Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an Enduro SL Expert frame kit about two months ago, and I've never quite been able to get the front derailleur adjusted the way I like it. It shifts perfectly, but the chain rubs a lot on the front derailleur when in both the small and middle chainrings and when in the three or four largest cogs in the rear. Also, the front derailleur's inboard travel is extremely limited (even with the limit screw backed all the way out), which I'm sure has led to the chain rubbing when in the granny gear. Any ideas?

FWIW, I'm running Shimano XT M770 cranks (with the 2.5mm BB spacer installed on the driveside for 73mm BB shells) and a Shimano XT E-type front derailleur with the E-type bracket removed to make it compatible with the goofy Specialized chainstay mount.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Seems like just taking the spacer off the drive side and putting it on the non-drive side would slove your problem. Then you can check the chain line by putting the chain on the middle ring up front and on the 5th (middle) gear on the rear. The chain should be straight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PB Matrix said:
Seems like just taking the spacer off the drive side and putting it on the non-drive side would slove your problem. Then you can check the chain line by putting the chain on the middle ring up front and on the 5th (middle) gear on the rear. The chain should be straight.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. The chain rubs on the inside of the front derailleur cage, not the outside. Removing the driveside spacer would move the chainrings further inboard, which would make the chain rub even more on the front derailleur. Maybe I should try using another spacer on the drive side? I'm just afraid that, even if it remedies the rubbing, it might throw the whole chainline off.

·
Registered
746 Posts
dexterq20 said:
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. The chain rubs on the inside of the front derailleur cage, not the outside. Removing the driveside spacer would move the chainrings further inboard, which would make the chain rub even more on the front derailleur. Maybe I should try using another spacer on the drive side? I'm just afraid that, even if it remedies the rubbing, it might throw the whole chainline off.
photos please, without photos you can type all day and not get your point across!

·
Registered
84 Posts
the enduro runs on 51mm chainline, if i am not wrong, find a 0.7 or 1 mm spacer and put it on the driveside in addition to the 2.5mm spacer, this should solve your problem..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dvng said:
the enduro runs on 51mm chainline, if i am not wrong, find a 0.7 or 1 mm spacer and put it on the driveside in addition to the 2.5mm spacer, this should solve your problem..
I'll try it, but how do you figure? Don't virtually all bikes with 68mm or 73mm bb shells and 135mm rear spacing have a 51mm chainline? And if that's the case, shouldn't the current drive side spacer, installed per Shimano's instructions, be sufficient?

I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm just thinking out loud and wondering if this will really make a difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an XTR front derailleur and there is spare inbord travel...

I also have some drag in 2-3, 2-2, but i think it's not a problem other than the chain line in this bike.
The solution maybe is a thinner spacer (1,5mm in the drive side).
You can't go very low in spacer, because this changes the distance between cranks and chainstays...
It is also possible, to have a problem with crank fitting, if you change the spacer...
E-mail to Shimano and Specialized, before you try changes...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.