Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get an Endo while I still can and I was wondering your opinions on paying the extra for the ccdb versus just running the rp23. I run an rp23 on my current frame and think it's a great shock but the ccdb is pretty pimp (never owned one) however I don't know if it's REALLY worth the extra bread? Plus I'm gonna drop money right away on a ti spring too so it's a big decision. If the rp23 is solid on the Endo I don't want to upgrade (price and weight) just do be a bike whore. :) Plus with the money I don't spend I can spend more on a better fork. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It's a great upgrade no doubt, but if your goal is to shed weight its counter productive. I would start with the RP23 and see how you like it.If it's not doing what you want you can always get it tuned by Push to make it feel more of how you want.

I'm really interested in how the new Push Monarch is with the Endo.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
I haven't tried the CCBD. The RP23 works pretty good overal on the Endo. I just switched to a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 and it's a nice upgrade if you're willing to trade a little on the pedaling department for better traction overall.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
I like my DHX Air 5.0! I added some rubber orings to the air can to make it more progressive (and wallow less).

I tried an older (no boost) RP23 and found it to be alittle spikey.

My 2c.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Hey Zod, what shock is coming on the Endo...or is that the decision you need to make first?

If you have never ridden an Endo you'll going to find that the suspension is very good with most air shocks.

You can always add a DB later if you want! :p

What type of riding are you mainly going to be doing also?

That could be very relevent!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have had a DHX air, RP23 and CCDB on my Endorphin. The CCDB is definitely the best, but if cost or weight is a factor then then the RP23 is an easy choice. In my opinion, the RP23 s a better performing shock than the DHX air and is cheaper and lighter.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
BryanS. said:
I have had a DHX air, RP23 and CCDB on my Endorphin. The CCDB is definitely the best, but if cost or weight is a factor then then the RP23 is an easy choice. In my opinion, the RP23 s a better performing shock than the DHX air and is cheaper and lighter.
BryanS, what didn't you like about the DHX Air compared to the RP23?

Is your DHX a newer one with the on/off Propedal switch?

Just curious! :D

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
If you do get the RP23 make sure you get the low compression/low rebound tune at the very least. I got an endo direct from Knolly that came with a high compression/medium rebound tune that was,imho, terrible. So make sure you ask what tune it is before you buy. I regret not doing so.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the frame without a shock and order a Push Monarch RT series shock to begin with. I talked to Push and they feel the push Monarch is a better performing shock than the push RP23 on the endo.

·
Registered
197 Posts
08 DHX Air with the knob for propedal. I find the DHX Air wallows in the mid stroke a bit whereas the 2010 RP23 feels like it doesn't ride as deep in its travel and it feels more consistent through its travel. I would be interested in seeing a spring rate graph for each shock. I suspect that there is a big drop off on the spring rate of the DHX air around halfway through its stroke.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
metajkt said:
how's the ccdb on climbs though? going down i bet it's a whollotta improvement
The best way I can describe it is very predictable. I came from a DHXA and if found everything the CCDB did was improved all across the board.

Avoid the DHXA whoever was talking about it, the endo was my 2nd frame I've used one with and its not worth the "upgrade" money to say the least.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
BryanS. said:
08 DHX Air with the knob for propedal. I find the DHX Air wallows in the mid stroke a bit whereas the 2010 RP23 feels like it doesn't ride as deep in its travel and it feels more consistent through its travel. I would be interested in seeing a spring rate graph for each shock. I suspect that there is a big drop off on the spring rate of the DHX air around halfway through its stroke.
That's the same year I have too!

I have read reviews about this wallow in the mid stroke...never experienced myself..only weigh 175-180lbs tho.

I guess that's due to the larger amount of air volume with the resorvoir and larger air can that most of the DHX's came with..

Read a fix for this in a forum here using "industrail rubber" (I used large o-rings) inserted into the air can to reduce this larger volume.

It works...but might be alot more than most people will want to go through to make a shock work! :eekster:

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
beefmagic said:
If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the frame without a shock and order a Push Monarch RT series shock to begin with. I talked to Push and they feel the push Monarch is a better performing shock than the push RP23 on the endo.
If it is... the Monarch must be truly amazing because the PUSHed RP23 I'm currently using on the Endo is pretty sweet ! Oh speaking of which , I have this shock sittin around waiting for the 72 inches of snow to melt ! :mad:

A good coil shock is hard to beat but air shocks sure seem to be getting better ! TIG.

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
TIGMAN said:
If it is... the Monarch must be truly amazing because the PUSHed RP23 I'm currently using on the Endo is pretty sweet ! Oh speaking of which , I have this shock sittin around waiting for the 72 inches of snow to melt ! :mad:

A good coil shock is hard to beat but air shocks sure seem to be getting better ! TIG.
That's what I thought too. I hope it's not hyperbole. I was waiting for your feedback but got impatient! :) It worked out to be a little cheaper for me to pick up the Pushed Monarch RT anyway after selling the RP23 so I thought why not. IIRC, Push says the Monarch is very similiar to the RP23 but the Monarch's chassis has more room for them to do their work and make better adjustments.

I hope it lives up to the hype. I'll post my feedback on the shock when I get it (not until Mid-April:madman: they are out of stock on the endo's size) so maybe you'll beat me to the punch even with the 72 inches of snow!

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A lot of good information here! I appreciate it. After lots of thought and fighting off self-pressure from the devil on my shoulder to go full bike-whore I'm going to start with the RP23 and see how that goes. Reason being I want to buy a new fork for this build and can go with the Talas if I keep the shock on the cheap.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Probably the best thing to do! What year Talas you getting..a close-out RC2 or newer RCL version.

I'm assuming you meant a Fox 36 Talas. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.