Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok y’all, I am trying to make a definite list of aftermarket front hubs that can be easily modified to accept the 25mm through axel of the E150 Specialized front fork because they use the common 6805 bearings. 6805 bearings are 25mm ID x 37mm OD x 7mm W.

Here is the list that I know now:

Spinergy Version 4 Front hubs.

Azonic Outlaw Wheel Set 20mm Front Hubs

Industry 9 E-150 specific front hubs

A White Industries 20mm Front hub

Mavic 20mm Front Hubs

Ringle 20mm Front Hubs

If anyone knows of more front hubs, post them here.
If anyone has converted one of these hubs to a E-150 Fork post pictures here.
If anyone has tried and failed to convert one of the hubs listed above, please post here.

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
PB Matrix said:
Ok y’all, I am trying to make a definite list of aftermarket front hubs that can be easily modified to accept the 25mm through axel of the E150 Specialized front fork because they use the common 6805 bearings. 6805 bearings are 25mm ID x 37mm OD x 7mm W.

Here is the list that I know now:

Spinergy Version 4 Front hubs.

Azonic Outlaw Wheel Set 20mm Front Hubs

Industry 9 E-150 specific front hubs

A White Industries 20mm Front hub

Mavic 20mm Front Hubs

Ringle 20mm Front Hubs

If anyone knows of more front hubs, post them here.
If anyone has converted one of these hubs to a E-150 Fork post pictures here.
If anyone has tried and failed to convert one of the hubs listed above, please post here.

Thanks all!!!
This is great info as I am currently contemplating to upgrade to Azonic Outlaw Wheel Set!!! Thanks!

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
I am guessing the tricky part will be the spacers (or whatever you call the 2 aluminium tubes that fit on either side of the hub itself, to hold it in its correct position on the axle). Fitting the new bearings should be straightforward most of the time (to take the hubs you have listed here from 20 to 25mm for example) - but what to do about the spacers? Do you have them especially made?

·
Wil109
213 Posts
Is there a DT Swisss hub 25mm axle that you can get on Roval wheels? Wonder if you can buy it on its own, it has got to be a good one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I9 25mm

Front and rear I9 specific 25mm, aluminum direct pull threaded spokes on EX5.1's. I giggle like a school girl everytime I ride on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi!
Has Any Of You Guys Converted A Hope Pro 2 To Fit A 25mm Axle For The Enduro?
Why Did Specialized Design The E150 To Take A 25mm Axle When They Knew 20mm Is The Norm?
Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HODGY said:
Hi!
Has Any Of You Guys Converted A Hope Pro 2 To Fit A 25mm Axle For The Enduro?
Why Did Specialized Design The E150 To Take A 25mm Axle When They Knew 20mm Is The Norm?
Any Thoughts?
Beacause they could!!!

Actually, 25mm is the biggest diameter axel that can be placed inside a 6 bolt disc hub. The hub's 6805 bearings have a 25mm ID, so the axel runs directly on the bearings instead of an additional sleeve or bushing. Thus making the entire unit lighter, but stronger and stiffer than a 20mm axel.

The stiffness of the E-150 fork has ruined me, I can't even think of riding any flexy Fox Single Crown forked QR equipped bikes anymore. Maybe the 15mm axel version will be OK.

·
Registered
1 Posts
has anyone converted the Azonic Outlaws? If so could you help a less then experienced person accomplish this! Pics and a step by step would be sweet!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another possible alternate:

DT Swiss 340 20mm Hub, But you would have to knock out the 6904 (20mmID x 37mmOD x 9mm Wide) bearings and put in 6805 bearings (25x37x7) and adjust your spacer lenght from there.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Check it out!! DT Swiss 340 20mm Hub converted to 25mm with NO Machine work!!

Items needed:

2 each 6805 bearings,
2 each 1 mm thick 25mm ID 27mm OD washers (Had to make this size)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Not possible on the el cheapo GoPro Camera I used for these shots. Better photos later once I get my camera back from the bum who borrowed it.

·
well mannered lout
3,100 Posts
Throwing it out there again... anyone convert the Azonics yet? Mine are on the way, and I don't want to reinvent the ..well, you know.

·
Registered
203 Posts
my brother has the outlaw wheelset, and i tried to figure out how to disassemble the hub without any luck.

if you figure it out, please let us know because i'd really like to get a set of these.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You need to pry the 20mm spacers off the hub. Place a stout stick into the spacer, I used a toilet brush handle, and gently pry it up, then down, then side to side, till the spacer cup "pops" off the hub. It doesn't feel right the first time you do it, but it gets better each time you do.

·
well mannered lout
3,100 Posts
PB Matrix said:
Place a stout stick into the... and gently ... it up, then down, then side to side, till the... "pops" off the ... It doesn't feel right the first time you do it, but it gets better each time you do.
PB, you gotta get out of the shop and go on some dates.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 162 Posts