Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was almost ordering a Enduro 29 expert when came out the new Nomad 650b to put bees in my mind!!I'm really convinced that 29r are the bike to ride my local whole rocky gardens tracks slow speed but when you compare the same price bike the new Nomad is a world better spec bike;
Enduro expert come with regular 160 PIKE otherwise Nomad comes with RCT3 PIKE .
Enduro expert rear shock is RP23 and Nomad comes with new Monarch plus debonair
Enduro comes with that specialized 3 stage setpost I much prefer the Reverb infite regulation comes in Nomad
At least but not the last thing Enduro expert frame weight is 7 pounds 8 onces and Nomad is 6,2 pounds

·
Registered
203 Posts
Most important here is the geo. The reach, stack, HTA, CS length, and bb height is what sold me on my XL E29. Cockpit I tend to replace anyway, and I love the CCDBA-CS so in my case the rear shock didn't matter. I always move to XT breaks eventually so...

I think you get my point. ;)

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
I'm a SC fan/current Nomad Mk2 owner and I would never buy a Big Satan....but the E29 is a better balanced bike for true AM riding.

The Nomad MK3 will be great coming down, but won't be much fun going up. Unless you start messing with angle set headsets and other hacks to steepen the Nomad a bit.

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
I'm a SC fan/current Nomad Mk2 owner and I would never buy a Big Satan....but the E29 is a better balanced bike for true AM riding.

The Nomad MK3 will be great coming down, but won't be much fun going up. Unless you start messing with angle set headsets and other hacks to steepen the Nomad a bit.
I'd hang on and see if Specialized bring out and Enduro 650b like they just did with the Stumpjumper. The Mk3 Nomad is a pretty downhill oriented geometry, not what I'd call a true all-rounder, the SC Bronson fits this bill much better.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
very little rolling performance difference between 650 and 29er, so don't fall for opinions that say that they are worlds apart. The math doesn't lie (yes, I've done it). That being said, I'd go for the Nomad for two reasons: 1) Santa Cruz is a far more ethical company (Specialized is very dirty) and 2) the higher component spec. You can have the sickest carbon frame ever, and it means nothing if you have a crappy set of brakes, a lower-end derailleur ghost shifting all over the place, etc. Those are the things that really matter to me when I'm out on a ride.

And about the slacker angles of the Nomad, I say don't worry. I ride a bike that is far slacker than the Nomad (Canfield One), and it pedals absolutely fine up even super steep Moab sandstone. The geometry is just fine on the way up, and allows for much better performance on the way down. The Nomad will climb just fine.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Usually I am slow to bond with a bike, but after a few days on my Enduro 29 and having ridden all the previous versions of Nomads, it would be a no-brainer for me. You would have to give me the Nomad for free, and it would be a sweet bike, if the Enduro 29, WFO, Lunchbox, and Trailfox didn't exist ;)

IMO - 27.5 is a bad joke, unless you are too small to fit a 29er, or financially restricted from buying stiff wheels, in those cases, have at it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
^^ I know you'd be responding to this one James! Even though I admit my dislike of Specialized as a company, your new bike is incredibly drool worthy. You're definitely right about the stiff wheels though. If you go 29er, you've got to get super good wheels that won't deflect. I'd still take the Nomad though, personally. The new one looks fair bit like my bike in terms of geometry.

·
Well Biked
1,958 Posts
I hear you on the parts spec. For the E29 Expert I can't understand not including a better shock for such a bruiser Enduro bike? At least they should offer an upgrade option. I'm not keen on their seat post either. I need a 150 travel post and I don't think they even make that.

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
Spec does make a 150 post. I really like the newest generation post, but you have to spend 6k on the high end enduro to get a decent build kit.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

·
Well Biked
1,958 Posts
Thanks, good to know. I thought e Expert was the carbon frame second down from the S-Works.

It would be nice if they start using the Guide Brakes going forward in 2014.

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
Thanks, good to know. I thought e Expert was the carbon frame second down from the S-Works.

It would be nice if they start using the Guide Brakes going forward in 2014.
It is. The expert is about 6k, and has a nice spec sheet. The 3k comp is aluminum, and most parts are garbage to anyone who is more than a casual rider.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
What kept me from the expert was that it comes with a standard (non carbon) wheel set and no CCDBA CS. A pair of nice hoops and shock puts you near a s works cost wise. I chose to buy the comp, sold off the components I didn't want and used the proceeds to offset the cost of the upgrades (CCDBA, XX1, carbon wheel set). Came in at the cost of a Expert (with tax ). Yea I'm without a carbon front triangle, but my XL came in right at 30lb 3 oz. Sure 28 LBS would be nice, but something had to give! If I dropped the dropper and and used the stock shock I would be in the 28.5 range, but I LOVE the CCDBA CS coupled with the Pike. The bike simply rocks. I honestly can't find anything I would change. And I'm a picky bastard!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts