Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month and a half ago I switched to Crank Bros. mallet pedals after using SPDs for over 10 years. Now when I endo it seems I can't unclick and slam badly instead of jumping over my bike like I've always been able to. I like the Crank Bros. pedals but now I'm thinking they might be death traps. Anyone else think they're dangerous?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Eddie Mudster said:
A month and a half ago I switched to Crank Bros. mallet pedals after using SPDs for over 10 years. Now when I endo it seems I can't unclick and slam badly instead of jumping over my bike like I've always been able to. I like the Crank Bros. pedals but now I'm thinking they might be death traps. Anyone else think they're dangerous?
They release just fine for me, both the Eggbeaters and the Mallets.

·
Banned
656 Posts
Same here, I use beaters and Ive fallen "gracefully" over my handlebars a few times. I recall being surprised how smooth my landings were. I dont think its crank bros fault. :cool:

·
Registered
227 Posts
wierd

I had a dream about this last night............Just put my mallets on, took them for a xc ride on my hardtail, pretty mellow trails. My dream had me swapping them onto my FS and going over the bars at speed down a nasty rock garden. Ouch!

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
are you sure

Eddie Mudster said:
That your shoes aren't the problem?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bluronthetrails said:
That your shoes aren't the problem?
I'm using Answer Speeder '01 shoes, they don't seem to have any tread problems. I have the cleats set to the easier to release position and don't have any problems except when I'm going over the bars.

·
Registered
145 Posts
How often have you gone over the bars

Eddie Mudster said:
I'm using Answer Speeder '01 shoes, they don't seem to have any tread problems. I have the cleats set to the easier to release position and don't have any problems except when I'm going over the bars.
in the past 6 weeks? Seems like a lot of pain.

I have both regular eggs as well as candys and use Answer XC-1s and the last endo I suffered, I recall landing and realizing I was out of my pedals, almost without even thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I think they're all dangerous

that's why I ride PowerGrips. I know with certainty I will never crash because of my pedals, and knowing that makes me a better rider.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I agree, Crank Bros. don't release unless you twist your foot. If you don't have time to think about twisting you're locked in. SPD's will release in any position and the tension holding you in is adjustable. CB's are not adjustable.

·
suck it trebeK
418 Posts
Likely they need adjusting, and you're also just used to the SPDs. Get down close to the pedal and release the shoe with your hand,--watching for any places where the shoe interferes with the pedal. You can trim the shoes with a knife, and maybe the cleat needs more adjusting or shims.

·
Registered
112 Posts
egg beater release

sstaurus said:
Likely they need adjusting, and you're also just used to the SPDs. Get down close to the pedal and release the shoe with your hand,--watching for any places where the shoe interferes with the pedal. You can trim the shoes with a knife, and maybe the cleat needs more adjusting or shims.
I agree. I have used EBs for 3 years with Sidi, Shimano and Gaerne shoes. Haven't had to trim these, but this would be good to check. I have yet to have a high speed yard sale crash that I didn't get clipped out of before I hit the ground. Low speed crashes sure, I've fallen over at O mph still clipped in. But in the hit-a-big-rock/root-fly-through-the-air endo, I've never stayed clipped in to the ground. Generally the bike is going one way and I'm going the other, and that is enough of a twist to get unclipped. OTOH, my WORST endo was with SPDs when I got UNCLIPPED UNITENTIONALLY. Was furiously pedaling on straight, nearly flat ground, hit a small bump that twisted me just a little and unclipped my right foot. The fork turned a little and my foot went through the spokes and wedged against the fork leg, breaking out half the spokes before I went over the bars, still clipped in with the left, and landed flat on my back. I may have had the tension adjusted too loose, but any tighter and I couldn't reliably get my foot out. I have yet to get unintentionally unclipped with the EBs, unless my foot hit a rock or root. I vote for Eggbeaters as the easiest to use, lowest maintenance, and safest pedal. On a cost/weight ratio they are a bargain too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
well i'm using candy sl's and the other day i went over the bars for the first time and it felt like i glided over the bars....the whole action seemed like it went very smoothily and the fact that i went over and did not fall on my back i clipped out just fine.

i think since i went over i sort of turned my body/legs/foot so clipping out shouldn't be a problem if u go over. the bars.....

If anyting you'll have one foot still clipped in .

·
uofabill
213 Posts
They didn't work for me..

I got some regular egg beaters when they first came out, I'd been using Times which I really like. I probably didn't give them a fair test because I didn't get them broken in good on my normal trails. Rode the E.B.'s one weekend on my reg. trail and took off on a riding trip in Mexico. Those pedals were a disaster for me on that trip. I don't know how many zero speed falls I took, way too many. My shins and kness looked like hamburger. I just couldn't get unclipped, like I can with my Times. Again I am at fault for not getting comfortable using them and breaking the cleats in before I launched off on a trip on a bunch of totally unknown trails.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I have no experience with CB, but I rode a friends bike with shimano SPD DH style pedals with platforms and I found them horribly difficult to unclip from. I'm 99% certain the platforms were interferring with the treads on my shoes, limiting my ability to unclip. I've been riding 959's lately, with the tension turned up quite a bit, and it seems hard to get out of when I'm just piddling around, but for those "oh crap!!!" moments, my feet pop out instantly without any thought, and imo that's what counts.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cut down the tread on my shoes yesterday with a grinding wheel, the middle area had too much contact with the mallet cage. They don't touch anymore while clicked in and releasing is much easier now.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I think I'll try that also because I have the same problem as you...

I bought some Mallet and this weekend I fell down at least 5 times because I could not unclip, specially the left feet. I've been using regular clips for years without problems. I was telling myself that I have to give it some time to get myself adjusted to this new system but tonight I'll check my shoes. It's funny because they are so easy to clip in. I really like them so I hope I don't have to pull the plug on them.

Eddie Mudster said:
I cut down the tread on my shoes yesterday with a grinding wheel, the middle area had too much contact with the mallet cage. They don't touch anymore while clicked in and releasing is much easier now.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
This mornings commute

I'm out the door, hop on my bike heading to work this morning and dang, I forgot to put my flats on last night. Here I am riding in my Hitech Magnums (lightweight nylon leather kinda combat boots) on my Eggbeater S's. I loved those pedals but now even a bump in the road is bouncing my feet off. I wish I'd had time to go back in and swap back to my 88 XT's but I didn't give myself enough time for stupidity.

·
outclassed by his bike
365 Posts
Jury still out

Eddie Mudster said:
I like the Crank Bros. pedals but now I'm thinking they might be death traps. Anyone else think they're dangerous?
A month ago I switched from Ritchey SPD clones to eggbeaters (not Mallets). The eggbeaters are WAY easier to get in and out of under normal conditions. However, I have now twice taken frightening awkward low-speed falls when I could not get out of the eggbeaters. This never happened with my crummy old pedals; I could always get out, however inelegantly, if I yanked hard enough. There are certain angles where it?s just hard to do the ?pure twist? you have to do to get out of the eggbeaters. Specifically, when you?re unclipped on one side, ready to lean to that side and put a foot down, but then unexpectedly end up going over the other way (toward the clipped-in side), so that most of your body is on the far side of the bike from your still-clipped-in foot. At that point, it?s virtually impossible to twist your foot enough to clip out.

So as far as I?m concerned the jury is still out on the eggbeaters, and I?ve bought some knee/shin pads to hedge my bets.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.