, gatorade has too much simple sugars

Heed:

Light, non-sweet, non-syrupy taste
Smooth, even energy—no sugar spikes or crashes
Help protect against cramps
Buffer lactic acid
Low acid formula
Full spectrum electrolyte profile
Promote oral health, not tooth decay
Great value

Sports drinks have been around a long time and for many athletes they're more convenient than energy gels. Unfortunately, most sports drinks are not much more than artificially colored sugar water that does little to aid your performance and even less for your health. That is why we developed HEED as a healthy alternative for you. HEED’s subtle tasting, all-complex carbohydrate formula goes down easily and supplies you with consistent, long-lasting energy and the electrolytes you need to keep pushing the pace. Because we add no citric acid to the formula, it will not burn your throat or stomach no matter how long you drink it. HEED's sweeteners - stevia and xylitol - are actually good for you, xylitol being especially beneficial for helping promote oral health. The full-spectrum, all chelated mineral, electrolyte profile helps satisfy your body’s mineral requirements. L-Carnosine and Chromium Polynicotinate help to buffer lactic acid and support stable blood glucose levels. If you prefer sport drinks over energy gels or like to use the two together, try HEED… and find out what a sports drink done right can do for your athletic performance.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
cytomax is easiest on my stomach and seems to work well, but a friend of mine is turning me onto First Endurance EFS...need to play with that one more to be convinced but I went 50+ miles on the stuff last sunday with no bonk and no cramping

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.