Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently built up a "NOS" enduro frame and have been disappointed with the rear shock. It dried out and leaks from sitting for 9 years, plus has terrible pedal bob. I ride XC with no drops exceeding 2.5ft. Long climbs, long descents.

The stock shock is a 7.625x1.875 with rl plus the "itch switch" (cuts stroke to 1.625).

I am thinking ill replace it with a rp2/3/23 but I have a few concens:

1. what length? 7.625 is custom and not available, so I will get a 7.5 or 7.875, I think either will work.
2. shock spacers, are all fox the same? can I use my stock spacers?
3. high volume or normal? If given the choice, what would be better for me? I only weigh 125 lbs, and Ive sorta heard high volume might help me make use of more travel. Is the leverage ratio on horst link progressive? would this make a high volume shock blow through travel?
4. the stock stroke is only 1.875in. I think 2 inch stroke would be ok, but would 2.25in stroke make the suspension too wonky? (alot of 7.825 shocks have 2.25in stroke, this would make the 5.2in travel enduro have 6 in travel, and I am running a 115mm fork).

what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one? no thoughts?

oh well- i found a good deal on a 7.5x2 rp23 w/ standard air sleeve, so I guess most of my questions are moot anyway.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I fitted a 7.875 shock to my brothers 02 enduro with a 130mm fork at the same time. It worked out great as it raised the bottom bracket slightly. The 7.5" will work also as you can flip your link to raise the back if needed.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Yup, most people switched to 7.5 X 2.0 shocks, works well.

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
orangeskill said:
Hello,

I recently built up a "NOS" enduro frame and have been disappointed with the rear shock. It dried out and leaks from sitting for 9 years, plus has terrible pedal bob. I ride XC with no drops exceeding 2.5ft. Long climbs, long descents.

The stock shock is a 7.625x1.875 with rl plus the "itch switch" (cuts stroke to 1.625).

I am thinking ill replace it with a rp2/3/23 but I have a few concens:

1. what length? 7.625 is custom and not available, so I will get a 7.5 or 7.875, I think either will work.
2. shock spacers, are all fox the same? can I use my stock spacers?
3. high volume or normal? If given the choice, what would be better for me? I only weigh 125 lbs, and Ive sorta heard high volume might help me make use of more travel. Is the leverage ratio on horst link progressive? would this make a high volume shock blow through travel?
4. the stock stroke is only 1.875in. I think 2 inch stroke would be ok, but would 2.25in stroke make the suspension too wonky? (alot of 7.825 shocks have 2.25in stroke, this would make the 5.2in travel enduro have 6 in travel, and I am running a 115mm fork).

what do you think?
I still have a duplicate of your bike in my quiver, even the same color. I installed an older AVA sleeve on the stock shock, much plusher for my 155 lb. weight. That way I still get the shorter travel & a lockout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts