Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Enduro Expert Carbon 29er on the way. It's got Specialized's "Taco Blade" with a specially-designed SRAM front derailleur. Specialized and Shimano agree that that's the only derailleur that will work on that frame. But I've already got a XT Dyna-Sys group I'd like to move over onto the new frame. It seems like a SRAM front shifter and a double crank would work, but is there a solution that would allow me to use a triple?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Well, once you get to the cogs/crankset, it has usually been understood that it matters not what brand you have. I think ring spacing seems to be common between the makers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think this thread answers my curiosity. I’m a Shimano fan for many years and have not seen a set-up with XTR or XT drivetrain on a 2014 Specialized Enduro 29 model.

So if I understand the feedback the experts at Specialized and Shimano are saying the custom SRAM front derailleur is the only option you have on the E29.

I was itching to convert over to XT build (2 x 10). I don’t see the value to have the SRAM derailleur with XT components or I would think it would be most logical to convert over to XT for all components to be most efficient.

Maybe I'm incorrect and SRAM front derailleur will be fine and have no hang-ups with the Shimano XT crankset/chainring?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The SRAM front der is the only one that will work on the E29. It is a completely new design. That said, a Shimano shifter and crank will function perfectly well with said front der.

There is vertical adjustment for the front der on the taco blade. It should cover the range of typical All Mountain 2X chainring combos. I'm not sure about a triple. I don't think the der is large enough. It looks like the typical smaller cage sized 2X specific front ders. And I'm not certain there's enough height adjustment on the taco.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@ titusquasi - Thanks for the feedback and I sort of figured the FD(front derailleur) was custom as it looks quite unique.

Yeah I guess the shimano components will work OK but I just put on XT brakes and was hoping to go 2x10 with the iSpec set-up using Shimano shifters. Not an option I will consider as the FD will have to be SRAM (prefer to keep the components consistent).

So it will be interesting to see when Shimano releases a 1x11 for the XT line. Not sure if they will release sometime next year and what the cost may be. I don't want to justify $1k yet on the X01 set-up however I demoed an E29 S-Works with the XX1 components and it worked seamless.

Not to say the drivetrain components on the E29 have to be removed immediately but I definitely like the Shimano shifting at a reasonable cost from my past experience.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Billy

Wow, that is quite interesting. Thanks for the tidbit! I think you are correct as maybe that is a complete shimano drivetrain system. I need to explore more and should Shimano release the XT 1x11 next year I might take a chill pill. If not it's good knowing it might be a possibility should I get antsy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts