Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When researching a 1X conversion on my E29 Comp I did not run across some of these details so I thought I would post them here.

I was having difficulty finding the spacer to use on the main pivot when removing the taco blade. I made my own custom spacer detailed here.

I started with the drivetrain stock other than an XT 11-36 cassette and a SRAM X-9 PF30 (short spindle) crankset.

To start I ordered a Wolf Tooth 28t direct mount ring for short spindle SRAM PF30 cranks.

I quickly realized that when doing all the shifting with the rear der. I much preferred Shimano's double downshift feature on their shifters. I also like the "feel" on Shimano shifting better than SRAM...but the double downshift feature makes a big difference in 1X...why doesn't SRAM have this? So...I found some crazy Shimano prices in the "Deals" forum and ordered an XT shifter and Shadow+ rear der.

Anywhoo...with this setup my chainline was outboard of center by about one "cog-spacing" width. This is on Easton Haven wheels or a Chris King rear hub. In other words, the line was between 6 & 7 on the cassette instead of 5 & 6.

I wanted the chainline centered, if possible. I then installed a Wolf Tooth 28t direct mount for GXP/ long spindle PF30 SRAM ring.

Problem solved...chainline perfected. It now sits exactly between 5 & 6 on the cassette. However, with the GXP/ Long spindle ring on the short spindle PF30 crankset, 28t is the largest you can go on the E29. As you can see in the pics. clearance with the chainstay yolk is tight but acceptable. If I go to a larger ring I would have to go back to the Short spindle PF30 ring or try another option.

Pics:

20140407_130503.jpg 20140407_130558.jpg 20140408_072915.jpg 20140417_132843.jpg 20140417_133017.jpg

Additionally, I found a way to use an old Rollamajig. It noticeably lightened and improved the Shimano shifting by eliminating the tight housing loop at the rear der.

20140417_132853.jpg

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My other option was to install a North Shore Billet spider and use a SRAM XX1 chainring. I was going to use spacers to move the ring in a bit in search of a better chainline. Has anyone done this or something similar?

Fortunately the GXP ring from Wolf Tooth in size 28t works perfectly in this exact application. Like I said, any bigger on the chainring and it's back to the drawing board. I suppose the chainline between 6 & 7 was OK...it didn't seem to be causing any issues. I would just rather have perfect if possible. Done!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts