Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need some help. I've read all I can online and now need some.....semi, human interaction.

Quick history- I rode heavily from '92-'96. Injuries and life changes sent me in other directions. Now I'm 5'10", 260 lbs (decent physical ability but out of shape) and want back in. I had a hard tail "back in the day" with FS with about 1.5" of travel.....we've come a long way!!:thumbsup: I love decending and hate climbing. However I have to climb to come back down.

I want an all-mountain bike. I've been told by a bike shop guy that a Stumpjumper FSR would be fine. I "think" I want an Enduro..(prolly an Elite). How important is the ability to lock out the rear shock? Being heavy and not enjoying climbing, is there that much "bobing" with a non-locking rear susp.? I don't want to make climbing anymore difficult than it has to be, but I want to know that I bomb down without much concern.

Only other question is- for that $2000-$2500 range, I'm I nuts for not looking at something else? Thanks guys, in advance!

Matt

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
the SX

is discontinued after 06 I beleive, as Specialized realized that bike was a FR -ready bike for major hucking and not really all that great for trail and all mountain riding. It is a great bike, but it's more downhill-oriented than most.

The FSR is 5" of travel and should suit you very nicely for what you want. The suspension on the '06 Comp locks out front and back for climbs if you want.

The 07 Enduro I don't know squat about except the carbon one at 27 pounds and many thousands of $ to buy and 6". There's a great alternative, but I can't comment other than what I've read looks good.

My '06 Stumpy gets me up and down some fairly gnarly things on Vancouver's north shore, no flies on it at all, just a crappy slow old rider for an "engine"

Are there others? he// yes, a ton of great bikes out there. Hecklers, Ventanas, Titus, blah blah blah...it's almost overwhelming. Take your time & get the one you want that fits best.

Good luck, Jim (sits back and waits for the Ibex crew to take over ;o) )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JimC. said:
is discontinued after 06 I beleive, as Specialized realized that bike was a FR -ready bike for major hucking and not really all that great for trail and all mountain riding. It is a great bike, but it's more downhill-oriented than most.

(sits back and waits for the Ibex crew to take over ;o) )
It looks like, from the looks of "Spesh's" website, that they have the Enduro SL, Enduro, and SX. Don't understand what the difference is between the latter two. The FSR looks like it's billed more as a XC bike. Hmmmmm, good points though. (…..brain starts to smoke from indecision) Why are the Ibex bikes so great? I see them pointed to time and time. I looked briefly, I'll have to check again.

Matt

·
Banned
462 Posts
I never used my lockout feature and never noticed the bike bobbing. The Specialized suspension design is pretty efficient from what I read.

Check out the Clydesdale forum for advice on what to get. They're dedicated to helping the big guys pick and choose the right gear. I'm thinking since you're 260 lbs and plan to be doing jump you might want a more rugged bike with more travel (Enduro?)

Good luck

·
Banned
462 Posts
Soar Thumbs said:
It looks like, from the looks of "Spesh's" website, that they have the Enduro SL, Enduro, and SX. Don't understand what the difference is between the latter two. The FSR looks like it's billed more as a XC bike. Hmmmmm, good points though. (…..brain starts to smoke from indecision) Why are the Ibex bikes so great? I see them pointed to time and time. I looked briefly, I'll have to check again.

Matt
It's not so much that they're so great as much as the fact their reletively in expensive in terms of what you get for the money. Then there's also a dedicated band of spammers here who tells EVERYONE to buy their bikes even though the OP posts a question about two non related bikes. This is probably to get more people to buy their bikes so they're not the only one one the trail riding an Ibex and having everyone else stare at them and say huh? :skep:

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
correction

the SX lives, I'm wrong, apologies.

here's what it is though-from specialized www: "This got to be kinda confusing for you and a lot of other people, so we made the SX: one bike that handles a lot of freeride things really well. Thanks to FSR suspension and relaxed geometry, the SX Trail guarantees control, even when you get in a little too deep.

so if you want hefty and bombproof and FR the Enduro, more all mountain and trails, the Stumpy applies.

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not at all. I appreciate the interaction. It makes me think and gives different perspectives. I'm never sure just how much to believe from individual companies websites. How much is usefull info and how much is what I want to hear. Thanks again!

Matt

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
it's a tough call

I finally just gave up and have 2 bikes: a 47lb FR rig I love to hate, except when riding at Whistler/North Shore when I fall back in love with it, and a Stumpy FSR Comp I continue to be surprised by, with how well it's performed for me as a simple trail bike. It's way better than that, it simply performs beyond expectation.

take your time, and FWIW there seems to be a move from big heavy DH/FR to more well rounded all mountain bikes that can be pedalled up and can also descend well.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Hm, at your weight the Enduro might be a better choice than the Stumpy. Not sure for '07 but last year's Enduro Pro and Expert came with Talas 36 forks, which are nice and stiff without being heavy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.