Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
We recommend 50 psi +/- 5psi be used in the damper cartridge. Several months ago an article was misread and people greatly increased the pressure in the damper cartidge. This is not advised as it takes away small bump suppleness. The Air Spring cartridge should be used to control bottom out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just service my E150 this weekend. From the factory my spike valve was set well above 50 psi, more like 70. Now that I reset it (52psi), its a night and day difference. Small bump sensitivity has greatly improved.

It also had no fork oil in it at all, although it had plenty of grease in it. Once I put 20CC in each leg I was able to lower spring pressure and still have good bottom resistance. This is on an 08, with no suspension issues after 250 miles of WNC singletrack.

John

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FoesFlyer said:
Just service my E150 this weekend. From the factory my spike valve was set well above 50 psi, more like 70. Now that I reset it (52psi), its a night and day difference. Small bump sensitivity has greatly improved.

It also had no fork oil in it at all, although it had plenty of grease in it. Once I put 20CC in each leg I was able to lower spring pressure and still have good bottom resistance. This is on an 08, with no suspension issues after 250 miles of WNC singletrack.

John
Thanks. How would I go about figuring out my forks oil level and then adding oil? Also, what type of fork oil?

·
Registered
790 Posts
A basic lower leg service guide can be found on page 11 of the post "If you have Specialized brand forks this may interest you..." It is recommended a Specilized Dealer or Service center perform this maintenance service.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I also just recently checked my Spike valve pressure and found it to be nearly 80psi. After dropping it down to 50 my small bump compliance was greatly improved. I'm glad I looked into that. I plan on doing a full service to mine prior to my CO trip in August just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
18 Posts
LncNuvue said:
Thanks. How would I go about figuring out my forks oil level and then adding oil? Also, what type of fork oil?
Best way to check is remove bolts from the lowers and drain any fork oil that may be there. Then turn bike upside down, use a syringe and squirt 20-25cc/ml per side. I used 7.5 weight, but 10 is recommended. Remember the E150 is not an open bath design, so the oil is not there for damping, but will help in bottoming performance and keep inner parts lubricated in addition to grease. I would just do full service, as recommended by Speci....

Air or nitrogen, either is fine, nitrogen just stays more consistent pressure wise and has less inherent moisture.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmm. I have an 08 enduro comp. Thanks to the advice here I just checked my spike valve ......70 lbs. from the factory! I just adjusted it to 55 lbs. I'll ride it and report back.

I love the way the fork works in the mid to big bumps but I always thought that the fork should be more supple in the small stuff. Hopefully this will help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As I expected , after reducing the spike valve to 55lbs. the fork is much more supple in the small bumps. Now I can increase the preload chamber to it's recommended psi. (I had decreased it before to try and make the fork more supple).

The fork feels great now. I wonder why so many spike valves come from the factory with too much air pressure???

·
Registered
540 Posts
My E150 has weak rebound and I have to fill it like 15 PSI over what is recommended for my weight to keep it from bottoming really easily and have tolerable, but still too weak rebound. Its still really supple, but uses a lot of travel just hopping off a curb. I also really have to exaggerate my body to loft the front tire up over a curb. Would the spike valve being under-pressured cause this? or maybe....not enough oil?

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
chameleoneel said:
My E150 has weak rebound and I have to fill it like 15 PSI over what is recommended for my weight to keep it from bottoming really easily and have tolerable, but still too weak rebound. Its still really supple, but uses a lot of travel just hopping off a curb. I also really have to exaggerate my body to loft the front tire up over a curb. Would the spike valve being under-pressured cause this? or maybe....not enough oil?
Sounds like it could be. Just pop a shock pump on there and give it a try. See how it rides with a bit more pressure in the spike valve. If that doesn't solve the problem you can just back it down again to where it was anyway, no biggie.

Otherwise, soulds like you need a bit more pressure in the main spring, although you say you are running 15 PSI over the recommended setting for your weight. BTW, that is supposed to be your weight with gear....

·
Registered
18 Posts
chameleoneel said:
Your post is confusing, so lets level set our terms here. Rebound damping is the resistance to extension of fork after impact. Compression damping is resistance to just that, the fork compressing during impact. What you describe above sounds like lack of compression damping in first instance and then in latter part of your post your talking about rebound damping (lofting front tire). First I would ensure that fork is properly service. Each leg should have 20CC of fork oil in outers, all the internals should have nice coating of slick honey or equivalent, and check and set spike valve to 55 +/- 5 psi. Then set sag using weight chart as guide for main airspring. I use Specialized recommended settings for rebound and compression settings found here. From there I adjust to my personal preference based on type of terrain I will be riding that day.

·
Registered
540 Posts
FoesFlyer said:
Your post is confusing, so lets level set our terms here. Rebound damping is the resistance to extension of fork after impact. Compression damping is resistance to just that, the fork compressing during impact. What you describe above sounds like lack of compression damping in first instance and then in latter part of your post your talking about rebound damping (lofting front tire). First I would ensure that fork is properly service. Each leg should have 20CC of fork oil in outers, all the internals should have nice coating of slick honey or equivalent, and check and set spike valve to 55 +/- 5 psi. Then set sag using weight chart as guide for main airspring. I use Specialized recommended settings for rebound and compression settings found here. From there I adjust to my personal preference based on type of terrain I will be riding that day.
Ok, sorry, I'll make it clear.

The compression damping is too linear. My fork is very supple but never really ramps up, so it blows through travel really easily and dives a lot while braking. I've finally started noticing some of the responses here though and may have a solution with the oil trick ((Thanks Speci- Suspension Tech and Kelstr). I'm gonna try it this weekend.

Also, the front end of the bike takes some exaggerated body english to loft even just up onto a curb. Its not completely terrible, but I do have to think about it. I feel that the kick back is not strong enough. I attribute this to rebound. It is set on full fast. It seems that filling the main air spring a bit more helps with this, but I don't want to fill it too much because I might ruin the suppleness. This may also be worsened by the fact that the bike never really ramps up, so there is no real predictability of when its going start kicking back. Yeah, I think I nailed it there, sucks for jumping :(

I think I'm gonna add 3cc's of oil to the air spring and see how that goes. I'll report back. Although, heheh I should probably do the 08 upgrade first....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.