Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Roco TST-r, 8.72x2.75 as suggested by people as being a great rear shock to replace the DHX air.

I guess this would apply to any of the slightly longer stoke shocks people are fitting, but what is Specialized official policy on people running 2.75" of stroke?

Do they consider it within tollerances and still warranty the frame incase of any future incident?

I don't want to ride super hard, but want to fit a coil as I hear so many good things about them, especially compared to the air.

So, before I take the plunge and fit it, will I be saying goodbye to my lifetime warranty?

If so, it might just not be worth it...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Pretty much positive they wouldn't warranty a frame if you put a different size shock on it. But whats to stop you from putting the old shock back on if you broke something framewise?

Having said that, its mostly the chainstays that break on these bikes and they arent covered under warranty anyways.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Exactly what al-r said. I don't think it's dishonest, especially in your case, where you are not planning on 'going big' with a coil and a little more travel. You just want the plush coil ride and a little more travel adds a little more plush. Just throw on the air shock when it goes in to the shop.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, ok.

Was thinking of selling the air, but then, not many people want a shock that's 7.75" long with a stoke of 2.5".

I guess I need some new mounting hardware.

I think either Mr.P or Redrider11 said I can use the same reducer as the air, but if I am keeping it maybe I should buy a new pin. Anyone know where I can find them? And/or what size I need?

·
Registered
552 Posts
honest or not, lie to the mfg if it can get you a new frame. If they ask tell them you are running the stock coil, otherwise don't offer information to them.
That being said, when you send in a frame to be warrantied, just send the frame not the frame with the shock still installed. If you send the shock and frame together you could either lose the shock in the whole transfer of all the warranty B.S., or you might end up with an extra charge for the hassle of needing to remove the shock from the frame for inspection, warranty, and/or installation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.