Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm in the same situation although I'd be going for a 30t chainring. It's very hard to get but i know that the sram xx1 spider is available somewhere. There are equivalent ones from North Shore Billet too. Then you could mount an xx1 28t chainring.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I agree. If you have the SRAM cranks with a removable spider, ditch the spider and go with a direct mount ring. Here is a thread I just posted that may be helpful. On the Wolf Tooth links is a picture to tell you how to know if you have a short spindle or long spindle PF30 crankset. After you know that you can choose the proper ring. In my case I have a short spindle X9 crank but I'm using a GXP/long spindle 28t ring to achieve a perfectly centered chainline. In this combo on the E29, 28t is the largest I can go. Again, I am using the "wrong" ring for my crank but it works in my instance to provide an ideal chainline.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Looking at the pics of the Expert it appears that Specialized may be using a 104 bcd spider on the cranks to mount the 32t ring. By doing this and with the outward spacing of the 142+ rear hub I'm guessing the stock chainline is pretty close to centered. Another guess, I bet it is a bit outboard of centered, if anything.

If that spider is 104 bcd you could install a 30t ring from Race Face, Wolf Tooth, etc. With the built in offset in these rings I bet the chainline is pretty close to centered. Also, in this configuration the offset 30t may be pretty close to the chainstays...maybe too close? The bigger the ring, the farther outboard your chainline will need to be from center.

If anyone has any details on the spider from the stock Expert crankset, please let us know. It could be another option for aftermarket chainline adjustment if it is just one of SRAM's stock spiders. If it was custom for Specialized then...not so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.