Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am starting to get back into mountain biking recently and looking for a bike to suit my needs. I had a enduro comp a few years ago( didn't get to ride it much) that got stolen so back in search of a new bike. I am located in vermont and more interested in single track/all mountain trails, nothing to crazy out here but hopefully moving to colorado soon . I can get 20% off specialized bikes but I wouldn't be oppose to other company's. I don't know a lot about mountain biking, but I've heard good things about Bronson and the newer enduro comp. need something with the ability to climb but with the ability to have a fun aggressive ride down. I am about 6"4 200lbs

thanks !

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
id get the Bronson. people have been having problems with the brakes on the Spesh bikes and noises in the bottom brackets and swingarms

plus the Bronson just slays!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the base price for the alloy version of the Bronson? I've been having trouble finding info on the alloy version especially with pricing ..

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
haven't heard about that spesh problem. i have 3 friends on 3-5mo old cambers and enduro who ride 'em pretty hard and zero problems so far. both bikes rock.
SCs platform sits higher with vpp so edge there on climbing and since you've had an enduro you know it'll slay downward

·
Team 9.8
93 Posts
I like both bikes but I would have to get the enduro. The suspension works well in the right spots for me, and the fact you have the bigger wheels makes it much easier to roll over things, and it really doesn't feel like a 29er at all.

Now on the other hand, if you want to play around, jump, session things, etc, I would go for the bronson. It really depends on your riding style, but the traction of a 29er is going to be great for hauling down trails, at the same time if you want to roost corners, get sideways, and play around in the air, the bronson will likely be more nimble for those kind of things.

Either way you really can't go wrong with either one, I'd test them out, the FSR suspension is quite different than the VP on the santa cruz

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Bronson for me. The Enduro is the only Speshy bike I'd even consider getting, but I'd take the Bronson over it any day. In case people are wondering, i've been able to ride both, on dirt, on one trail that had a bit of everything on it. Full disclosure: the Bronson was an alloy frame. They both rode well, and had good specs on them. The main reason is the rear end of the bikes. They both will climb pretty equally. The suspension on the way down is what I see as the largest differentiation between them.

Specialized's recent bikes seem to have a nice feel through the first half of the rear end's travel, but it REALLY ramps up after that. My brother's Camber Evo is that way too. It ramps up in stiffness so much that it is hard to get it to use all of the travel, even on big hits (and I'm a big guy at 6'3" 245). This progressive rate makes it really harsh feeling on bigger square-edge hits. To combat that, I have to leave the suspension really soft, and it starts to wallow a bit in the early and mid stroke when pedaling and on the smoother parts of descents.

The Bronson, to me, feels like it is much more linear throughout its stroke. It doesn't have a region where it starts to stiffen up really quickly. It makes it easier to use all the travel when needed, which you WILL need in Colorado :) It has no super harsh feel toward the end of the stroke ,and is more predictable feeling to me. I never had to wonder as i approached a hard hit or drop, 'is this one going to stay in the softer region, or do I need to brace for the harsher, stiffer region?'. The Bronson just felt consistent. It feels really burly yet nimble. That, and Santa Cruz is an awesome company to deal with. Speshy has had some... let's call them 'public relations issues' recently. Others may call it outright corporate bullying. I don't want to support that, and even if it meant having to pay a few hundred more, I'd do it. But since the Bronson performs much more to my liking, it's well worth it. The Bronson is an easy choice for me.

Oh, and if the Enduro has the new Formula C1 cartridge brakes or whatever they are called, you will be replacing them in a few rides. Horrendous brakes. One pull, and you barely have to touch the lever and they lock. Next pull, they go nearly to the bar before even starting to grab. The shop where my brother got his bike has been returning them in mass quantities from upset customers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has anyone had experience with diamondback missionpro?? I can get a brand new 2014 for around 3,000 through a pro deal. Would it be worth getting a diamondback since I can get 50-60%off or stick with an enduro comp for Bronson?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Has anyone had experience with diamondback missionpro?? I can get a brand new 2014 for around 3,000 through a pro deal. Would it be worth getting a diamondback since I can get 50-60%off or stick with an enduro comp for Bronson?
not to say that Diamondback is crap (they are fine bikes for their target buyer), but your other options are so much better. Lighter, stronger, and better suspension designs. There's a reason Diamondbacks are cheaper. Things like good pivot bearings, tight machining tolerances, etc cost a lot of money, and that is where companies like Diamondback fall behind. If it were my choice and my budget was a bit limiting, I would wait and save up a bit more so I could get the bike I really wanted. I'd suggest not looking for the best discount you can get. If you cheap out initially, you'll usually spend a lot more money in the next year or two trying to upgrade things like wheels/hubs, brakes, etc. Get a bike that already has what you want on it. It's cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 2014 Enduro Comp 26" and love the bike. Its fast, climbs well and descends like crazy. I am not a big fan of VPP, and feel more comfortable on the FSR. Either bike will be nice, but if I had to do it over again I would by the enduro.

·
Registered
570 Posts
not to say that Diamondback is crap (they are fine bikes for their target buyer), but your other options are so much better. Lighter, stronger, and better suspension designs. There's a reason Diamondbacks are cheaper. Things like good pivot bearings, tight machining tolerances, etc cost a lot of money, and that is where companies like Diamondback fall behind. If it were my choice and my budget was a bit limiting, I would wait and save up a bit more so I could get the bike I really wanted. I'd suggest not looking for the best discount you can get. If you cheap out initially, you'll usually spend a lot more money in the next year or two trying to upgrade things like wheels/hubs, brakes, etc. Get a bike that already has what you want on it. It's cheaper in the long run.
Evidence for any of this for a 3k+ price point DB?

I'm willing to take a bet you have not ridden a DB. Quality is just as good as anything else out there, weight I cant comment on the two (nor do I care), "better suspension design" - they are both single pivots (Yes, Spec is horst and DB is not, difference is negligible). The thing is, if you happen to hate your stock enduro fox rear shock or it blows up, you can replace the mission rear shock with ANY 8.5x2.5" air shock with the reservoir on the canister end, not the stanchion end. With specialized, you are stuck with their proprietary fox shock (215.9mm x 57.2mm = 8.5x2.25, a VERY uncommon rear shock size). Personally, fox air shocks leave much to be desired.

I have owned a mission for 2 years and ridden an enduro extensively. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a diamondback in terms of quality and performance. I am currently on a Knolly Chilcotin (high quality boutique frame) and would have no problem riding the mission or bronson, personally, I cant stand special-ed for their ethics as well as their proprietary nonsense.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the 2014 Enduro Comp 29er. I love the bike and only had 1 issue and that was with the rear brake. I did replace the C1 brakes as soon as I got it with XT brakes as I did not like the feel of the C1 brakes in addition to the rear brake leaking.

I do not have experience with the other bike so I will no comment as to the difference in the 2; but I can say I have truly enjoyed my comp since I purchased last fall.

Regarding buying from a large company like specialized and them having possible ethics issue; it doesn't bother me as every company no matter the size has dirty laundry it just a matter of how it impacts you and me.

I like specialized due to them having support in every city no matter where I go so if I need a part chances are I will find it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts