Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've got my choices narrowed down to two Specialized bikes so I thought I would ask here. I't trying to decide between the Stumpjumper FSR Elite and the Enduro SL. It seems to me the Enduro is built as more of a downhill bike only becasue it has a longer travel. I haven't really had a chance to ride either but the summer is racing by and I'd really like to get a FS bike and get into some beginner races before its over.

Still, are there going to be changes to the '08 lineup worth waiting for. Apparently the Stumpy is getting a bit of a makeover. When will the '08 bikes be available?

This being my first full suspension bike I think it will be hard for me to really know what I want. My LBS guy tells me that, at that price range, I can't really make a mistake. But I've gotten better feedback here than anywhere else so I am hoping for a little nudge in the right direction.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If you like XC position and geometry, get the Stumpy. If you want to be more upright, get the Enduro SL. I like the Stumpy because of the more stretched out top tube, while the Enduro and Enduro SL are just too upright for me.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
You said you are planning to get into some races. Cross-country races? The Stumpy is probably better for cross-country racing than the Enduro SL.

Both bikes are very good though. I chose between the two myself this year, and I had a darn hard time doing it. Finally one day I went to the shop, took both bikes outside, and spent a good hour or more just riding them back-to-back around the neighborhood, up and down a nearby hill, over some bumps. It was a very hard call for me to make.

In the end, I bought the Enduro SL. I don't race at all though, and haven't the slightest interest in racing. If I were going to get into racing, I'd buy a different bike. I see the Enduro as a bike to go out and have fun on. I wouldn't run it in a cross-country race where I really cared about winning.

BTW, don't listen to your LBS guy when he says you can't go wrong. You certainly can go wrong at the price range you're at. Between a Stumpy and an Enduro, you probably couldn't really go too far wrong. But there are plenty of expensive bikes out there that might not be suitable for you at all. For example, I'd be miserable had I spent my money this year on an Epic. The Epic is a fantastic bike, but it's a poor match for how I like to ride. It's worth taking some time to make a good decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MisterC said:
Well, I've got my choices narrowed down to two Specialized bikes so I thought I would ask here. I't trying to decide between the Stumpjumper FSR Elite and the Enduro SL. It seems to me the Enduro is built as more of a downhill bike only becasue it has a longer travel. I haven't really had a chance to ride either but the summer is racing by and I'd really like to get a FS bike and get into some beginner races before its over.

Still, are there going to be changes to the '08 lineup worth waiting for. Apparently the Stumpy is getting a bit of a makeover. When will the '08 bikes be available?

This being my first full suspension bike I think it will be hard for me to really know what I want. My LBS guy tells me that, at that price range, I can't really make a mistake. But I've gotten better feedback here than anywhere else so I am hoping for a little nudge in the right direction.

Thanks.
LOL, I am exactly in the same boat. My LBS told me the stumpjumper and the Enduro are coming out late Aug. I am waiting for the '08 to come out so I can make a better informed decision. From what I researched, the stumpjumper will be a little lighter and the rear suspension will look more like the enduro. The enduro however will have little change.
But I am hoping the fork problems many people complained about on the enduro will change in the '08.

Does anyone know the weight difference between these two bikes?

Also which bike is more comfortable to ride on?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Except for years where the entire bike is redesigned VERY little changes. I would wait for the 08s to arrive and buy an 07 and ask for a discount. As for the enduro vs stumpy, unless you really push it or never plan to race i would go with the stumpy.
I dont think i would go the SL route in the enduro world anyway. I have always likes specialized products but their "in house" shocks scare me. I tend to shy away from the first few years of anything. Let someone else work the bugs. Notice how well cannodale did with that game plan.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also just made that choice between those two bikes. Both are great bikes, but like student driver mentioned there is a difference in the riding position. I think that is a decision that is made according to the riding you do. I chose the Enduro SL because it is more confidence inspiring when taking downhills. The fork is sooo good. The steering is the first thing you notice when you ride it. Plus it is light enough to get away with some XC duty. And isn't it better to have too much travel than not enough.

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do find myself leaning towards the enduro. I don't know about the fork problems though. After watching the training videos on the Spec site it seems the shocks have really great adjustability and features. Are there issues with them failing? I notice the Cannondale board is loaded with owners begging for help with their squeaking/leaking/broken lefties. Not so much over here.

Just curious, why is the Enduro so bad for racing? Just the upright position doesn't allow for a long ride? I would think that it would be built for racing on some level. I don't want to get paid or anything but the only reason I shy away from the Enduro a bit is that I am hearing I shouldn't race it. I'm not into racing now, but it seems like it could be fun.

And man, I really don't want to wait til August, but I will. Thanks for the advice, glad to know the Specialized crowd is so friendly. This may be a bit of an editorial gut the LBS's that sell Specialized seem a lot more helpful and friendly then my local Cannondale guys. These are the only two companies that I have really looked at and I think I'm pretty much sold on Specialized.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Stumpy Vs. SL

My mind has been made up for some time, clearly coming out on the side of the SL. I have test ridden it a million times, drooled over it at the LBS, my wife even got one that the shop was having trouble moving because it was a small frame. I almost pulled the trigger about 6 weeks ago, but decided to wait for the '08 crop.

The only difference from what I can tell is new colors, so in hindsight there wasn't really any need to wait.

My wife's bike did have an issue with a cartridge in the fork, but The Big Red S overnighted a new one and the LBS is waiting for me to bring it in. The fork squats 35mm for the travel adjustment and is supposed to hold there, but hers was coming back up. I heard they had some of those sort of problems on the first batch that went out, but have been really good about taking care of them quick.

I bought a 2004 Enduro Pro on Ebay to hold me over, and updated some of the parts. It's a great bike, really confidence inspiring geometry, and a lot of fun, but the SL has more travel, is lighter, and climbs sooooooooo much better!!! Plus it just looks so stinkin' cool. I find myself making up excuses to go out to the garage so I can look at her bike.

I just rode a 2007 Stumpy 2 days ago, and it feels completely different. It's so much more cross-country feeling. It is lighter, but not by much. I just love how burly the SL feels undersaddle. But it's not heavy or burdensome on the climbs. It's actually kind of strange. I laugh every time I put my wife's bike up on the rack because it seriously weighs about 10 lbs. lighter than mine!! Of course, it's a small vs. an XL, and I have a lot of not-so-light stuff on it, but still.

Tomorrow I'm going to the shop to put my deposit down on an '08 comp of my own. I've heard end of Aug. for delivery, can anyone confirm or deny?

Anyone want to buy an '04 Enduro?

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I just read the "Problems with the E150 shock" cover to cover and I have to admit it scares me. I'll talk to my local guy about his experience with it but I sure hope that those people represent a very small percentage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like a broken record, I too went through the same choice. Well, after the Scott Genius and the discounted Nomad were shot down in flames. I ended up going in a slightly different direction to a bike I have long admired. The Stumpy was cheaper than the others I had looked at and in the black/red combo stunning. I was told by my LBS that Enduro SL Experts were hard to get hold of so after a demo bike for a long weekend up at “Glen Tress” I order the Stumpy. However……..When I arrived to pick up my stumpy there was a large Enduro SL expert sitting in the shop…:D :D …….the shop didn’t know it was coming in????. After a quick back-to-back test round the streets against the stumpy it was a no-brainer! The Stump felt as if I might break it compare to the Enduros sure footedness. I have been riding it on and off for 3 months now and its like a big safe glove now. Jump parks, red runs, climbs, trails are all more accessible to me now. I am not a great rider but fling my all into any decent and need help on the climb. The Enduro does all that and more.:thumbsup:

No issues with the suspension but the rear brake has been replaced under warranty.:thumbsup:

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
MisterC said:
Just curious, why is the Enduro so bad for racing? .
Actually, it depends upon the terrain over which you are racing. Where I live, the few races I am aware of are cross-country over relatively level ground. The advantage will go to lighter weight, more aerodynamic position, better geometry for climbing, and minimal suspension.

Here's an experiment that you can try: Next time you're at your LBS, ask to take an Epic out for a spin around the neighborhood. Specialized categorizes that bike as "competitive xc". Climb (and descend!) a hill with it, if there's one nearby. Then borrow bike like SX Trail and try the same ride. Think of those two bikes as the opposite ends of a spectrum. You should notice a huge difference between them, especially going up and down the hill. The Stumpy FSR and the Enduro SL will fall somewhere in the middle, with the Stumpy FSR being a bit closer to the Epic side, and the Enduro SL being a bit closer to the SX Trail side.

If you're just racing for fun, then sure, race what you've got and ride the Enduro. And since you are not a died-in-the-wool racer right at this moment in your life, perhaps you should just buy the Enduro if that's the bike you really like the best now. Worry about buying a race bike down the road if/when you ever decide that you want to get serious about racing.

The SL suits me very well. I can ride cross-country with it. And I enjoy running downhill with it. The bike handles any terrain that I'm willing to ride. The bike may not be optimal for anything, but it is "centered" in that it I can always count on it to work reasonably well no matter where I take it. If I were a downhill racer, I'd buy a different bike. Were I a cross country racer, I'd buy a different bike.

Sorry to have rambled on for so long. (I'm late for work now). Have fun with whatever you decide to buy. enjoy the process. Testing-riding and buying is all part of the fun.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Also, to clarify what I keep reading, the Stumpy FSR is NOT a fragile bike. I weight around 230 plus gear, and I descend on it quite a bit over large, loose rocks. I have taken drops a little over 2ft with it as well using Crossmax SL wheels. There really isn't a lot, strenght-wise, separating the two bikes. Basically you get geometry/travel, the fork change, and increased weight for the Enduro SL (and remember, there is a difference between Enduro and Enduro SL, where the Enduro does feel like a tank in comparison). There appear to have been some issues with the fork, but Specialized has taken care of them. Just make sure to not ding the frame with the fork as one person did. ;) Oh, and the Stumpy really is more XC than the Enduro SL is. I think of it as "XXXC" because of the increased travel and stability while descending over most XC bikes.

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh man, Local shop just offerend me a Pro Carbon Enduro SL for 1000 bucks off. What's the catch? If there isn't I think I just might pony up the cash this weekend.

·
Registered
490 Posts
MisterC said:
Oh man, Local shop just offerend me a Pro Carbon Enduro SL for 1000 bucks off. What's the catch? If there isn't I think I just might pony up the cash this weekend.
Specialized proprietary fork and shock, yes? Or maybe that model has Fox parts, I don't know.

I test drove both recently. I couldn't get beyond the Specialized fork/shock on the Enduro Comp - I almost told the shop guy not to bother but he had already installed clipless pedals.

Get the Enduro if you want an upright, potentially plush ride. Get the Stumpy if you like the XC feel, which I do. Stumpy is a much more aggresive position for climbing. The Enduro climbed well, nothing to really detract it, I just don't know how it would do on really steep stuff, and it might get old fighting the wandering front end. Then again it does lock down the fork which might satisfy that problem.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
I just rode an '07 Nomad today, and the SL blows it out of the water, IMHO. I'm not that great at citing specifics about what was better, I'm pretty new to riding, but the Nomad was an XL frame, I'm 6'4", and I felt cramped on it compared to the SL.

If anyone is having trouble deciding between the SL and another bike, but hasn't ridden it yet, do whatever it takes to take one for a spin. I wasn't even considering buying a new bike, but one ride around the parking lot on a whim had me looking for a second job. It's that good.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Oh yeah, I saw the new prices too!! The Comp (base model) went up from $2800 MSRP to $3500!!! There was almost no change in the specs either!! They are using new tires (s-works), and Shimano crankset instead of Trutativ, but aside from paint, it is the exact same bike for $700 more. Good ol' supply and demand.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The Carbon might be a great deal because I was told they had a lot of them in stock still. The S-Works frame, along with the aluminum ones sold well, but the carbon is just kind of in an awkward position price-wise in the lineup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.