Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody try the Endomorphs on "regular" rims? I'm talking regular XC mountain bike rims. I read that it's not recommended...but then again I run most of my tires below the minimum recommended pressure and THEY ROCK! so I'm wondering....maybe? I want to fit a fatty tire in my Pace 29" fork and happen to have a "regular" 26" front wheel available. Thanks :)

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
What's the spacing between the blades on your Pace? Odds are it won't fit, even on a narrow rim. The problem you'd have with running it on a narrower rim is you have to keep the pressure higher, thus negating the benefits of the Endomorph. I probably wouldn't run it on anything much less than a 50mm rim.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got 3.5 inches between the fork blades, maybe a bit more, so I'm thinking a 3.3 inch wide tire would be fine. The more narrow rim would round out the tire and narrow it a bit making it maybe narrow enough. Why would I have to run higher pressures?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wouldn't try it. Besides having clearance issues, you'd have some serious sidewall roll , even if you could. Just for the large marge or simmilar "wide" rims.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Fastskiguy said:
I've got 3.5 inches between the fork blades, maybe a bit more, so I'm thinking a 3.3 inch wide tire would be fine. The more narrow rim would round out the tire and narrow it a bit making it maybe narrow enough. Why would I have to run higher pressures?
A narrow rim is more prone to pinch flats. The tire can't flatten out between the beads. More pressure is required to keep the tire off the rim. At the widest, my Endomorphs measure out to 93mm on Large Marges. Maybe it'd work on a 30mm rim. Just put a Pug fork on. There's one on eBay ending today.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying to get something for winter riding without spending money. The fork is a good idea but it's the wheel where the price starts to add up. Slapping a fatter tire would give me a chance to try it without spending hundreds. I can't believe nobody has tried this! I might have to give it a go. I'll keep ya'll posted :) Thanks for the comments :)

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,120 Posts
There's actually quite a large contingent of guys up here running SnoCat rims as a lighter alternative for the harder packed conditions on all manners of FatBikes. Single wall, one inch holes drilled between the spoke holes, and 44mm wide. Not nearly the flotation, but a way lighter, viable alternative. There's even a local rental business here that will give you your choice of SnoCats, Large Marge's, or 80mm rims. Different characteristics for sure, but all well used.

Attachments

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EndoRando said:
There's actually quite a large contingent of guys up here running SnoCat rims as a lighter alternative for the harder packed conditions on all manners of FatBikes. Single wall, one inch holes drilled between the spoke holes, and 44mm wide. Not nearly the flotation, but a way lighter, viable alternative. There's even a local rental business here that will give you your choice of SnoCats, Large Marge's, or 80mm rims. Different characteristics for sure, but all well used.
LOL, I can see my idea of "narrow" and the idea of narrow in the snow bike world are a little different :) But if 44mm works, why wouldn't 25mm work? I am familiar with rolling tires from my cross racing, I'm not too worried about it on the snow because I don't plan on doing much cornering and no hard cornering at all. I figure if I can run my cross tires at 30psi then even on a narrow rim I could run a 3.7" tire pretty low. Is this making any sense or am I completely off the mark here? For the cost of a tire and a tube I could be in "Fat City" or at least on the outskirts ;)

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
I agree you'll have to run the tire pressure higher than normal, because if you run low pressures you'll likely have an enormous amount of tire roll even under slow turning. If it works you will have a really fat tire though (like you want). I just don't think it'll work on a 'normal' rim.

I'd think you'd be better off spending the $110 that a tire and tube will cost on a fat rim.

Plus if the tire doesn't work you'll have to buy a fatter rim anyway.

A 2.7 Nevegal on a Large Marge rim runs about 75mm at it's widest point, so that's one way to get a fat tire.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mplsmtb said:
I agree you'll have to run the tire pressure higher than normal, because if you run low pressures you'll likely have an enormous amount of tire roll even under slow turning. If it works you will have a really fat tire though (like you want). I just don't think it'll work on a 'normal' rim.

I'd think you'd be better off spending the $110 that a tire and tube will cost on a fat rim.

Plus if the tire doesn't work you'll have to buy a fatter rim anyway.

A 2.7 Nevegal on a Large Marge rim runs about 75mm at it's widest point, so that's one way to get a fat tire.
75mm huh, that'd fit just right on my current bike and I'd be set if I ever went whole-hog on the winter riding. I've got a 2.XX" fattie 26" tires I could use too. I like this idea :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.