Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was talking to someone the other day and they were saying that they couldn't go a cycle without some sort of energy drink. Normally I take water with me and have never had any sort of energy drink before.

He said he makes his own from water, sugar free energy drink, Pepsi Max and fresh apple juice.

It doesn't sound too tasty but I was wondering if this is a normal thing people do and how beneficial is it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
He can't ride without an energy drink? Yes I would say energy drinks are pretty normal, but usually I don't drink them at all. I like to be somewhat relaxed and focused when I ride and energy drinks just seem to make me jittery.

Whatever works for you though. I would say eating healthy food and staying hydrated before a ride would work just fine.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I used to drink energy drinks all the time before riding. So much i thought i needed them to get motivation. I wanted to minimize my dependence on caffeine and energy products. It feels good not wanting to depend on them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use water, but I only ride for a couple of hours. Maybe if I rode all day I would consider it. Nah...

·
slap happy
417 Posts
couple of red bulls down my gullet and i'm pedaling like i stole the bike and am running from the cops :)

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Most sports nutritionists will tell you water is all you need for the first hour or so depending on exertion level, weather, what you've been eating, etc. After that, a sport drink can be very helpful in replacing electrolytes, and calories. You don't need sport drinks, but they can be very helpful on long and difficult rides to keep your energy levels up.

Also: Different people react differently to sport drinks. One brand might not agree with one persons stomach but be fine for another.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
sometimes ill down a 5 hr energy. but only if i feel like im in a "lul".

I normally eat a sweet and salty peanut bar and take my multi vitamin before every ride and i stay well hydrated. 1.5 gals of H2O a day.

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
Water 4:1 with Odwalla mango is my fav , a mouthful of chia seeds pre-ride is GREAT !
Buy 3 lbs of chia from amazon for $20 and you will be happy !!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Keep in mind that most 'energy drinks' are nothing more than Caffeine in a can. Now a good sports drink is something entirely different. I prefer Hammer Heed. Gives energy through long chain carbohydrates, not raw sugar, has plenty of good electrolytes, not just salt and potassium, and actually tastes decent.

Find one you prefer and go with it. Stay away from caffeine, sugar, and things with nothing more than salt/potassium for electrolytes. Gatorade, propel, etc are nothing more than flavored sugar water. There is tons of better stuff out there than can actually improve your ride.

·
Swedetarded
527 Posts
glouden said:
He said he makes his own from water, sugar free energy drink, Pepsi Max and fresh apple juice.
I took a friend to an XC race in Morrison Illinois with a something like 10 years ago. Dude rode with us once in a while, hung out at the bike shop I worked at. I knew this dude was a bit odd, but I didn't realize HOW odd.

Pre race fueling, he mixes Mountain Dew, Gatorade, and orange juice. Proceed to eat 2 bear claws and wash down with said drink.......

Me - "What in the f are you making there?"
Him - "My jungle juice"
Me - ":eek: "

He puked 15 minutes into his race and crapped his pants on the way back to the car. He decided that XC racing wasn't for him.

·
Underskilled
4,631 Posts
I have a few friends that say that water is all you need.
After a few hours they are shattered, I am still 100%.
At the end of the ride, I still feel good, they don't.

If you only ride short distances, water is fine.

If you are going for an epic energy drinks are very good.

I like the ones with protein in as any extra protein has to be good =-)

nutrisport 4:1 works for me,
try it you might like it.

The hotter the weather, the weaker the drink.

Also bring jelly babies, very useful pick me up.

·
"2 Wycked"
986 Posts
Moderation is key, I used to drink 3-4 red bulls a day until I started having severe pain where my kidneys are, turns out I had 2 small kidney stones which the doctor told me were from all the red bull I had been drinking.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
glouden said:
I was talking to someone the other day and they were saying that they couldn't go a cycle without some sort of energy drink. Normally I take water with me and have never had any sort of energy drink before.
For most rides I take water. I don't like drinking sugar all the time.

Most of my rides probably are on the order of two or three hours, give or take.

·
Ride'n Dirty
144 Posts
Problem I have with all of these "sport" drinks is the high sugar content, even 98% of the nutrition foods are very high in sugar & thats not even counting the carb contents. With me being diabetic it is damned near impossible to find anything that would work for me. Gatorade is even bad for me. For now I just use water. I also do 98% of my warm weather riding in the am hours before it starts to heat up. Keeps from overheating, getting sun burned, dehydration, and the bug count is low in the am hours. I work nights so riding in the morning is not an issue ever :)

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,659 Posts
For me an energy drink is a crap product like RedBull, Monster, 5 Hour all those.

For electrolyte replenishment I like to use Nathan Catalyst. Depending on how I fueled myself that day I may carry a cliff bar or some GU chomps but usually dont need them unless Im doing a longer ride. Im not opposed to using Gatorade or similar but I usually cut it 50 50 with water.

Probie1Kenobi: Check out PGX powder if you have not already. Its helps regulate blood sugar spikes and you may be able to drink that before a ride and still use a low sugar electrolyte like I mentioned above. If you search on it be sure to include diabetes otherwise youll find mostly diet information.

·
Ride'n Dirty
144 Posts
RipRoar said:
For me an energy drink is a crap product like RedBull, Monster, 5 Hour all those.

For electrolyte replenishment I like to use Nathan Catalyst. Depending on how I fueled myself that day I may carry a cliff bar or some GU chomps but usually dont need them unless Im doing a longer ride. Im not opposed to using Gatorade or similar but I usually cut it 50 50 with water.

Probie1Kenobi: Check out PGX powder if you have not already. Its helps regulate blood sugar spikes and you may be able to drink that before a ride and still use a low sugar electrolyte like I mentioned above. If you search on it be sure to include diabetes otherwise youll find mostly diet information.

Huh, ok, good information.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Energy drinks are such a load of marketing crap. Plus I hate how their logos are plastered all over "extreme sports" jerseys, hats, cars, boards, skis, bikes, etc and a bunch of wannabe rally car drivers wear their flat brimmed sideways Monster hats everywhere. You're 100x better off getting your nutrition from healthy food instead of sugar water with caffeine in it. If I need energy before a ride, I'll eat some sort of natural energy bar, sometimes I'll mix an Odwalla or Naked juice with water and take it on my ride, or use something like Gu or Shot Blocks.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts