Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a Moots MonsterX bike. Rode it all over the state--dirt road, doubletrack, and lotsa singletrack.

I even had a set of deep section carbon road wheels laced up for it, but in ~2 years I realized I'd only actually used the road wheels on one day ride. One! What a waste--of wheels.

I also have a pretty OK snowbike. But it's so purpose specific that I hate taking it out and beating on it in the rocks (our snow trails are still pretty chunky...). And I hate riding it through the sleet and slop and road grime all winter. Call me a snob (the shoe fits!) but I think it's a shame to beat the tar outta this bike. I want it to last at least as long as I do on this planet.

So I got to thinking...

Why not punt the MX bike and build a newer, more appropriate dual-purpose bike?

If not for the arrival of Larry this fall that thought might never have gained any momentum.

But Larry, oh luscious Larry...

...he's changed everything.

Suddenly you can ride a snowbike like a mountain bike again. Carving turns. Leaning and drifting. And sliding, but *predictably*, which many of us had forgotten makes all the difference.

See where I'm going with this?

I wanted a mountain bike. One that I could stick 29" wheels onto and ride, grinning, all over Joseph Smith's green earth. And then, in winter, I could stick psick phatties onto it and ride all over jehovah's whiteness.

A drawing, a few phone calls, and lots of back and forth followed. Brad @ Moots happened to be starting a similar build for himself. More ideas. Tweaked drawings. Water jet cut yokes. Then some thinkering, lots of measuring, cutting, mitering, machining. And some gorgeous welds.

If you look closely, this frame and my now-departed MX frame are pretty dang similar. The differences, aside from tire clearance, are in the very fine details. Once I actually have the frame here I'll go into detail on those, um, details.

Cheers,

MC

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tscheezy said:
That's why I always had a Thudbuster on my Pugs. :)

I think some small Ti springs in place of the elastomers would be great for cold weather.
I don't know how much of a factor our local temps will be on the coil/elastomer YBB unit. This isn't gonna be an AK bike--it's for me to beat on daily locally, and to occasionally loan out to friends that want to tag along on CO/UT/WY/AZ and maaaaaaaybe MN winter overnighters. Since the main spring is coil (albeit lowly steel ;) ) and the elastomer is but a minor part of the equation (intended and succeeding, IMO, to act as crude damping), it may just be fine as is.

But, since you mentioned it: Any idea on where a guy might hypothetically find a supplier for a ti spring? :D

1 - 20 of 209 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.