Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen any scientific studies about the effectiveness of energy drinks such as Monster, Red Bull, Rock Star, etc.?

Do they work or, is it all a placebo (and marketing) effect?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
normZurawski - You're right!

I doubt I will ever see anyone loaded up with Red Bull in the CamelBak. However, I was wondering if anyone had seen any data to support the idea that an energy drink prior to a race (or training ride) worked.

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
Solo2K6 said:
Has anyone seen any scientific studies about the effectiveness of energy drinks such as Monster, Red Bull, Rock Star, etc.?

It's caffiene. There's plenty of info on caffiene.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
YUPP, those drinks just totally buzz you silly on caffiene, so if you're a caffiene person they work if n ot they can give you nice headaches etc.

Dwight Moody said:
It's caffiene. There's plenty of info on caffiene.

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
Everyone of the drinks you listed has different ingridients, but the main simulant is caffine and there are many studies that show it can increase endurance....so in a word: yes....they do work.

Since these are loaded with stimulants (that's the point isn't it) you should experiment long before race day to see if they work for you. Most taste horrible, some cause upset stomach, nervousness or shakiness which can cause a bad race.

I prefer BURN Energy Drinks because the sugar content, taste and effect. I do not typically drink them prior to XC or short races, but do drink them often during 12, 24, and epic races.....as well as on the way home to stay wake.

Eddie O

·
Registered
271 Posts
While I don't use anything but water on the trail, I do enjoy an XS if daily life has me bonked. They have low sugar, taste great, and work well. My bro works for Quixtar (formerly Amway), but I've seen them online/ebay before. Tropical Punch/Cranberry Grape/Lemonade are my favs.

Even tho Red Bull has lots of sugar/tastes worse than XS IMO, it's much more available and gets solid points for that.

I've tried Rockstar/Monster and company, but prefer the 8-12oz company of drinks. Those big cans are nothing but sweets and icky flavor. Anyone know of any other good drinks along the lines of Red Bull or XS?

·
Registered
4 Posts
With Red Bull I head it's better to drink the sugar free so you get the caffenine buzz minus the sugar crash afterwards. I haven't tried it though. I just eat cliff bars and cliff shot blocks with water in my camelbak.

·
Registered
939 Posts
eat a bowl of coffee beans :p

redbull tastes like crap, and so do most of those probably/

i figure a good racer probably wouldnt need them, besides they would probably only be good for epics, as it is caffeine, not magic, and will only give you a buzz and make you more awake, not make your legs stronger

·
Registered
228 Posts
What ive experienced that these drinks are good for....is in the morning ...instead of coffee or other stuff.....and AFTER the ride is over....lets say the drive home...after youve finished your spare bottle in the car and are feeling like getting some head and taking a nap....drink one of those drinks to feel alert and awake again. They also commonly have Taurine in them.....sometimes over 1000mg's of it...its herbal, but its another stimulant in addition to caffeine. Monster is my FAV.....Green or Orange and black cans.

·
Registered
29 Posts
sk8fool said:
With Red Bull I head it's better to drink the sugar free so you get the caffenine buzz minus the sugar crash afterwards. I haven't tried it though. I just eat cliff bars and cliff shot blocks with water in my camelbak.
I dissagree. You get more benifit from the sugar then you do the caffenine. Carbs both complex and simplex (sugers) are important while riding. Short rides you need not worry about either. Either your body has it in already or it doesn't. But longer rides you need to keep both flowing in. You will use up more then you can replace while riding. All those fancy gu packets are loaded with dexatrose and sugar. Those are your fuels for quick use. People often supliment their sugar with drinks like gatorade or coke. If you fuel up consistantly you won't get that sugar bonk, and if you're getting it you'd be feeling it earlier without the sugar.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Another energy drink??

Solo2K6 said:

You know, I went to Sam's club the other day and they're marketing yet another new energy drink!! (can't remember the name). They already have red bull and rockstar!!

Why does this stuff appeal to the general, non-racing, non-healthy, overweight public??? Are they using this stuff to make it through work on 4 hours of sleep??? Can't believe there is enough market for yet another energy drink. I know a lot of cyclist and athletes and never see them using red bulls or rockstars. Coffee, cytomax and accelerade, that's used by a lot of cyclist I know.

Anyways, what works for me is some good ole, regular coffee the morning of the race, and cytomax slightly before and during the race itself. If it's a longer race, 2-3 hours, I'll use gels on top of that.

As some else stated, the Friel cycling bible has studies in the reference section regarding the benefits of caffeine for racing and endurance. Even states how much caffeine is beneficial. So these studies would be somewhat relevent to these energy drinks depending on the mg of caffeine it contains.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Pure marketing to a huge age group(babyboomer offspring).

I work with a bunch of non-cycling 20-22yr olds. They live on those things, using them to buzz their way thru the day. Most of it is a placebo(sp) effect imho.

·
Registered
939 Posts
lolz
no not marketing, caffeine works, caffeine is no placebo, but i can imagine there are brands that dont use caffeine that rely soley on marketing hype, it'll keep you awake thats about it

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Caffeine Study

Graham, TE, and LL Spriet. Caffeine and exercise performance. Sports Science Exchange, vol. 9 (1), pp. 1-6, 1996.

1.4 to 2.8 milligrams of caffeine per pound of body weight one hour before exercise.
In general, two or three cups of drip coffee for a a 154 pound person .

20 percent improvement in time to exhaustion.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Do they work? Of course they do. It would be like saying "food doesn't give you energy". :rolleyes:

I'd think a more appropriate question would be - how well do they work ..... even then compared to more typical biking-targetted drinks (ie Hammer, eload, etc).

Honestly, i've been reading/hearing more and more that if you fuel-up "properly" (ie eating appropriately) before a ride you need nothing more than water (for shorter rides). Where does that leave caffine-laden drinks? In the can, that's where. (full pun intended)

Living off that stuff? (sticks finger down throat) We all know about the "leave a penny in a can of Coke overnight" thing, right? :eekster:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm sippin' on some Minute Maid Lemonade by the can right now. And you know what? I think it gives me just as much energy as some flashy colored sug...er..beverage. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts