Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your setup? I've run the High Roller II's, Hans Damps, and the conti mountain kings. Not thrilled with any but wanted to know what others are experiencing. I am running Tubeless setup and I keep puncturing the rears. But my biggest issue now,seems to be that the front tire gives up on corners. Which tire corners best? Currently liking the high roller II's somewhat.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I used to come from Trail Kings then Hans Dampf and finally the HR2.

Among the 3 - the HR2 for me is my new favorite front tire. I find with the HD and TK that they have generally good grip but the HR2 really lets me lean the bike with confidence.

As for the rear, I just play around with a Nobby Nic or an Ardent

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have the same problem with the front washing out. Hard to feel confident throwing the bike into corners and leaning on the front wheel. I've though about using a super fast rolling small tread rear just so the rear always goes out first, drive it with the rear out style. But would rather fix it with a proper front. I've used the same as you, also minion dhf's. I'm thinking of doing a minion dhf, high roller rear next. The minion seems to have good consistent grip as you lean the bike over, I feel like you can push the dhf a little further, but when it gives out it's not quite as recoverable as the high roller. Where the high roller slides a little sooner but kind of stays in that drifty controllable zone that a lot of tires don't even have. Maybe a big sticky dhf, up front, and a harder smaller high roller 2 in the back would be good?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Keep it coming.
Mrsa, I'm with you. I was thinking of try the exact setup you described, DHF up front and High Roller II in the rear.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm running minion dhf tubeless up front, and depending on the course, a hr2 or another minion dhf ( reversed, for super rocky courses) in the rear. I really, really love the dhf up front... its a bit heavier in its exo single ply than hans and others, but it corners like a beast and is really consistent. I have single ply minions for most stuff, and a dh walled set for Angel Fire, Key Stone, and venues that have rocks that like to destroy wheelsets.

I also just picked up a magic mary out of curiosity for the front but haven't mounted it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well in my quest for cornering traction I just purchased a set of 40mm Derby hoops. To bad they are on back order. It will be a long wait.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Figuring out what tire give you the most confidence is really important and the HR IIs are really nice. Minion DHF or DHR II will have a bit more grip in most conditions. Work on your cornering technique, too. Most of us don't use the best technique to give us the confidence regardless of the tire.

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
Maybe try playing with air pressures before buying new tires. I run as low as I can. Try dropping pressure by a few PSI until each ride until the tires start to feel squirmy or you start burping a lot of air. You might be able to get better traction with what you're currently running.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe try playing with air pressures before buying new tires. I run as low as I can. Try dropping pressure by a few PSI until each ride until the tires start to feel squirmy or you start burping a lot of air. You might be able to get better traction with what you're currently running.
You are right, tire pressure is very important. I have played around quite a bit with the pressures. I was down to the low 20's and was liking thoses pressure. I got accustomed to the squishy feeling and felt grip was fantastic. The only problem was I would puncture tires way too easily at these pressures. Things like a rock garden or roots became too much for the speed I was carrying. I would pinch flat the tire and I was running tubeless tires. I'm currently running about 24-26 psi and so far so good. We have a lot of rough terrain and I'm not slow. I usually try to boost these sections but if I clip the back end of the rocks at those pressures then the tire is done half the time.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have been running a Hans Dampf up front for the last two years. Just switched to the HR2 to try it out and love it. In the rear my current favorite is the new Rock Razor for our Socal conditions. Fantastic grip and rolls really, really fast. Just be aware that after the sipes disappear on the rear it will get slippery fast. I did like the Conti MKII in the rear as well, but had a lot of puncture issues even with the protection casing.

Regarding pressures, I run Derby rims and am at 17 PSI front and 23 PSI rear. Prior to the Derby's I was running 19 PSI front and 25 PSI rear on my Easton Haven's. My terrain is typical Socal loose over hard, but I also ride a lot of high speed rocks.

·
bad reputation
463 Posts
SP,
When you ran your Hans Dampf up front did you have puncture problems. Mine is less than a month old and I punctured it on one of the smoothest trails in my area. I'm preparing for my first Enduro and I'm afraid to run another HD after such a simple puncture that Stan's won't seal. Not to mention the cost of a tire lasting 4 weeks.

Sent by iPhone via Tapatalk

·
San Miguel Beer Drinker
344 Posts
Does anyone still use nevegals here, at least as a rear tire ? Planning to match it with HR2 up front.

Sent from my MyPhone A888 Duo using Tapatalk

·
bad reputation
463 Posts
What widths are Minnion DHF's available for 650b? The Maxxis website doesn't list anything in 27.5, so far all I've found is a 2.3 but I was hoping for a little wider - maybe 2.4.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pinched another tire today. Conti MountainKing. At least I can say that these LightBike Chinese Carbon rims are strong. Real strong. They have blow thru 3sets of tires without a single blemish other than scratches.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Might have to bite the bullet and add some more PSI. I typically run 28-32 range on the rear. Doesn't feel as good, but I don't put holes in a tire every week (which I used to do regularly). My rims are happier, too. Any time lost due to the higher pressure will be small compared to the flat that ends your race.

Which LB rims are you using? Thinking that's what I'll do when I frag my current setup.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Might have to bite the bullet and add some more PSI. I typically run 28-32 range on the rear. Doesn't feel as good, but I don't put holes in a tire every week (which I used to do regularly). My rims are happier, too. Any time lost due to the higher pressure will be small compared to the flat that ends your race.

Which LB rims are you using? Thinking that's what I'll do when I frag my current setup.
I was at 26psi so you may be correct. I'll move up to 28.

I got my LB's last year so they are the first production run as far as I can remember. They are bombproof so far. I'm gonna grab a set of DERBY 40mm tho. I'm really wanting to run lower pressures.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Last year I raced a full season of enduro on Hans Dampf up front and 2.3 spec purgatory in the back.

This year I have a 2.35 Bontrager XR4 (17psi) up front and a 2.3 spec. Ground Control grid (24PSI) out back

I weigh 145lbs, hence the low PSI

1 - 20 of 348 Posts