Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Whats more important to you in a endurance race?

  • Quality of the course, challenging but not a death march

    Votes: 59 80.8%
  • Cost

    Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Scene, food, family affair, music and so on.

    Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Time of year

    Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Registration, organization in general

    Votes: 16 21.9%
  • A famous racer coming to race

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to get some information, from people that have raced 12 or 24, or that are planning on it.
 

·
Trail rider and racer
Joined
·
4,691 Posts
As I voted: Quality of course is really important to me.

I generally won't go to a race if the course is crap or overly flat or just short in length because, its not challenging and bores me to death.

I think we are very spoilt in Australia. Endurance racing is so very popular and I think getting a quality race, with a good course, organization etc is what gives particular races a competitive advantage over others. I have yet to go to a single race where I have walked away thinking it was a waste of time.

The last 24 hour race I went to was great. The course was exhausting, challenging and fun. The race was held at an Endurance MX course and there was everything from warm showers, great food, live results that were customizable to peoples preferences, great DJs, a massive bomb fire at one end of the course (It was enormous) and all round great organization with a lively crew making sure things went smoothly on the day.

I did a series of 8 hour races and again organization was spot on. Every course was great, with 85% single track at worst and the majority being challenging and fun. AS I said that is the most important to me over anything else.

Alas, I couldn't care if the likes of Tinker et al came to a race or not, its all the amateurs and try hards that make the event.

Links to great Australian races.
http://www.corc.asn.au/24hr/index.asp
http://www.workingweekseries.com
http://www.sydney24hour.com
http://www.wsmtb.com/2004twelvehour/12hr_index.htm
 

·
formerly Giantxc
Joined
·
649 Posts
Follow up

Wasn't trying to be a prick and I voted this time.

I wrote what I did because I look for a good combination. A good course and good atmosphere are probably the 2 most important IMHO. That said, I'm not going to pay a $500 enterance fee to get them nor would I go if it was in the middle of winter at below freezing temps. Also if the organizers are a pain I may not go.

I've only done a few endurance races (want to do more next year) and I have to say the guys at Shenadoah Mountain Touring (mountaintouring.com) always put on a reliably good event. Great course, fun atmosphere (geared a bit more towards fun than pure competition), you get a lot for your $ and they are great to deal with.

I couldn't care less whether the pros show up or not.
 

·
Long Distance MTB
Joined
·
284 Posts
My opinion

1. Quality of the course, challenging but not a death march
2. Scene, food, family affair, music and so on
3. Cost
4. Registration, organization in general
5. Time of year
6. A famous racer coming to race

The definition for num 1 is perfect.
Number two is there because I always travel with family, I want them to enjoy the event, not just sitting or walking around for a full day.
I am a poor man, so cost is important also.
Organization is important to decide if I will come back next year, but I don't ask too much.
I guess the weather is important, but nobody schedules hard races in mid December or January, so everything else is ok.
A famous racer does not matter, I've been in some races where super stars where racing and have no idea who they are.
 

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys, see thats the kind of feedback I'm looking

for. The reason I created the poll is because people are a little lazy about giving responses. So I came up with a few question that capture the different ideas.

By the way my favorite is course, second organization in general.
 

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
People please vote, no writing needed

moab63 said:
trying to get some information, from people that have raced 12 or 24, or that are planning on it.
thanks I want at least 100 votes :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,438 Posts
Course, course, course

it has to be challenging and it has to be fun, not a fireroad century for example.

Atmosphere is second for me, I like laid back, relaxed, a neighborly type atmosphere. I think that's one reason so many love the Cascade Creampuff, beautiful demanding riding, and wonderful people.

From what I've heard Bigfoot offers the same, and I'm looking forward to that experience this weekend.
 

·
shaved yeti
Joined
·
430 Posts
atmosphere is most important

Roger___ said:
Atmosphere is second for me, I like laid back, relaxed, a neighborly type atmosphere. I think that's one reason so many love the Cascade Creampuff, beautiful demanding riding, and wonderful people.
Couple of years ago, was doing the best race of my life, and next thing you know the wife is bike-jacking me, and the car is already loaded up and everybody is ready to go.

The course can be poor, but if I'm gonna finish, there's gotta be something to keep the family busy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
The course layout is obviously the most important but it still has to be reasonable as far as cost or I can't do it. It could be the best course in the world but it won't do me any good if I can't afford it. The atmosphere is nice if one brings friends or family along and the organizers are obviously important in that if you have poor organizers the rest of the items probably suffer as well. Big name racers can be good in that they draw more quality competition to the races and help ensure that they are able to continue from year to year but I don't get a big thrill out of seeing the big names. Definitely looking forward to the 12 hours of Humboldt as the other Bigfoot races I've done thus far have been a great time.
 

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats the kind of answers I'm looking for guys, I'm

promoting a 12hr race next year and I'm looking for the best mix and the people who do the actual racing is what matters. I race along with my wife and son but I'm still need more input. Again thanks for answering and voting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Course...and

Definatly would have to say course is important... A good course will make or break a race, if it's good they will come back, if the course is crap then Next time around no one will be there :confused: Also no point making a course too difficult, you want tough, but not something that is unrideable to all those that aren't Elite riders.

Organization, Atmosphere, Facilities: are all Important... It means you can take the S/O or the family with you and they wont be too bored. Also showers and such are a great help to riders 12 or 24hrs of dust can be quiet disgusting. Organization is usefull, it helps to know what is going on, a well run race with a decent course are usually those that are remembered and talked about.

Cost: This is always important, not everyone can afford to fork out say $400 just on race entry... Simple fact is not many will pay that much for race entry.

Time of Year: Here in Australia we take it as it comes... At an 8hr during Feb (summer) it was an all round mud fest, the weekend after at a 6hr it was hot and dry conditions. Obviously if it snows, or is rather cold during winter or very hot in summer, that may not be the best time to hold the race.

Famous Racers: Really who gives a **** if I'm passing or being passed, Josh Street, Tinker, or who ever else....

Hope that helps some :)
-Cul
 

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool answers

CulBaire said:
Definatly would have to say course is important... A good course will make or break a race, if it's good they will come back, if the course is crap then Next time around no one will be there :confused: Also no point making a course too difficult, you want tough, but not something that is unrideable to all those that aren't Elite riders.

Organization, Atmosphere, Facilities: are all Important... It means you can take the S/O or the family with you and they wont be too bored. Also showers and such are a great help to riders 12 or 24hrs of dust can be quiet disgusting. Organization is usefull, it helps to know what is going on, a well run race with a decent course are usually those that are remembered and talked about.

Cost: This is always important, not everyone can afford to fork out say $400 just on race entry... Simple fact is not many will pay that much for race entry.

Time of Year: Here in Australia we take it as it comes... At an 8hr during Feb (summer) it was an all round mud fest, the weekend after at a 6hr it was hot and dry conditions. Obviously if it snows, or is rather cold during winter or very hot in summer, that may not be the best time to hold the race.

Famous Racers: Really who gives a **** if I'm passing or being passed, Josh Street, Tinker, or who ever else....

Hope that helps some :)
-Cul
Seems no matter where people are course is KING, which was my feeling to begin with. I´m almost at 100 answers not bad what more votes. please vote. :D
 

·
XCdude
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Question about my own poll, when I checked the votes

I counted over 100, I know my math can be a little suspect at times. But the autocounter list only 65 votes why the difference :confused: Just wondering Thanks to all the people that have voted so far.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top