Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

just built up my new enduro and was really hoping it would of come in lighter than my previous coil sprung bike, but it did not.

what i'm interested in is figuring where i can most eff drop the weight.

2010 enduro sl exp frame, xl
gravity dropper turbo
wtb devo slt
elixir cr's 203/160
sunline v-1 28 inch
50mm thompson
odi lock ons
x9 shifter/med cage der
gamut p30- 36t ring
hope pro2's/dt 5.1's
lyrik solo air-1 1/8
maxxis single ply high rollers set up getto tubeless

pretty sure ive included everything. at this point, shes 32.7 and im looking to go lighter.

ideally i would like to keep the gravity dropper, and i know the wheels have the biggest potential, but to replace them with what?

any insight/pointers would be swell.

thx

jc

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
if you really want to drop some weight you should have gone with the carbon frame for starters.
Then as for the wheelset, you could replace them with a set of Stans Flow rims laced to Chris King hubs or Hadley Hubs. Thats a nice setup capable of taking larger tires and still staying relatively light weight.
Also try going carbon bars and a lighter seat. Lighter crank? Those alone could chop a pound off.
The fork.....lyrik aren't exactly light weight. Maybe a Fox Float 36?(I'm not even sure if thats much lighter)
Lighter tires...maybe go with the new sram XX group.

In reality your bike really built up quite light for its intended use base off of the build. 32 pounds for a bike worthy of hucking off a 8 foot drop isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Your looking at A LOT of cash to drop very little weight. I don't see you being able to drop that much weight while still keeping the "spirit" of the enduro (keeping it an "all-mountain" bike).

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Just ride it. That is a pretty nice build. It weighs what it weighs.

·
wuss
2,379 Posts
As mentioned, you are not going to be able to drop a lot of weight, and the price per gram will at least be pretty high...

- Are the tires with a wire or kevlar bead?
- The suggested wheelset will hardly be lighter, actually it will probably end up heavier. I guess that will weigh about 1850 +-100g so to go lighter with the same strength you would almost need some proprietary set up.
- Carbon bar could win 50g
- Seat Post could drop 250g
Doubt you would notice a big difference apart from the tires (if they are with the wire)

edit:

btw, what I've done myself when in a similar situation is to make a spreadsheet with all the bike parts, and google for the weights. Then consider what would be possible replacements without compromising performance, and put the price (or difference what I'd pay after selling the old part) and new weight. It usually shows what's worth it and what's not very quickly.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
if you're willing to keep a seatpost that weighs almost a pound and a half, how concerned about weight can you really be? you didn't mention what cranks you have but that could be the place to lose the most. my enduro is 29.6# with a totem and mid-weight parts so i'm not sure where your weight is coming from.

·
I dig trails!
5,577 Posts
Your weight is coming from the XL frame size. You will always be at a disadvantage if you compare to others with a med. frame.

Also, if your previous frame was a trail frame but with a coil, that would not be an apples to apples comparison.

The usability of the Gravity Dropper far outweighs the 300 or so grams it adds to the build.

I have a very similar build, except it is a large and it comes in at roughly 31.5.

If you are finding the bike draggy, those tires roll like square wheels. They hook up great, but roll like poo. I run a fast tire on the back, and it's speedy. (Michelin Dry 2)

P

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
maybe you can drop a few pounds, but for a big cost. id try some different tires that roll faster. the is the most cost effective way to make your bike feel quicker. 32 pounds isnt bad at all for an am machine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Single ring

Not much room here without sacrificing durability, but you may want to consider going single ring which would allow you to ditch the frontderailleur+shifter, use a 32T front ring, get a light chainguide (with rollers).

·
RiffRaff
429 Posts
Run some ZTRflows on your hubs with tripple butted spokes and go tubless. Pay attention to tire weight also. Specialized and schwalbe are doing good in the tire dept. Maybe purgatorys. Maybe some XTR cranks. XTR cassette is nice too. If you cant go XTR, XT is nice too. A good hollow pin chain. Trim any unwanted metal like steerer tube, seat post, and bars. Pedals are a good place to loose weight also. Ti bolts. Then comes speed holes. Haha. Post a pi I might spot sumpthin else.

·
Infidel
414 Posts
You didn't mention what cassette you are running. Switching from an LX or PG970 to an XT or PG990 would save you about 100g. You could find one for around $60 on the web. I agree with those who have suggested keeping the Gravitydropper. It's well worth the weight penalty. It's a hell of a bike that you have and the weight seems quite reasonable like it sits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts