Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

How are the Sun rims on the Enduro Expert? I notice they come with Deore rear hubs...a major turnoff on a 3500 retail bike.

Has anyone upgraded to Crossmax XL wheels? If so, does it make the bike much more XC friendly?

Also, do the stock wheels allow you to run tubeless?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Deore rear hub is a piece ****, but I will ride with the stock Enduro wheels until they break down, and then replace the wheels with better ones. Many Enduro owners have sold their wheels as soon as they got their bikes. The Specialized Stout front hub is smoothly rolling and durable piece of kit and have good seals to prevent any dirt to come in, at least what I've found on older Specialized Stout front hubs. I think that the rims are at least durable than the Sun Singletrack rims in my opinion, but the time will tell how durable they really are?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
soulfly_NYC said:
Hi,

How are the Sun rims on the Enduro Expert? I notice they come with Deore rear hubs...a major turnoff on a 3500 retail bike.

Has anyone upgraded to Crossmax XL wheels? If so, does it make the bike much more XC friendly?

Also, do the stock wheels allow you to run tubeless?

Thanks
I am satisfied with the wheels on the Enduro, the hub I may replace sometime soon. I rode this bike very hard and fast through the really rough stuff on Porcupine Rim in Moab this weekend and I weigh 210 lbs. No sign of any probs with the wheels, pinch-flatting was another problem. Will be converting to tubeless soon.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi,
I use Mavic XL/ Enduro disc combo with Maxxis Ignitor tubless. They roll fast. I had Enduro pro (stock) tyres with tubes on exact set of wheels and they felt faster and lighter, too. I have no experience with stock wheels because I changed them after a couple of rides. They seem OK to me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I slapped some Deemax on my Enduro and they are great. UST and the same weight as stock but much stronger. As you said, alternatively Crossmax XL's could be used at a strength penalty but loss of weight. There is also a new Mavic wheel coming out called Deetraks that are like Deemax but a few hundred dollars less at about ~$425. They are not UST though.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Or just get some nice Mavic tubless rims and build them up. Then you don't need special spokes etc....

I'm sure the Crossmax et al. are great.. but there's a downside to proprietary parts..

·
Registered
256 Posts
There are upsides and downsides to pre-built proprietary wheels. The downside as you said is that they use special spokes etc. The upside is you don't have to build them, they come assembled and usually include the special tools needed to service them. When I worked at a shop I built all my own wheels but now that I no longer am in the bike business I like to buy pre-built wheels for the sake of simplicity. To each his own I guess...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.