Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far no signs of a 2021 Vertex on the RM site. They just have the Element in the XC section.

Is this it? I know the HT XC bikes are off trend, and I can't image they have been selling many but it would be disappointing to see RM no longer offer one after all of these years.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Frame only for 2021. I think they have enough athletes on the thing to keep it around for a little bit yet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
2 Things:

1) Hardtails are less and less popular all the time
2) Unfortunately, at least in my humble opinion, the latest Vertex frame isn't that great of a hardtail. I sold my 2018 Vertex, but kept my 2017 Vertex - that's one of the best hardtail frames I've ever ridden. Too bad they couldn't have just kept the same geometry but made the frame fit 148 rear hub. That's the biggest frustration with my 2017 Vertex is that I can't put any of my newer wheel sets on it (well at least not the rear wheel). But when they switched the geometry in 2018, I see what they were trying to do, but overall, it just doesn't succeed as a great feeling bike, as i said, in my opinion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
just curious about what you feel holds the current vertex back? I have one from 2020 that has some carbon hoops, full xt 12 sp and carbon post and bar. I swore off hardtails years ago and grabbed one because it was a solid deal and works on some local trails. I can't say that it is the best bike ever because it is a hardtail, but I do like it. where does it lose points for you?

·
Registered
220 Posts
just curious about what you feel holds the current vertex back? I have one from 2020 that has some carbon hoops, full xt 12 sp and carbon post and bar. I swore off hardtails years ago and grabbed one because it was a solid deal and works on some local trails. I can't say that it is the best bike ever because it is a hardtail, but I do like it. where does it lose points for you?
Well, you can probably take my opinion with a grain of salt, as different geometries work best for different people. For me, I was just able to corner faster on the 2017 XL vs the 2018 XL (which I believe is identical to the 2020 model). This may have to do with the wheel base being a little shorter on the 2017. In contrast, I couldn't really find any places in riding or racing where I felt the 2018 was better than the 2017. The 2017 just had something that felt "just right" to me when riding that the 2018 was missing.

I switched to the 2018 for the 2018 season and gave the 2017 Vertex to my son to ride. However, I noticed that I never felt quite as fast or beat any of my PR's (up or down) on the newer frame, even though it had carbon rims, and the older one had allow rims, so toward the end of that season, I got my son a fs bike that he wanted, took the 2017 Vertex back for myself, and sold the 2018. I now mainly only use my Vertex for XC racing, as most days, even for long rides with lots of climbing, and even if the trails aren't too technical, I still find that I prefer my Instinct. But when I do ride my 2017 Vertex, it still just feels really great, like I just have some sort of connection with that bike. I actually just got back from a fun ride on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
whatever works amirite? good to find a bike that you connect with. it is a shame that things move so quickly with frames and geo as you're likely forced to upgrade every couple of years to stay relevant, or you get stuck with a frame for a very long time (good or bad).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts