Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I flatted yesterday and will change mine over. I also had problems with the bead separating at low pressure (tubes were too small, switching to Surly tubes now). Do you guys glue the bead? If so, how do you do it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I run front and rear reverse. I ride only on snow and ice in the mountians of MT. I get great traction on the big steep pulls. On the edge ice [ truck tire ruts] nothing helps. I don't have studs on the pugs because the tires are expensive and I don't want to ruin them. In my opinion winter riding is the most technical riding there is,where I ride anyways.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Regardless of...

...imperceptible performance enhancements at low speed (I am SLOW), I like to run both my tires so that the imprint "points" in the direction I am going...helps keep me from getting lost in the dark after riding for a couple hours...There isn't much of a trail "system" here in Bethel...just a BUNCH of trails that eventually go somewhere...with some Very inconvenient places to get "turned around"...plus makes it easier for the SAR guys (and gals) to find me...

·
no dabs
476 Posts
damnitman said:
...imperceptible performance enhancements at low speed (I am SLOW), I like to run both my tires so that the imprint "points" in the direction I am going...helps keep me from getting lost in the dark after riding for a couple hours...There isn't much of a trail "system" here in Bethel...just a BUNCH of trails that eventually go somewhere...with some Very inconvenient places to get "turned around"...plus makes it easier for the SAR guys (and gals) to find me...
I got "lost" a couple nights ago on some memory maze trails I have mostly well memorized, on a pitch black night. I took a trail I knew well in the summer, and knew exactly where I would be at the next intersection. Well, the next intersection wasn't familiar, so I took a right. If I am lost on the island, I keep taking right turns until I end up somewhere familiar. I swear I took only right turns at every intersection (about a dozen of them), and about and hour later I finally arrived at the "next" intersection I was expecting, but from the wrong direction! I looked down, and I had passed through that intersection already! Maybe I need a brighter light...

I weave often enough avoiding the groomed ski ruts that it is easy to tell which direction I was headed by the overlap of front and rear tracks (rear is on top, and cuts a tighter curve than the front).

Which Bethel? If it is Bethel Maine, have you been out on the trails that go up to the ice caves yet this year?

Oops, way off topic. I've got not much to add to the traction discussion until I flip tires, and then I won't know which is better because I will compare backwards and worn leading edges to frontwards and sharp leading edges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.