Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Follow up question I forgot to ask in my last post. What brands of Enduro (or longer travel Trail) bikes does everyone usually agree are high quality? Have little to no problems overall? And most people would agree are top end bikes while also offering great value. Not looking at brands like Santa Cruz, Intense, Yeti, etc. Those are far too expensive and not good values.

What I'm looking to get, is my first Full Suspension 29" wheel bike here soon. I came into some money ;) But I'm also on a budget in general, so this bike purchase has to be a high quality bike, that is very durable, has little to no known problems, and will last me at least 7-10 years or longer with little to no major maintenance costs or major part replacements. I will mostly be riding what I think is All mountain or Enduro type trails. It's 60-70% down, and about 30-40% uphill, but those uphill parts are short. The majority of the riding is flat or down. And there are some pretty gnarly features in the trail as well as some crazy jumps and other cool stuff like that. So I don't want to get a Trail bike that is leaning more towards XC. I want something with a lot of travel, I can get nuts with it, and just bomb down anything and suck up all the bumps, trees and rocks with no problem.

A buddy of mine recently got a Trek Fuel EX 8 last year and it is NIGHT AND DAY different from my old mid 90's hardtail Stumpjumper. I could literally just go as fast as I wanted down the trail and not have to worry about almost anything unless it was a foot or taller. It was the most fun I've maybe had in my life ever! I was laughing like I was on shrooms or something the entire first 20 mins, haha. So I want that type of bike but even MORE travel and even more bomber. Not quite a DH rig, but somewhere in between my buddies Trek Fuel EX 8 and a DH bike. But also have decent climbing ability and decent maneuverability. I don't want a DH sled that just goes straight 80mph, haha. It has to have some decent ability to climb and turn fairly quickly. But overall, I'm just looking to have a ton of fun going really fast DOWN!

It's been FOREVER since I used to ride, and I used to know all the brands and bikes and technology innovations going on in the industry, read all the MTB magazines, etc. But after many years away from the sport, I hardly recognize anything. And there are a thousand more brands to choose from now. But I'm back baby, and ready to get back into it big time!

So I know enough about bikes in general (road or mtb) to make smart choices. But I do need help from the experts out there on navigating all these new brands. It used to be Specialized, Trek, Cannondale and maybe a few others. But now I see SOOOO many brands I've never heard of. And I just need some general advice from everyone on what brands are great, which ones are alright, and which ones I should stay away from.

So if you guys can list as many brands as you can think of that are generally known in the industry as being very high quality, reliable, durable, good to great customer service, and great values, that would be SO helpful.

So far, the few bikes I've researched that seem to be great bikes and a good value are the Canyon Strive, the YT Capra Comp, Marin Alpine Trail, and the Trek Fuel Ex, and Trek Slash (seems to be on the more expensive side of all these Enduro bikes though). I'm sure there's loads more, but those are the ones I've found that have a great frame, great long travel suspension fork and rear shock, good components, and are priced well. Some of the Specialized and a few other brands I've seen in the process are crazy expensive for a similar bike and want to stay away from brands that charge more for the same thing.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

·
No Clue Crew
7,090 Posts
Just give folks an idea where you ride and what your actual budget is.

·
Trail Ninja
6,047 Posts
Ibis Ripmo AF is $3000 with really nice suspension that has user-friendly serviceability. Everything else seems solid enough quality to ride as is. Top 3 choice, assuming you're of average height.

·
Trail Rider
1,321 Posts
Since you like the FEX 8, and you're not opposed 27.5 wheels, demo a Remedy 8. A bit burlier.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you like the FEX 8, and you're not opposed 27.5 wheels, demo a Remedy 8. A bit burlier.
So that bike would be a great option, but it has 27.5" wheels and the stack is way to short for me even in XL. I'm 6'8" and only looking at 29 bikes, that's why I'm posting in this forum ;) The stack on that thing in XL is only 615mm! The other bikes I'm looking at are all around 645-655mm. That's way too short for me :(

But thanks for the suggestion. That bike looks sick, just wish it had 29" wheels and more stack. It would be one of the top contenders for sure. That Remedy 7 in the teal color is the TITS!!!

So far, here is my list of bikes that have acceptable stack, reach, suspension travel of 150mm or more, is affordable, a good brand, and has 29" wheels:

- Trek Fuel EX 8 Plus

- YT Capra Comp and Base

- Canyon Strive CF 7.0

- Marin Alpine Trail 8

- Niner RIP 9 RDO in a few different builds

I also see some good bikes that are very similar to the above from Devinci? Never heard of them. Are they really good or just alright quality and performance wise?

And I need to stay in the $2500-3500 range to answer the other persons question.

Thanks

·
Formerly of Kent
12,220 Posts
Where do you live that is 60-70% down, 30-40% up?

Are you shuttling every ride? Bike park?

·
No Clue Crew
7,090 Posts
Where do you live that is 60-70% down, 30-40% up?

Are you shuttling every ride? Bike park?
Right? That was my follow up question, but didn’t want to get into a math debate. Wherever it is, I need to move there.

OP: At your height, you need to be looking at XXL bikes. Or search for a used Guerrilla Gravity Smash on Pinkbike in XL (they run big).

·
Trail Ninja
6,047 Posts
Most of the ones you're considering are for people of average proportions, besides the Niner RIP9 and Trek Fuel EX.

Alternatives:

Banshee Titan
Spec Stumpjumper
Nukeproof Mega 290

*Some bikes have a weight limit of around 250 to 300 lbs. Not sure which is which, but I wouldn't trust the lightweight ones.

If you're open to e-bike (motor pedal assist), check out the Fezzari Wire Peak.

·
g=9.764m/s2
712 Posts
Propain Tyee should be on this side of the pond by mid-year in AL with build yourself capability, possibly...

AND 1 thread read is enough, you don’t need 3 or more on the topic... the New Posts search makes sure it is seen by most users...d;o)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rocky Mountain Instinct BC Edition is a great bike. Climbs will and bomb the downhills.

That bike looks incredible and I would be all over it. But it's kind of on the small side. The stack is only 630 and the reach 481. I'm going to need something around 650ish or more and reach around 500 or more. I've already have been fit professionally for a few road bikes and had my father help me as well (he's a long time super nerd road biker that knows almost everything there is to know about fitting and bikes, haha). And I need around 650 or more stack and 500 or more reach. But thanks for the suggestion, that bike looks insane and is outfitted with great stuff for the price. Best

·
Registered
36 Posts
Santa Cruz Hightower comes in XXL in the carbon models. Not cheap but a great bike with a reach of 518 and a stack of 660 plus a lifetime frame warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone have any first hand experience with any of the following brands? Or if no first hand experience, are any of these brands known to be super reliable great bike brands in the industry?

Niner, YT, Marin, Nukeproof, Devinici, Kona, Evil, and Norco to name a few I'm looking at? Also, some of these I can't seem to find for sale from American retailers or American online retailers. I'm assuming some of these brands might be made in other countries?

I found some killer bikes from all of these companies that are also big enough for me, but know little to nothing about most of them. The only brands I've even heard of before today are Marin, Kona and Norco. But I don't know that much about them either.

The few bikes I'm leaning towards other than the Canyon Strive CF7.0 are the:
- YT Capra Comp 29

- Niner RIP 9 in a few different builds

- Marin Alpine Trail 9 or 7

Are these considered high quality reliable bikes/brands?

Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Santa Cruz Hightower comes in XXL in the carbon models. Not cheap but a great bike with a reach of 518 and a stack of 660 plus a lifetime frame warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn! That is a KILLER deal on a really good bike that is huge! I think that bike is going to the top of the list for possibilities! 660 stack and 518 reach with a lifetime frame warranty, great components and great suspension! Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know Santa Cruz made any affordable bikes (thought they only made super high end outrageously priced bikes for pros). Best!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
So that bike would be a great option, but it has 27.5" wheels and the stack is way to short for me even in XL. I'm 6'8" and only looking at 29 bikes, that's why I'm posting in this forum ;) ..
Well at 6'8" I have to ask about weight. Many riders are 150-230lbs and are not 6'8". I will assume you are heavier than 230 even if slender just due to height. As such all components will be more stressed as compared to most riders.

·
Trail Ninja
6,047 Posts
Anyone have any first hand experience with any of the following brands? Or if no first hand experience, are any of these brands known to be super reliable great bike brands in the industry?

Niner, YT, Marin, Nukeproof, Devinici, Kona, Evil, and Norco to name a few I'm looking at? Also, some of these I can't seem to find for sale from American retailers or American online retailers. I'm assuming some of these brands might be made in other countries?

I found some killer bikes from all of these companies that are also big enough for me, but know little to nothing about most of them. The only brands I've even heard of before today are Marin, Kona and Norco. But I don't know that much about them either.

The few bikes I'm leaning towards other than the Canyon Strive CF7.0 are the:
- YT Capra Comp 29

- Niner RIP 9 in a few different builds

- Marin Alpine Trail 9 or 7

Are these considered high quality reliable bikes/brands?

Thanks
The brands are quality and reliable, but that's over-generalizing.

Like I said before, what works for someone average height and weight, goes different for someone big and tall. Alpine Trail will handle massively differently for you, than it did for Richard Cunningham of pinkbike. Test ride it back to back with a RIP and I have absolutely no doubt that you'd be confused by why the Alpine gets rave reviews and why the RIP9 seems to be a sleeper hit, each in size XL. As someone 5' 7", I'll take an Alpine Trail without hesitation over RIP9. Test ride... don't trust reviewers who are average height. Check the Clydesdale section.

Gotta take my word for the Mega 290. The Capra 29 has an XXL, but I'd say the XL is better, other than the fact that the actual seat angle is overly slack (seatpost appears slacker than fork, which may pose a problem for long legged folk) and probably wouldn't be too friendly for climbing unless you customize the rear shock to not sag excessively.

Also, 685 stack on that 2018 Stumpjumper actually sounds ahead of its time. I rode a 2013 Spec Enduro 29 in med that had 650 stack and that bike rode really well. Now the stack heights on bikes are around 600 mm, and I'm ending up running spacers under the stem. That and it artificially inflates the reach #, and messes with the reliability/trustworthiness effective seat angles and ETT.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts