Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I like bloody ankles
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would guess this question is specific to the frame model and possibly even the frame material. Right now I can't lower the seat quite low enough on my L SL Comp, and there's probably 5" or more of post in the frame when I extend to max ride height so I'd like to shorten it an inch or two.

So how much do we need in the frame to keep it safe ?

·
I like bloody ankles
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seatpost answered the question for me. It had a minimum insertion line, so I just measured that from the stock end and cut the same distance from my max ride height. Now the seat nearly bottoms out if I ever want it that low.

Thanks for the response.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna answer that you should be able to get the seat very close to the seat tube on the frame.....I have an L and that's how I have it. Probably 3" still in the frame at max ride height (i'm 184 cm and I have long legs...). The advantage of a (nearly) uninterupted seat tube design....

There is no guide hole in the seat tube on the SL (some other Spesh models have this feature).

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
this is a good question !-- and thank god the SL frame is the way it is ( like Iceman explained )

my goofy XL frame SL lets me slam the seat all the way down ( well , 3" up when slammed )-----when i am doing most of my riding and ---and when my leggs are shot and i have to climb more , ----i can run it 6 more inches up and almost get it where i can pedal-------its still about 2.5" lower than i would like it for maxium pedaling , but i only have 3" left in the frame which is cutting it close -----4" left in the frame is really safe ,

but with my long goofy body this is as good as it gets , --------this was a real importaint factor in me getting this bike , was the seat post range :eekster:

·
I like bloody ankles
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 5" left in the frame when the seats up at my max comfortable ride height. The fact that I can drop it all the way down to 1" inch from the frame (plenty low) seems to be a good combo. For reference I cut about 3.5" off the stock post to achieve this setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.