Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am training for the Tahoe Sierra 100 in August and am looking for training partners in the Bay Area.

Anyone keen for some long rides with some vertical gain?

Richard

·
Registered
381 Posts
I might be doing an Epic or two at Henry Coe soon, but my schedule just got really crowded, so its going to be 4 - 6 weeks from now. I have a few contacts who are up for it, so should be a great ride or two. I assume if you're in that race a 7k day at 6 - 8 mph total average speed (including stops) sounds great?

There will also be a local grass-roots Tour De Peninsula which is 80 miles or something and around 12k in climbing, last year it took place on 4/24.

Have you rideen Soquel? I highly recommend the link above from heythorp, that will be a great day.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Another great ride (Krebbs Cycle Map - Bay Area Mtn Biking is good for planning this one) is in the Big Basin loop to, and through, Butano. Very very long, tons of climbing. There are a bunch of ways to link the trails, let me know if interested and I can tell you my favorite.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
LightMiner said:
Another great ride (Krebbs Cycle Map - Bay Area Mtn Biking is good for planning this one) is in the Big Basin loop to, and through, Butano. Very very long, tons of climbing. There are a bunch of ways to link the trails, let me know if interested and I can tell you my favorite.
I just moved out here about a year ago and have not hit Big Basin yet. I would like to see a loop you have put together. Thanks

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Yes

LightMiner said:
the Big Basin loop to, and through, Butano. Very very long, tons of climbing. There are a bunch of ways to link the trails, let me know if interested and I can tell you my favorite.
Great routes and under appreciated. I use them often. Most are very hardtail friendly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sure, and jms if you know the area feel free to comment on the route:

Big Basin Redwoods State Park Store / Parking
--1000 feet
Gazos Creek (east, connector)
Middle Ridge Rod (north, up, makes people cry)
Johansen (north, connector)
Butano Fire Trail (west, slight down)
Olmo Fire Road (se, down)
Find the store - if you do a halfway break, this is the place to do it, fill up on water, etc. here
Take roads to Butano Fire Trail, maybe 5 - 10 min?
--300 feet
Butano Fire Trail (east, up)
Johanset (sw, down)
Gazos Creek (east)
Back to Car

Roark29 - can you do 5 - 6 mph average speed (including stops) over a day? This ride is quite long and I'd only do it if I either started super early if 3 - 4 mph and that may be one of the big rides of the month, or if you can average 5 - 6 it will be fine. If you are doing the new TS100 I'm sure you will be fine, but just want to make sure we are all communicating the kind of ride we are talking about here.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you want a pre-ride at Big Basin to explore the area, this is what I call the "Three Fingers Big Basin Ride":

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40810700

Very fun, and very beautiful.

Here is my favourite ride in the whole Bay Area - El Corte de Madera Creek. Ignore my average speed on this, I was totally out of shape when I did this one :).

However, I'll say that average speed on this ride will be around 1/2 - 2/3rds at best of what you normally do because the terrain is that much steeper and harder than normal. South Leaf is one of the most technical trails in the whole Bay Area. This doesn't at all replicate normal MTB 100s in terms of terrain, but this does consist of the reason people mountain bike - this is the best there is from what I've seen.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30646118

I do want to change the start to CM02, and add Sierra Morena to get to the beginning of the trail as it is in that file.

24Solo, jms, others - try that El Corte de Madera ride and tell me what you think. I'd love feedback. I'll do a route description in next post, but I think you'll want to GPS, so starting with that. Its very complicated down there!

Map can be found here and at trailhead:

http://www.openspace.org/preserves/maps/pr_ecdm.pdf

Note it gets wet there, that is more of a summer place than a winter place. I'd wait three or four days after the last rain minimum.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ultimate El Corte De Madera Creek Ride

CM02
Sierra Morena Trail (north, up)
Fir Trail (west)
Resolution Trail (north, down)
North Leaf (south)
South Leaf (south)
Virginia Mill Trail (east, up)
Lawrence Creek Trail (east, up)
Blue Blossom Trail (west, down)
Spring Board Trail (east, up - good luck!)
CM05 - this is the place to have stashed water as you can drive here. Take a break here!
Bear Gulck Road (ne, connector)
CM04 - re-enter park here
(if you've never been to ECDM, find this, CM05 and CM02 in your car first, and be careful on Skyline!)
Connector to Steam Donkey (not sure of name while it goes north)
Steam Donkey (nw, down)
(this is a complicated area, use gps)
Crossover / Crosscut / Timberview (se, down)
Giant Salamander (north, down)
Methusaleh (ne, up)
Manzanita (south, down)
Timberview (north, up)
Methusaleh (se, connector)
CM02

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Lol!

LightMiner said:

Doesn't it though.

Nice Route. Here's one I've used:

Empire Grade > can't say > can't say > Pine Mtn. Service Rd. > Gazos > Middle Ridge > Johansen's > Butano Fire Rd. > Cloverdale > Butano Park HQ [reload on water] > up Olmo [induces uncontrollable sobbing] > Butano Fire Rd. > Johansen's > can't say > Gazos > B.B. Park HQ [reload on water/food] > Pine Mtn. Service Rd. > can't say > can't say > Empire Grade. @ 70 miles/10k.

My hardtail is down at the moment, but weather permitting, maybe next weekend?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Thanks, distance and vert?

LightMiner said:

Big Basin Redwoods State Park Store / Parking
--1000 feet
Gazos Creek (east, connector)
Johansen (north, connector)
Butano Fire Trail (west, slight down)
Olmo Fire Road (se, down)
Find the store - if you do a halfway break, this is the place to do it, fill up on water, etc. here
Take roads to Butano Fire Trail, maybe 5 - 10 min?
--300 feet
Butano Fire Trail (east, up)
Johanset (sw, down)
Gazos Creek (east)
Back to Car

Roark29 - can you do 5 - 6 mph average speed (including stops) over a day? This ride is quite long and I'd only do it if I either started super early if 3 - 4 mph and that may be one of the big rides of the month, or if you can average 5 - 6 it will be fine. If you are doing the new TS100 I'm sure you will be fine, but just want to make sure we are all communicating the kind of ride we are talking about here.

·
Registered
381 Posts
About 33 miles and maybe 6k feet? And it only adds around 7 miles of relatively easy flat road riding if you want to get to the ocean on the road if that isn't long enough. Its deceptive though, the ups are very steep, so consider it harder than a normal 6k or so ride.

So, lets see, jms, so I've obviously routed it through Butano specifically to come down Olmo and up the other way, you've got it the other way. So given that one is super-hard and the other is simply masochistic, its up to roark or heythorp to choose between the two :). Otherwise we've got the same route - if I'm reading it right you're starting a bit farther away. Do you live around there? If driving from somewhat far away starting at the Headquarters is good, no? If we want extra miles we can add the trip to the ocean.

I'd love to do this quite soon if people wanted to, but alas I'm tied up for a few more weekends. But anytime after March 20th I'm pretty open. I've also got a Henry Coe Epic I've been working on we could try if we get a little group together for these kinds of rides, could be fun.

If you guys want to do something in the short term, do the Soquel 10k day, I barely can't make it, was very annoyed to find I couldn't join in the 'fun'.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Almost

LightMiner said:
So, lets see, jms, so I've obviously routed it through Butano specifically to come down Olmo and up the other way, you've got it the other way. So given that one is super-hard and the other is simply masochistic, its up to roark or heythorp to choose between the two :). Otherwise we've got the same route - if I'm reading it right
Almost. There's two additional dirt climbs and descents.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LightMiner said:
I am good for 5 - 6 mph for the day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.