Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

First off - let me say thanks to all who have posted great advice and done work on the warranty for the E150 fork. This forum convinced me to buy my 2008 Enduro Expert in medium size. it comes out at 29.2 lbs all in.

I have a question -
When I tried the bike out I felt it was a little bit short in reach for me.
Height: 177.00 cm / 5'10.5
Inseam Length: 79.00 cm / 32"
Arm Length: 68.00 cm / 27.2"

I gotthe shop guys to put on the 100mm stem from an XL bike in place of the 80mm item and pedaling round the car park it felt better.

However, I've now taken it for a proper ride and think I may have made a mistake. What I gained in comfort getting to the trails I've lost in control down the trail.

The shop say they'll sort the 80mm stem out for me again. I'll go for that.

My question (finally), is there any way I can get a bit more reach without a longer stem?
The saddle is right back on the recomended markings. I thought about a Thompson layback seat post but wondered if this would gain any reach over the standard one.

Cheers!
Kas

·
Registered
919 Posts
I noticed the same thing, and ended up going with an XL instead of a L (I'm 6'0"). The bike feels great, when I'm on it, but my feet can barely touch the ground, so I'm not sure I made the best decision either. Try the Thompson Layback.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the reply.

I don't suppose you know how much extra reach a thompson would give do you? I don't want to buy one if it won't cure the problem.

thread drift/
What's the sail in your signature? was wondering if it's windsurfing as that's my 'other' sport.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The stock seatpost has the same or slightly more setback than the Thomson set back, so that wouldn't work. Once you have the 80mm on there you'll be fine, The Enduro is a sitting upright kind of bike, not a streched out racer bike like an Epic. Give your self six months to get used to the feel.

·
Registered
226 Posts
mega_kas said:
Hiya

First off - let me say thanks to all who have posted great advice and done work on the warranty for the E150 fork. This forum convinced me to buy my 2008 Enduro Expert in medium size. it comes out at 29.2 lbs all in.

I have a question -
When I tried the bike out I felt it was a little bit short in reach for me.
Height: 177.00 cm / 5'10.5
Inseam Length: 79.00 cm / 32"
Arm Length: 68.00 cm / 27.2"

I gotthe shop guys to put on the 100mm stem from an XL bike in place of the 80mm item and pedaling round the car park it felt better.

However, I've now taken it for a proper ride and think I may have made a mistake. What I gained in comfort getting to the trails I've lost in control down the trail.

The shop say they'll sort the 80mm stem out for me again. I'll go for that.

My question (finally), is there any way I can get a bit more reach without a longer stem?
The saddle is right back on the recomended markings. I thought about a Thompson layback seat post but wondered if this would gain any reach over the standard one.

Cheers!
Kas
I am the assistant manager in a bike shop and I do quite a bit of fitting, so I may be able to help you out. I ride a 2008 Enduro SL (large) and I am 6' with a 32 inseam. So if you like to be more stretched out, you may be on the wrong size. On the flip side I would echo what PB Matrix said about the enduro being a more upright riding bike. That may take a little getting used to if you are coming off of a more xc style bike. As far as messing with the seat post set back, that is not advisable to correct a reach issue. The fore-aft adjustment is set by the relationship of your knee over the crank arm. Put your bike in a trainer or have someone hold it steady while you are on the bike. With the crank arm in the 3 o'clock position, you should be able to drop a plumb line from the end of your patella and it should fall in line with the edge of the crank arm. Once you have proper seat fore/aft, then see how the reach feels and adjust at the stem accordingly.

PM me if you have any further questions.

Jeff

·
Registered
919 Posts
mega_kas said:
cheers for the reply.

I don't suppose you know how much extra reach a thompson would give do you? I don't want to buy one if it won't cure the problem.

thread drift/
What's the sail in your signature? was wondering if it's windsurfing as that's my 'other' sport.
The "Sail" part of my name comes from sailing Schooners and racing 12-Meter AC Yachts... Love to sail. Love to Surf. Love to ride bikes. Still have yet to combine the "surf" and "sail" with wind or kite surfing...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

to be honest I think it's the fact that my other bike is an XC hardtail with 120mm stem and I'm used to riding that.

I'll get the shorter stem back on there and adapt according when on this bike.

Jeff - That's interesting about the crank lining up with my knee - I'll check it out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm a firm believer that stem length should be determined by your riding style, and not by trying to get the correct reach, that's what different length top tubes / frame sizes are for.

A short stem is going to feel a lot better for fast decending and drops / jumps, the trade off being that your front wheel will have a tendancy to wander around during slow climbs. For me personally, and the way I ride the Enduro, it's a lot more important to have the bike feel spot on for decending, and you can quite easily get used to climbing with a short stem. I don't think the Enduro was designed for having the rider in a stretched out position like on a dedicated xc bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.