Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost done going through my SL after a year of riding and servicing all the rear pivot bearings with a good greasing and all I can say is that if you own one of these bikes and haven't done it, you better put it on you calendar for this winter. My bike has one year on it, never hose washed, and I am finding no grease in any of the bearings. The bearings on the large swing link pivot have been the worst so far and took a lot of work to get them to even spin freely. This isn't hard but does take some time as I am putting new grease in the bearings and wiping it out several times trying to get any crud out. If I had realized the bearings came out of the factory like this, I would have done all this before ever riding it. Going to be time well spent with results being a smooth ride and a significant savings from not having to replace all the bearings in 18 months. Is it just as easy to put some grease in the front hub bearings? Think I will go at that next.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
The joys of maintenence, I wish I had that rear bearing puller that shops have, then the only thing I couldnt do on bikes are wheelbuilding.
There's no bike I have ever had that hasnt required bearing service, (I never pressure wash the bike either) I had a Heckler recently that had poor bearings that disintegrated and stuck inside the frame, I did buy SKF bearings from a bearing supplier, and have better quality, but for the price from Specialized seems reasonable, though I dont know what make they are. My GF's brother works for Rolls Royce and I might just get him to source the bearings.....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Warranty is voided if you break the frame later and then mention that you replaced the bearings on your own.

Enduro Bearings sells a neat little puller that will work on the suspension pivot bearings well. Plus Enduro bearings is the only place I could find the larger pivot bearings in the Max style of cartridge bearings (more balls without retainers) And if you order from Enduro get some of that “Super Web Grease” as well.
But, any local bearing selling place in your home town should have the other bearings in stock. Just ask, get the ones made in Japan or Germany if you can, name brand doesn’t matter as much as where they were made. China and Taiwan brand name bearings will not be a high quality bearings in that small of a size.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.