Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Enduro SL carbon frames has been out for a couple years now. Have there been any durabiltity or otherwise issues with any of their owners out there?

Specifically frame failure, cracks etc. Impact resistance (rocks bouncing off of down tube, or other tubes). Crashes. etc. Anything?

Thanks in advance for your time!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I got my Enduro Carbon Pro S.L. at the start of 2007 ( first U.K. batch), it was my first carbon frame , lovely bike - metalic blue fogging at the joints with the carbon weave showing through on the tubes, Just one look at the collosal size of the carbon box section on the down tube tells you pretty much everything you need to know about this bike ...."ITS ROCK SOLID "....the underside of the downtube has a stick on protective layer that protects against stone hits, and to be honest you do hear a few pebbles hitting the frame when riding over loose gravelly stuff at speed - but wierdly on the carbon its a resounding solid knock, as opposed to the metalic ping that I was used to on my aluminium framed bike.
I always spend one day per month giving my bike the works, I clean it polish it lubricate it and do all those niggly little jobs that need sorting out , and whilst cleaning it I notice all the dings and scratches that Ive picked up - and Yes carbon frames attract their fair share of marks , but no more or less than an ally frame would , when I,m cleaning it I use MUCK-OFF and I think this product tends to dull the laquer slightly, and I have to get really busy with the polish if I want that new bike shine .
For more than a year I rode it over hill and down dale it performed perfectly huge ground clearance B.B. height is great for rutted single track I can still pedal while my mates scott hardtail cant but where this frame is at its best is thrashing round a trail centre , it just laps up the man made stuff .
I had No problems at all with it BUT THEN when my L.B.S. were giving it a service they phoned to say they,d found a problem with the frame !!!! The upper stanctions on the E 150 fork had come into contact with the frame and cracked the laquer at the point were the top - down and fork tubes meet ,

this was because the protective rubber buffers were not up to their job and had moved out of place allowing contact between frame and fork. Note this had only cracked the paint - the carbon hadn`t de-laminated or split or lifted etc, but could all S.L. owners make sure their buffers are fixed solid in their correct place and dont vibrate loose or move when bike is ridden over the rough stuff. This whole episode was resolved ammicably by the brilliant - good looking - helpfull - wonderfull - amazing - big balled - righteous - all round cool dudes at SPECIALIZED U.K.
And I now have a Bronze carbon frame which to my mind isnt as nice as the blue but is shiney as f*ck.

Am I happy???? well........Spesh Enduro - Spesh shoes - Spesh helmet - Big hit for mad days - Epic "S" wks lined up for my next bike.
Specialized customer care gets my customer loyalty every time.Well done dave and the boys.
P.S. I now have full lizard skins on the upper stanctions as well as the orig buffers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.