Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have to decide between the S-works carbon frame and the Pro M5. No matter the price, I'd go with the carbon frame but I'm worry about stiffness and durability.
Do I need to be more careful than with an alu frame? does it break easily?
I've never owned a carbon frame so I have no experience about it.
Is it just for xc racer or "loaded" people, or does it have a real meaning for a bike like Enduro?

Please help me because I have to take this decision in the next 2 days (I've just found 1 s-work in a store and it won't last long).

Another question: does anybody have information about components of the Comp model 2008? I've been told it's in its way to the stores but no-one here knows the specs.

thank you so much

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
goldenraptor said:
I've never heard of a high-end carbon frame anywhere breaking. Ibis and Santa Cruz and Specialized all have superb carbon. Ride it out, and if it breaks, use the warranty.
/firstquestion

As for the components on the new comp, do you think it even matters? If you can get the S-Works for a great price, go for it. I have been told it rides really well, and it won't have the semi-proprietary (for the time being, anyway) headtube of the 2008 S-Works. If you just want to buy a whole bike (and don't want to buy parts separately), then waiting would probably be a better idea so you can save some money. I can't imagine that the new Comp would be too different in parts spec from the "old" one.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Carbon SWorks

Get the carbon frame if you can. I was lucky enough to ride tha M5 before and was so happy to get the carbon. It is much stiffer and feels like a extra inch of travel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Superchicken00 said:
Hello,
I have to decide between the S-works carbon frame and the Pro M5. No matter the price, I'd go with the carbon frame but I'm worry about stiffness and durability.
Do I need to be more careful than with an alu frame? does it break easily?

hey superchicken
I went for the pro carbon and love it - the carbon is a bit heavier than the s-works but hardly any difference. i test rode an m5 stumpy expert and had chance to ride an m5 sl (not many test bikes about!!) before deciding and the difference in ride feel is noticeable (if not easily describable). As for careful, I have read a couple of instances already of the rubber fork buffers actually denting the downtubes during minor crashes :nono: but no issues with the carbon:thumbsup: . my last bike was a carbon scott genius and had some serious abuse for 18mths but still looked 'shop condition' when i part ex'd it. I also know the scott uk team mechanic and he swears by carbon frames.

hope this helps you decide and, like someones already said, if you do have a problem - claim on the warranty.

G

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you gentlemen!

I'm almost convinced about carbon now

One last question: in which conditions a carbon frame could break or be damaged and an alu one don't. I mean, I'm not talking about crashes because each one has its own story (luck, bad luck etc.), but if a stone hits the frame, as usually it happens in offroad, would it damage it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've had some spectacular crashes on rock without any issues. I don't have any concerns about the durability of this frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had a quick question...I am really thinking about buy the S-Works Enduro SL Carbon but wanted to ask the people here a quick question...i'm a aggressive rider and was wondering if it would hold up with everything I throw at it...

·
Registered
126 Posts
i could see the use of carbon making the bike lighter for better huckability if you will.

if you're just riding it either one will be fine, but if you're really goin' off some sweet jumps you'll get some benefit from the lighter carbon. especially if tricks are involved, its WAYY easier to do a high bunnyhop on a bike that is 26lbs compared to one that is 28lbs.

if money is no object neither will fail you, if damaged in a crash, the other frame would have been damaged too.

good luck, send pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.