Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at changing over from 4-piston XT discs, and have been researching the Hayes HFX9 or Juicy 7's. Just wanted to get your input on how they perform on the Enduro. All three brakes have really good reviews (Shimano 4-piston, Hayes HFX9 and Juicy), but considering I am fairly heavy (210+) and ride aggressively on the trail, just wanted to see what others are using and if they are happy.

Also, are you using the 160mm rotor or the larger 185mm?

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
you're probably better off sticking with those shimano 4-pots... those are some real good brakes....

I'm taking off my HFX9's and putting on Hope Mono M4s... they're pricey though...

HFX9s are crap btw... my pistons and stuff, and the levers never stay adjusted, and i hear they're a total pain to bleed..

The juicy 7 is a brakeset I really wanted, but I've heard a lot of bad stuff about them... quality control issues, and also some issues with the caliper hitting the spokes on marzocchi forks (which i have).

Is there anything wrong with the shimano brakes?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
stay...

Absolutely stay with XTs. I have a set of Grimeca (=shimano, but with DOT, not mineral) and it's absolutely amazing. Switched to them after HFX9 which is a piece of sh!t (sorry). If you're not getting enough power, try different pad compound.

HFX 9: loose, cheap feeling lever which is always loose, no modulation (stupid grab), leaks from the lever and caliper... in other words I haven't found any positive aspects in this brake and I had 3 sets of these.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
endurowanker said:
you're probably better off sticking with those shimano 4-pots... those are some real good brakes....

I'm taking off my HFX9's and putting on Hope Mono M4s... they're pricey though...

HFX9s are crap btw... my pistons and stuff, and the levers never stay adjusted, and i hear they're a total pain to bleed..

The juicy 7 is a brakeset I really wanted, but I've heard a lot of bad stuff about them... quality control issues, and also some issues with the caliper hitting the spokes on marzocchi forks (which i have).

Is there anything wrong with the shimano brakes?
Absolutely nothing wrong with the XT's, they have been great. I was able to sell some other parts I had and had some upgrade cash. ;-D Just wanted to see if there was a better set of brakes to spend my money on.

Based on the input, I will stick to my XT's and buy some new pads and hoses.

·
Registered
230 Posts
its unanimous

Stick with the XT's. Been using mine since they first came out on '02 and has been on 3 different bikes, and 2 different levers: first the stocks and now on dual-controls. better than the XTR's, better than the Avids and waaaayyyy better than the Hayes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts