Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at buying an 07 eundro sl expert for 2999. But today i found an enduro s-works but its an 05, still brand new. They want 2999.00 for it also.
I mainly ride singletrack but i ride very hard (just cracked my kona frame) and jump or drop everything i can.
What do you guys think, is the 2005 a good deal?

Thanks

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
goldenraptor said:
The 07 has beter suspension, is more efficient and lighter.

......LIGHT YEARS better suspension

i ride very hard (just cracked my kona frame) and jump or drop everything i can.
Get the SL

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you are very hard on your bikes, you might be better off with the 05 Enduro, but try to get a better deal on it.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
djska said:
If you are very hard on your bikes, you might be better off with the 05 .

What makes you say that?

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
I agree, I had an SL (sold it to DJSKA actually, lol) and actually prefer my 05 S-Works Enduro over the SL. For the weight penalty ( my SW Enduro weighs 33lbs) i feel it is very fast, and i never feel at a disadvantage when i ride with guys that are on SL's or other XC bikes.

In terms of suspension, I dont know what makes the SL light years ahead of the enduro, the suspension on boths bikes is great in my opinion, they both perform wonderful. My 05 Enduro seems much plusher, and has the "climb over anything" feeling when going up hills, just point uphill and pedal, it doesnt matter what is in the way, and it decends like a DH bike going down, the frame is super solid, and stable feeling, it really inspires confidence. The SL on the other hand is (depending on how you have the shock set) at bit more like an XC bike when climbing, pick a line and pedal up, it climbs great, but i didnt feel it had that "roll over anything" feeling the SW enduro had........people that have ridden Standard enduros know what i am talking about.

The SL too decends great, i just didnt feel it was as plush or a ride down as the Regular Enduro was.

I agree though, if you the route of the SW Enduro, i would try to get the price down a bit, possibly $2450-$2650?

Let us know what you, and honestly, you CANT make a bad choice with those two bikes, see if you can test ride either...and keep us updated........also PICS when it arrives! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enduro Sl or S-works enduro

I just picked up the SL to take for a test ride on the trails tonight. I also talked the manager about the 05 Enduro and he said he would take 2500, thats the lowest he could go. So now I have to make a decesion. about 500 difference in price.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Go the Enduro SL! IT's a great bike and you will appreciate the lighter weight. Hell, I have one and sometimes wish I would have got the expert with the CF frame!
This comp can be made lighter down the road without sacrificing too much strength!
Let us know which one you get!

·
Registered
108 Posts
gwayms said:
I just picked up the SL to take for a test ride on the trails tonight. I also talked the manager about the 05 Enduro and he said he would take 2500, thats the lowest he could go. So now I have to make a decesion. about 500 difference in price.
you just made your biggest mistake.... test riding the SL... your going to fall in love with it...

i told my LBS that my budget was 1200-2000. And i rode stumpys, fuels, giants... but i tried the SL just for the hell of it. 30 minutes later i had spent $2700 on an SL.:D

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
jut8 said:
I agree, I had an SL (sold it to DJSKA actually, lol) and actually prefer my 05 S-Works Enduro over the SL. For the weight penalty ( my SW Enduro weighs 33lbs) i feel it is very fast, and i never feel at a disadvantage when i ride with guys that are on SL's or other XC bikes.

In terms of suspension, I dont know what makes the SL light years ahead of the enduro, the suspension on boths bikes is great in my opinion, they both perform wonderful. My 05 Enduro seems much plusher, and has the "climb over anything" feeling when going up hills, just point uphill and pedal, it doesnt matter what is in the way, and it decends like a DH bike going down, the frame is super solid, and stable feeling, it really inspires confidence. The SL on the other hand is (depending on how you have the shock set) at bit more like an XC bike when climbing, pick a line and pedal up, it climbs great, but i didnt feel it had that "roll over anything" feeling the SW enduro had........people that have ridden Standard enduros know what i am talking about.

The SL too decends great, i just didnt feel it was as plush or a ride down as the Regular Enduro was.

I agree though, if you the route of the SW Enduro, i would try to get the price down a bit, possibly $2450-$2650?

Let us know what you, and honestly, you CANT make a bad choice with those two bikes, see if you can test ride either...and keep us updated........also PICS when it arrives! :)

I actually disagree with most of your comparisons (with a caveat). I've owned several enduros over the years and other than the SL, one glaring, consistent trait is that they all squat under drive forces when going uphill. Every one of them. This is something you can tune out with modern pedal platformed shocks, but I have yet to ride one from any manufacturer that doesn't suffer a compromise on suppleness with an increase in pedaling platform. That's why I sold the enduro I had last year for a 6.6. I ride dh bikes as much as xc bikes and it's pretty rough where I ride usually so I do prefer a plush ride down. To get level bike up and a smooth ride down, I had to change something on my shock at every high point of a ride.

The new SLs don't do this. I know it's the frame because (caveat coming;)) the first thing I did with mine was put an RP3 on it. It has nowhere near the 'xc' feel of the AFR shock. I've gotten a ride in on one (today) with the stock shock and any of what you mentioned above is I think due to the stock damper. To be honest I think it kind of sucks for the type of ride I'm after. It definitely rids stiffer. The frame works just fine with a 'normal' damper.

The pre SL enduros descended like a champ in my opinion. I literally got rid of my 6.6 because I know I was riding slower on descents than with my old enduro. But with the new SL design, the bike also climbs level with little or no damper assistance. Tahoe is full of rough little uphill sections and this is one of the best climbing bikes I've ridden. It's only drawback in my mind is the slack headangle. But that's not the suspension.......which I think is the best thing spec has ever done on a trail bike. Hence my 'light years' comment. Check some of the reviews....I'm not alone on this.;)

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Hmmm........now that you are saying that, I would like to give the RP3 a try on an SL, because i loved the fork and the geometry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually rode both bike this weekend. I rented the SL for a day and rode it on the trails, it was very nice a little stiff on the suspension (but it was also set up from the shop and not for me). It climbed very good and when you get down on the pedals its takes off like a rocket.
yesterday I took the 05 Enduro S-works from the bike shop around the neighborhood. They wouldnt let me take it on the trails so I had to find things to drop off and jump. I rode it pretty hard for about 30 minutes. I really like this bike, it felt more like my old Kona. Seemed a little eaiser to control and it jumped and took drops like a champ. I really wish I could ride it on the trails but I still think I might like it better than the SL. And they are selling it to me for 2500.

So now Im confused, but I think I might go with the S-works

·
Registered
319 Posts
Since you've broken a frame before, I'd suggest to go for the strongest frame of the two. The SL is relatively light (my L is 2.9kg incl. shock/headset, without front-derailleur), but it looks quite sturdy and no one in this forum seems to have broken a frame yet. The older Enduro seems a sturdier bike, but on the other hand, the problems I did see in this forum where related to the rear end only. I think the SL has a really sturdy frontend, the weight difference is probably caused by the lighter shock, lack of a shuttle, slightly simpler frame construction perhaps.

Take the fork and the wheels into account as well: the Enduro SL E150 fork is relatively new and possibly too light for your purpose. What fork does the 05 Enduro S-Works have? A Pike? Since changing the fork out is quite costly take this in mind. Furthermore the Enduro SL has more XC-oriented wheels (the S-Works has more robuust wheels I believe).

To come to a conclusion: the SL is cool, but it will cost you a lot to make it a sturdier bike if needed (heavier fork, stronger wheels, better shock for your purpose). The Enduro 05 is as strong as you may need it to be right now. So it may turn out to be the most cost-effective option for you.

Myself I'm running a sort of compromise between the two: SL-frame, Pike454Air. But my purpose was built a bike that fits my weight (73kg) and can do what I dare to risk and that doesn't include 15ft drops! :). I'm always challenging myself but not to the point where I would seriously break something if it where to go hayward.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Enduro has a Fox Talas 36, I think the bike is a little more sturdy than the SL. And it just feels a little more comfortable to me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well there you go! That fork is quite expensive and is included in the package. I do believe they where some complaints about the earlier 36-forks so search this forum so you know what you're buying.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well I made the decision to get the Enduro S-Works, its a brand new 05. The store never sold it, its not a big bike here in Houston. But I did get it for $2500, so I think I did pretty good. Now if it will stop raining I can go ride it.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another one on the fence...

Well I guess i will chime my first one on this... I also was debating which one to buy, I have looked at enduros for a long time. After riding a 1996 GT aggressor for 11years I went to the Bicycle Chain in Chapel Hill. The only enduros in stock were the SL. And I made a mistake, I rode it and fell in love and had to have it, $2700 for a expert not a bad deal!!! I am still getting used to it after riding a hard tail for so long. Wow is this bike light ,and the quality of Specialized is hard to beat cant wait to get the suspension dialed in..

·
Brentster
309 Posts
That was at Bike Barn. I was wondering where that thing went a couple of days ago. That place is completely cleaned out of the premium bikes. I'm not sure what their deal is. There are no Treks about 3 Gary Fishers and about 3 Epics. They have about 30 Hard Rocks though. How did you "rent the SL" and what trails did you ride on? Its like the Everglade around here with all the rain. If it ever drys up this year, maybe I'll see you at Memorial Park.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts